Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 21, 11, 8:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dshides View Post
So I woke up this morning to this email:

For reference I was using my AMEX PR Gold card and my bill has been kept current and I dont have a "high balance" currently. I'm going to call and ask them to try to run it through again and see what happens. Any other thoughts?
I got that too on one order placed on a Citi virtual account number. Several other orders from yesterday didn't attract this notice.

Let us know if you call and how it plays out please.
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Actually once I have learned about this, I need to pay closer attention on which cards are used instead of falling back to the old habit.

The current reversal is partly due to my oversight by inadvertently used the card that I gave to release the 5/16 order.

The funny thing is, when I called to get this done, the woman said you must have an exemption. I said no I dont. She said yes, you have because of the number of orders. I said OK, I must have had and I forgot about it. You get the drift.
One word: plastics spreadsheet.

Mike
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:06 am

Programs: Several dozen
What's absolutely screwy is that my two orders, one after the other were placed on the 12th - one to a physical address and one to a PO. The physical shipped almost immediately. The PO is rotting in process for 9 days.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
ordered on 12th. Still in process (had even gone back to hold once but is back to proc now) and no auth on card.

this is causing me to possibly take a summer coin break
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
What's absolutely screwy is that my two orders, one after the other were placed on the 12th - one to a physical address and one to a PO. The physical shipped almost immediately. The PO is rotting in process for 9 days.
My PO Box ones are staying in process for a long time as well. Unfortunately I am taking a few trips and want them to go to the PO box in case they decide to ship them while I am gone. I would rather they sit at the post office than in my officel
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Seems to be the case for a lot of PO orders. Perhaps the mint has caught on to this one, as well?

Mike
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
Seems to be the case for a lot of PO orders. Perhaps the mint has caught on to this one, as well?

Mike
I was wondering the same thing. But if that was the case, it would seem like the mint would just say they don't ship to PO Boxes (some companies will only ship to a phsyical address). But what is to stop people form using UPS stores? I wouldn't mind using a UPS store type situation, especially so I could have all my ebay and amazon, etc. orders sent there, but there are none convenient to the office and the PO is a LOT cheaper.
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I was wondering the same thing. But if that was the case, it would seem like the mint would just say they don't ship to PO Boxes (some companies will only ship to a phsyical address). But what is to stop people form using UPS stores? I wouldn't mind using a UPS store type situation, especially so I could have all my ebay and amazon, etc. orders sent there, but there are none convenient to the office and the PO is a LOT cheaper.
I looked into a USP store and 1 thing made me hesitate - when the package is delivered to the store, the store signs for it and UPS is done with their responsibility - as far as their concerned, it's delivered. At that point, you're at the mercy of the USP store and it's staff to ensure you get your package.

I know that sounds like a small detail but I kind of like knowing that at home or at the USPS, until I sign for it and have it in hand, it's still the responsbility of the delivery service.

It also cost 2 1/2 x as much as my PO box.
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post

That's what stopped me.

Mike
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
I looked into a USP store and 1 thing made me hesitate - when the package is delivered to the store, the store signs for it and UPS is done with their responsibility - as far as their concerned, it's delivered. At that point, you're at the mercy of the USP store and it's staff to ensure you get your package.

I know that sounds like a small detail but I kind of like knowing that at home or at the USPS, until I sign for it and have it in hand, it's still the responsbility of the delivery service.

Good point about the UPS responsibility ending when the store signs for it.

I would have no problems at all with the UPS terminal just holding them, and just picking up a few boxes at the time if they were open decent hours. They are only open from 9 to 5:30 and it's a good 20 minute drive from my office and they aren't open weekends.

I wish UPS would offer the option of having parcels redirected to a UPS store and held if they are going to have such awful hoursl
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:41 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

Mike
What is to catch on to regarding ordering to a Po box? Doesn't seem to have any different profile than ordering to a street address, IMHO.
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
my status just changed to In Stock-Reserved

I'm guessing that means its about to ship
Old Jun 21, 11, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYBanker View Post
What is to catch on to regarding ordering to a Po box? Doesn't seem to have any different profile than ordering to a street address, IMHO.
Based on my ridiculously small sample size, it does seem that many who have been gaming the mint have the coins sent to a PO Box. I have no doubt that there is someone at the mint keeping an eye on the internet threads. Normally, I'd say that's simply paranoia, but the mint has clearly gone the route of shutting down the gaming process.

Mike
Old Jun 21, 11, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two orders I placed on 6/12/11 to a PO Box just changed to shipped but no info received yet from the USPS. Hopefully I get them Thursday so I don't have to take leave the office Friday morning to deposit them.
Old Jun 21, 11, 10:20 am

Based on my ridiculously small sample size, it does seem that many who have been gaming the mint have the coins sent to a PO Box. I have no doubt that there is someone at the mint keeping an eye on the internet threads. Normally, I'd say that's simply paranoia, but the mint has clearly gone the route of shutting down the gaming process.

Mike
All the PO box does is let you determine delivery time instead of the UPS man.
Old Jun 21, 11, 10:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Don't virtual account numbers (such as those offered by Citi) alleviate this whole 10 day problem faced by many of us? Just use a new virtual account number for every order... and order every few days. Wouldn't this work too?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: