Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 23, 11, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Speaking to a supervisor or even the local depot is unnecessary. Any rep at the 1-800 number can process a Hold request.
No, in theory you dont. In reality it is YMMV.

Unfortunately in my town, speaking to a supervisor seems to be the better approach. Of course if you get the same result with speaking to anyone at 1-800, more power to you.

Me, I prefer to deal with someone has more authority in the organization totem pole so it is easier to hold folks accountable. I have far better luck when ask to talk to a supervisor or have a supervisor call me back. And they do call back albeit the next day.
Old Jun 23, 11, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

All Holds and Exceptions are documented in the tracking system and can be confirmed online.

I live in a very large city. Even though I live close to the depot, it is quite busy. I prefer to bother the staff only when I need special attention.
Old Jun 23, 11, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
This is a first. I had two orders of $1K each that were mailed Tuesday to my po box with an expected delivery date of today. I checked on the one order and it said notice left. I get the slip and tell the clerk at the PO there should be 2 boxes and she said there was only one.

I ran the USPS tracking on the other number:

Missent, June 23, 2011, 12:29 pm
Undeliverable as Addressed, June 23, 2011, 12:29 pm, TOLEDO, OH XXXXX

The zip code was wrong (the fourth number was wrong) even though the mints zipcode is correct. Hopefully I get the coins tomorrow morning since I am going out of town. I have never seen this happen before.

A few months ago UPS screwed up on a shipment to come to my office and left them with some law firm a few blocks down the street.
Old Jun 23, 11, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
And if you aren't leaving until Tuesday afternoon, you should be fine for sure. UPS goes out next day air with delivery by 10:30 AM so even if it goes out monday you will have it tuesday by 10:30. IME with the mint, it should go out tonight and you should have tomorrow.
I had several occasions that were cutting so close that now my standard practice is NOT to order anything 10 days before a trip, even with In Stock situation.

The last 2 such occasions were the last straws.

In March we had an unusually foggy weather so all the flights from Louisville were severely delayed and the usual 10:30AM latest delivery did not happen until almost 12:30. We need to be at MIA by 3:00 and even traffic willing it is a 40-50 min drive.... for a 10 days trip to California and Hawaii. There were some anxious phone calls to UPS to track where the truck was. lol.

In April again 2 orphan boxes arrived on the day we traveled. This time we were going on a 16 days cruise (extended by 25 days land trip for almost 6 weeks long trip). We could sacrifice our lunch on board and wait till 3PM for the darn thing to arrive and it finally did close to 11:30AM.

10 days hold (already double the normal hold window) might be possible, 6 weeks hold? I seriously doubt it.

With this back log situation, unless one has a PO box delivery, one should not order anything if there is a pending trip.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 23, 11 at 2:39 pm
Old Jun 23, 11, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
All Holds and Exceptions are documented in the tracking system and can be confirmed online.

I live in a very large city. Even though I live close to the depot, it is quite busy. I prefer to bother the staff only when I need special attention.
I only bother the staff when the packages not arrive as they should and I need to head to the airport in 2 hours.

The normal delivery time to us is 9:30AM. If it does not come, then 10:30 to 11:00AM can be expected. Passed that and still no show then if we do have prior commitment to leave I will call the depot direct.

There was one occasion the delivery guy (not my usual ones) had some quite unprofessional behavior and I complained online. Local depot supervisor called the next morning. Turned out that particular guy has had similar complaints from customers before. The supervisor gave me the direct phone number to the depot but I of course only use it when absolutely necessary.

OTOH, we have 3 regular UPS guys that are exceptionally good with one is so nice we nickname him "gentle giant" because he is very tall and big and always has a smiling face and very polite. He has amazing strength though.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 23, 11 at 2:45 pm
Old Jun 23, 11, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I had several occasions that were cutting so close that now my standard practice is NOT to order anything 10 days before a trip, even with In Stock situation.
Smart idea. Especially since UPS will attempt a delivery 3 days in a row and then ship it back. And who knows how long the mint would take to credit your card back.

My UPS shipments come to my office and our courier will just bring them up from the front desk and have someone unlock my office and put them in there, but I still don't like the thought of that much currency being in my office for a long period of time. If I know I will be gone for more than a few days at a time, I just have the shipment sent to the PO Box
Old Jun 23, 11, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
so the mint said it shipped the 22nd, and tonight UPS says "Ordered Processed: Ready for UPS" as in they havent even gotten it yet....
Old Jun 23, 11, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I wonder if anyone has any insights into this. A few days ago I placed multiple $500 orders using Vanilla Visa GCs. I registered all the VanVisa GCs to my zip code online before I placed the orders. Today I got an email from the Mint saying the first three orders were cancelled. Has the Mint stopped allowing Visa GCs, like the Amex GCs?? I hope not! All the orders were placed using the same name and address, but all the credit card numbers were different, and never before used...so no chance of them being cancelled because of a credit authorization occurring within the 10 day limit. I thought the only criteria the Mint used to determine the 10 day $1000 max limit was the credit card number used...I thought the name address was irrelevant. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 23, 11, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
so the mint said it shipped the 22nd, and tonight UPS says "Ordered Processed: Ready for UPS" as in they havent even gotten it yet....
You probably have delivery tomorrow morning.

As I mentioned earlier, 2 boxes showed exact info last night before I went to sleep. They came at 9:30AM sharp.
Old Jun 23, 11, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA,CO,US,DL,UN
Okay I just started this recently and got my first 1k of coins the week before last. I then made two separate orders using separate card numbers but same address. On Tuesday of this week the orders changed to:
"Order Status: Your order request is in process.
Item Status: In stock and reserved"

On the same day both cards show a decrease in available credit by 1k each. Now on Friday both shipments still say the same thing and while my available limit is still reduced by 1k each, neither charge has actually hit my recent transactions.

Have I screwed this up royally or does this happen on some occasions?
Old Jun 23, 11, 10:11 pm

What is the benefit of buying e-certs vs just ordering the coins? Does the name show up differently on the statement? I know it may help to advance a spending deadline, but any other reason?
Old Jun 23, 11, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scwam View Post
What is the benefit of buying e-certs vs just ordering the coins? Does the name show up differently on the statement? I know it may help to advance a spending deadline, but any other reason?
The only reason I can think of would be to meet a spending deadline. Especially if someone doesn't have an exemption and the mint is behind.

I would be a little nervous about ordering an e-certificate myself for a couple reasons. One minor concern would be if the mint would say they could no longer be used on circulating coins (which I really don't see that happening and could see some legal issues, but if I gave a coin collector a mint gift certificate I would also be upset if I found out he cashed them in on dollar coins).

My biggest worry would be if the mint pulled this program, which they have the right to do, and I would be stuck with mint gift certificates I would have to spend on other things I wouldn't want or need.
Old Jun 23, 11, 10:21 pm

So it seems if one is to buy these then use them quickly. What more concerns me is if the driver for some crazy reason decides to leave the coins at the doorstep. There would be no CC dispute right anymore since the e-certs were used.
Old Jun 23, 11, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HemiSync View Post
Okay I just started this recently and got my first 1k of coins the week before last. I then made two separate orders using separate card numbers but same address. On Tuesday of this week the orders changed to:
"Order Status: Your order request is in process.
Item Status: In stock and reserved"

On the same day both cards show a decrease in available credit by 1k each. Now on Friday both shipments still say the same thing and while my available limit is still reduced by 1k each, neither charge has actually hit my recent transactions.

Have I screwed this up royally or does this happen on some occasions?
This is normal procedure - not any different than you go to stay at a hotel which initially authorizes an amount but then the bill is not sent until you check out with the final tally.

They are just authorizations.

The actual billing will not be sent by the Mint until the cons are actually shipped.
Old Jun 23, 11, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scwam View Post
So it seems if one is to buy these then use them quickly. What more concerns me is if the driver for some crazy reason decides to leave the coins at the doorstep. There would be no CC dispute right anymore since the e-certs were used.
If that were to happen, I would think your claim would be with UPS, not the credit card company anyway. If you bought coins on your am ex and had that happened, UPS would be on the hook if the mint insured them and they didn't get a signature. When I have the larger coin orders sent to the office, a personthat doesn't even work for us (building guard) signs for them and they come UPS. when I get them at my PO box for the smaller orders they come priority mail and I am required to sign for them at the window. If the driver was to leave them at the doorstep and they got stolen, UPS or the insurance company woudl be on the hook.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: