Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 21, 11, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by hqly2001 View Post
From other's experience, if you have 2 credit cards, could you place one order for each card or just 1 order per 10 days? Looks like now there's a lag time? So I should only place my order 10 days after the bank authorize my card? I have a citi visa and a citi am ex. Any guidance without having to go back and read through 1k pages would be appreciated.

I've gone back and read the last 10 pages or so and i got confused. It appears now that if the order's been on hold for too long people are calling in and replacing the order with a new credit card and it goes through?
anyone?

What is this exemption that is being discussed?
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejs621 View Post
As far as people being treated as if they have an exemption, when they don't, I hardly think so. There is a big difference from slipping in a couple of $1,000 orders within the 10 day window and being able to order $10,000 or more on consecutive days.
Not everyone wants to order $10,000 or more on consecutive days. At least not me who does not have a banking relationship to dispose this much amount. And let's not go into the endless debate of the spirit of the program, and how some do not really have legit business reason to get exemption but went to get it until the Mint finally stopped such practice...

Using credit cards of the moment is as easy as creating an order and forwarding the order confirmation back to the mint and adding it to the exempt list. As dayone stated having an exemption does preclude anyone from using any credit card at will for a $1,000 order!
Correct. No different opinion here.

If using spreadsheets to keep track of orders, shipping dates, authorization dates, using virtual card numbers, using gift cards, using authorized user cards, using multiple emails floats your boat, have at it.
Using Spreadsheet and Accounting software is a habit from previous professional life so exempt or not exempt, I would still use such. It is nice and neat to be able to see a full picture of various status. Not a biggie. It is just the recent developments added some interesting twists to kick the game out from boredom, as if resolve a jigsaw puzzle...

BTW, there is absolutely no need to use different email. And for the record, I have never bought a GC for this pursuit - that I totally agree it is too much hassle.

However it seems plenty of the exempt folks love to use the GCs too - not out of any need but for the rebates. So your assumption is a bit off here because those who use GCs are not using it to bypass rules but for the additional rebates. I would not be so quick to judge others as if having exempt is of some supremacy even though the exempt status may be, cough cough, ill-gotten.
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
anyone?

Mint used to grand exemption for ordering more than the current limit because of business needs. Mint quits issuing such exemptions because many got the exemptions do not really have legit business to support such status.
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:56 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Not sure if the previous 1015 pages mentions this, but the new terms seem to be "you can't order until 10 days after we last shipped you coins"

So if you order delayed coins? You can't order again until they ship. Then a 10 day counter starts.

This is not the game it used to be!
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
anyone?

IIRC the mint isn't even giving them at all anymore.
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:10 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I believe the Mint is known to send this e-mail (wording inappropriate) where the 10-day factor is 'violated'. I received one myself today. I simply cancel and re-order when this happens.
Can anyone else confirm getting the "credit card problem" email when violating the 10 day rule?

Has anyone had orders just cancelled due to the 10 day rule?

- This used to be a slam dunk, now it's a part-time hassle.
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
Normally, I'd say that's simply paranoia, but the mint has clearly gone the route of shutting down the gaming process.
That about sums it up from what I can see.

(Stupid government. Always trying to rip you off )
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
IIRC the mint isn't even giving them at all anymore.
Correct. Not even to a very legit business such as a Laundromat or a car wash business for example. There are folks who can truly circulate the coins via such business operations are told to order the coins different ways which are not free.

Yet we have folks here bragging about their exempt status so they can order $10K each on consecutive days... and the shipments certainly aint going to be circulated.

But that is our government at work... so be it.
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Correct. Not even to a very legit business such as a Laundromat or a car wash business for example. There are folks who can truly circulate the coins via such business operations are told to order the coins different ways which are not free.

Yet we have folks here bragging about their exempt status so they can order $10K each on consecutive days... and the shipments certainly aint going to be circulated.

Whats sad about this situation is that banks get charged fees for ordering the dollar coins in their currency orders. When I first started doing this, the RBS near my office loved it when I would make a deposit (now that they don't have the vault space or the need for them I am sure they feel differently LOL). When I first started bringing them in the teller told me they had a customer that wanted them but the only way they could get them to him was when someone would bring them in (which was usually only a few) and they wouldn't order them with their currency order because the fees were too high on them (go figure the US government wants them in circulation, gives free shipping and waives credit card fees to us and charges a bank fees to order them). I used to bring them in and they would call their customer and he would come in and buy the coins from them. Apparently he has all the coins he needs because they have asked me a couple times to wait a few days on bringing them in until they were able to send them back out of their vault.

I am surprised the mint hasn't revoked everyones exemptions.
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I am surprised the mint hasn't revoked everyones exemptions.
So, there have been a few...

How many revocations are you aware of?
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot View Post
So, there have been a few...

How many revocations are you aware of?
None. But not saying it hasn'thappened either. It obviously isn't happening to the fter's on this thread that have exemptions

I'm surprised the mint doesn't ask for a copy of their tax form Schedule C showing their principal business code. Of course I am sure many on here would produce a fake schedule C and submit it to get the exemption.
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I would not be so quick to judge others as if having exempt is of some supremacy even though the exempt status may be, cough cough, ill-gotten.
Apparently, you are quick to judge when it comes to others' exempt status.
Old Jun 21, 11, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Not everyone wants to order $10,000 or more on consecutive days. At least not me who does not have a banking relationship to dispose this much amount. And let's not go into the endless debate of the spirit of the program, and how some do not really have legit business reason to get exemption but went to get it until the Mint finally stopped such practice...
Do you have first hand knowledge that the Mint is not granting exemptions? Another assumption? Just as the statement about legitimate businesses is an assumption.

However it seems plenty of the exempt folks love to use the GCs too - not out of any need but for the rebates. So your assumption is a bit off here because those who use GCs are not using it to bypass rules but for the additional rebates. I would not be so quick to judge others as if having exempt is of some supremacy even though the exempt status may be, cough cough, ill-gotten.
Seems to be a judgement that exempt status maybe ill-gotten. Hardly, worth the effort for someone with an exemption to use a gift card. I'm sure most with an exemption would use a rebate credit card for Mint orders. I'm sure most are using gift cards for the rebates and not to bypass the rules......Really. What would be the reason to use an authorized user card?

Mint used to grand exemption for ordering more than the current limit because of business needs. Mint quits issuing such exemptions because many got the exemptions do not really have legit business to support such status.
Another assumption? Mint no longer grants exemptions.......Interesting.

Once again first hand knowledge or another assumption? I suppose creating spreadsheets and keeping track of multiple orders, authorization dates and shipping dates, and credit cards used sole purpose is to keep within the 10 day $1,000 rule and aid in the circulation of coins purchased from the US Mint.....Please!!! Your right you don't need to use multiple email addresses to violate the Mints rules. The pomposity of some here is astounding.
Old Jun 21, 11, 10:34 pm

time to take a Summer break.
Old Jun 21, 11, 10:46 pm

Exemptions have their own problems. Just donít come crying when your CC account gets shut down.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: