Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 27, 11, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by scubadiver View Post
I called. They will send me a form. Resolution will take 4-6 weeks! Unclear if resolution will be in my favor. Grrrrr!
I think they tell everyone 4-6 weeks. Mine was significantly less. You can also download the CNR form from their website and fax it back to them if you don't want to wait for the mail.
Old Jun 27, 11, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
That does not make sense; there is no fee to cash advance a Debit card
I opened a Citi savings account for 20K AA miles with a $25K deposit from my Chase United Debit Visa card that was SUPPOSED to be processed as a non-PIN debit card transaction (purchase) that would give me 25K United miles on top of the 20K AA miles for the Citi account. Citi processed it as a cash advance and Chase charged me a 3% !!!! fee = $750. Went all the way up to the executive office, but no dice in reversing it. Chase has been VERY VERY good to me so I don't want to rock the boat. $750 is a drop in the bucket with all of my credit card churning, coins, etc...

Yes, $750 - ouch !... but I'm still ahead $1,250 in coins !

Last edited by PatMike; Jun 27, 11 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 27, 11, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
That does not make sense; there is no fee to cash advance a Debit card
I was with you on this one until I looked it up. Chase has something called "Non-ATM Cash Fee". It is 3% of the purchase when you use it to get cash with out a PIN. An exampled they give is at bank branch tellers.
Old Jun 27, 11, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
Hmm.. maybe I should change the e-mail address then. Did you make an account or order as a guest?

I wonder when they will drop the pre-authorization considering $4K of my credit limit is gone from past orders that were cancelled. This is really frustrating..
I have an account with the email address as the account user name with each credit card
Old Jun 27, 11, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PatMike View Post
I opened a Citi savings account for 20K AA miles with a $25K deposit from my Chase United Debit Visa card that was SUPPOSED to be processed as a non-PIN debit card transaction (purchase) that would give me 25K United miles on top of the 20K AA miles for the Citi account. Citi processed it as a cash advance and Chase charged me a 3% !!!! fee = $750. Went all the way up to the executive office, but no dice in reversing it. Chase has been VERY VERY good to me so I don't want to rock the boat. $750 is a drop in the bucket with all of my credit card churning, coins, etc...

Yes, $750 - ouch !... but I'm still ahead $1,250 in coins !
Your story is confusing.

By definition, a debit card transaction whether it is PIN or Non-PIN, the amount is deducted directly from your bank account without "float" period. The PIN is immediately, literally within seconds. The Non-PIN is within a couple days.

The only time you would be out of money, should be in the form of Overdraft, not Cash Advance. If you have money in your bank account to cover the charge, how can this be a Cash Advance? Are you saying that Chase charged you Cash Advance even though you had enough money covering the purchase? That does not sound right.
Old Jun 27, 11, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
I was with you on this one until I looked it up. Chase has something called "Non-ATM Cash Fee". It is 3% of the purchase when you use it to get cash with out a PIN. An exampled they give is at bank branch tellers.
Why would anyone do that? At a bank branch why can't one either use the ATM or if the amount needed exceeds the ATM limit, one could write a counter check to get cash from one's own account, no?
Old Jun 27, 11, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadiver View Post
I called. They will send me a form. Resolution will take 4-6 weeks! Unclear if resolution will be in my favor. Grrrrr!
Read the FAQ on Mint site. You can download the form online without waiting it from mail.

At this time of the year (quarterly and semi-annually inventory time), the process can take 3 to 4 weeks. I had a short-shipment about a year ago in 2nd half of June and it was resolved just after July 4th holiday. The weight label on mine was clearly underweight approximately by the short-shipment, 14xxlb versus nearly 19lb.
Old Jun 27, 11, 7:01 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Hey, ain't there some law against passing bad money? This stuff ain't backed by anything and I hear the issuer may soon be deadbeating on its obligations. Anyone checked those coins to see if they say they are legal tender for all debts, public and private? Maybe that is why so many banks don't want to take 'em?

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
silliest thing I have ever heard of in FT

One cannot go to jail or get in trouble for trying to deposit these coins or any of their money into the bank.

no way.

simply put: I have EVIDENCE of failed attempts to spend these things and so when I am left with extra coins, they have to go to the bank. So if my box of $1k comes to me and I have no luck in using the first say $250 to:

pay town taxes
pay the baby sitter
pay the pizza place
pay my local gas station
etc
because these people do not want to accept the coins...

and now I have say $200 of that box left (cuz I was able to get rid of some) and I still have the other 3 boxes of $750, there is NOTHING preventing me from just giving up and taking the whole lot of my own us currency into the bank. It woud be criminal for me TO be prevented. And sure, some banks may not wish to receive them but then I could go to another, or even use a coin machine (and when you are not an account holder at a bank that has one, there's a small fee). As well, if I were to pay a bill at that bank, such as its equity line or a CC I have there, they are more inclined to have to take the money.

this has all been hashed out in here one way or another
Old Jun 27, 11, 7:05 pm

Rec'd $1K TJs today

I got my next to last order of coins today..the TJs...now waiting for the NAs in process. The Mint is slow, but the arrive...eventually...
Old Jun 27, 11, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Why would anyone do that? At a bank branch why can't one either use the ATM or if the amount needed exceeds the ATM limit, one could write a counter check to get cash from one's own account, no?
Not sure why someone would do that but it explains why the 3% fee was charged on funding the savings account.
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Your story is confusing.

Are you saying that Chase charged you Cash Advance even though you had enough money covering the purchase? That does not sound right.
YES they charged a 3% FEE !
I know it seems ridiculous.

OK - Sorry to complicate the Mint thread with non-Mint info. My only point in my original post was that I was ahead in the points/miles game because of an extra shipment of coins....

You used to be able to get miles by opening Citibank accounts with a mileage credit card. Citi would process it as a purchase. Bada-bing - you have miles! For this AA Citibank account, my branch would not take a credit card (Citi or Chase) for funding, so I (not so) cleverly used my Chase United debit card for the $25,000 funding deposit. The Chase debit card earns United miles if the transaction is processed as a non-Pin transaction. I make a lot of tax payments (and get United miles) with it since there is a very minimal fee for paying Fed taxes (and some property taxes) with a debit card. Chase is eliminating mileage earning for debit cards July 12. I digress.

I made the $25,000 deposit into my NEW Citi account with my Chase United Debit card, and yes, I did have $25,000 in my Chase account. I was hoping to get 25K United miles.

When the $750 charge showed up the following day, I was livid!

So basically, I used MY OWN money, and they charged me $750, because of the unknown to me 3% fee clause.

Trust me, I went all the way up the food chain to dispute it, to no avail.

P.S. I didn't even get the 25,000 United miles !

Sorry to sound like a Marathon Man post...
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:14 pm

The PIN is immediately, literally within seconds. The Non-PIN is within a couple days.
Not so -
Whenever I use this debit card (Chase United), usually for taxes or coins, the transaction is ALWAYS non-pin (that is the only way to get miles) and the funds are taken out of my account immediately.
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:16 pm

To get miles, of course.
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
Not sure why someone would do that
To get miles.
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:26 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>Sorry to sound like a Marathon Man post...

The ever growing coins thread is like my daily crack fix

Search this Thread
Search Engine: