Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
USB Buxx

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.
Current users can still add new cards.)

• Initial purchase fee: $15 + $2.50 load fee
  • Load fee: $2.50 per load, $517.50 max load per transaction ($520 charge to card)
  • Max load per day: $2,000 per CC
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $2,000 per card, but $5k per CC (if you have multiple teen cards.)
    NOTE: The rolling 30 days is also time sensitive. For example, if you loaded on 9/1 at 2 PM local time and try to load on 10/1 at 12 PM local time, it will NOT work. You must load on 10/1 at 2 PM or later.
  • Max value at any time: $2,000
  • Max ATM withdraw: $200, max 3 ATM per day ($600 total). No fee at US Bank ATMs. Other 'Plus' or Visa ATM $1.50 + ATM fee.
  • You may only add/edit two new credit/debit payment methods every 24 hours, three every 30 days and 5 every 180 days.

Also - Answer ALL the identification questions in your profile (not JUST three or four) USBuxx will sometimes ask you one of the questions, if you use the account on a new computer. HOWEVER - they are more than happy to ask you an unanswered question - talk about BROKEN! So, answer ALL the questions so that when you are prompted - you can answer any of them.

Do not load with any US Bank card as this will not provide points.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for US Bank

NW Buxx

• Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053)
  • $2 load fee
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
  • The maximum Card value is $1,000.00
  • Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
  • Max spend per 7 rolling days: $800

Max # of CC on file for both is 2. Each has a max # of loads per card per 7 day rolling period (~3/4). If you card fails to load, first try to switch to another CC, second check to make sure there are at least 7 calendar days between loads.

Reports of Citi cards (at least Mastercard) coding as purchase for NW Buxx (Jan 2015), but YMMV.

TD Bank Go Buxx

Dead - "members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit."

• Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee.
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per 7 days: $2,000
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
  • Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
  • Max balance: $2,000
  • Max transactions: no limit
  • Max load per funding CC (across multiple teens): only via TD CC $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

States not supported.

AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY
According to thread, USPS MOs count against the ATM withdraw limit.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for TD Bank loads.
Citi with some cards including the Exec will keep your order as pending and it will take up Credit limit for 3 to 4 weeks.

Beginning September 3, 2014, we're making changes to the TD GO Card program.
•We're decreasing the reload limit. We're reducing the per-day reload amount from $1,000 to $500. Rest assured, your maximum card balance at any time will remain at $2,000.
•We're changing how you can fund your TD Go Card. Account owners and friends and family members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.
Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx

Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by rmunson1
For Oct, prior to today, I had one day (10/9) of loading at WM Customer Service.
USB Buxx 2x$1000 onto Serve
USB Buxx 2x$1000 onto BB

Today, I tried round 2.
Many attempts, repeated fails 1x$1000 USB Buxx onto BB
One attempt, successful, 2x$1000 USB Buxx onto Serve.

The customer swipe pad indicated pending, then approved, then all of a sudden the 1/2 inch paper prints out that indicates the transaction failed. Tender not allowed.

I then tried a $500 VGC and the customer swipe pad threw up a signature screen briefly before descending into a failed transaction, tender not allowed.

I then tried $500 VGC at a regular cashier and got the same effect.

Since I was successful with Serve, I tend to discount the likelihood of operator error.

I know every step of the way is YMMV, and different WM may be different. But, my conclusion is that between 10/9 and 10/21 WM cash register software changed such that it recognizes USB Buxx (for BB) and VGC up front and kicks it out, where before it worked.

If anyone has suggestions other than 'try another WM' I am very interested. Big problem if I can't unload Buxx or VGC onto BB. Thx.

WM was in Martinez, CA
IIRC, if the terminal says approved but then spits out a declined receipt, it means the issue is on the card issuer's side. USB may have blocked the transaction for some reason. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong there)

Did you do the payment override step for the VGCs? This is still necessary, depending on the type of VGC. Note that some terminals won't even allow the override step.

Last edited by unkinected; Oct 22, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, SWA, United, British Air, Jet Blue, Alaska
Originally Posted by unkinected
IIRC, if the terminal says approved but then spits out a declined receipt, it means the issue is on the card issuer's side. USB may have blocked the transaction for some reason. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong there)

Did you do the payment override step for the VGCs? This is still necessary, depending on the type of VGC. Note that some terminals won't even allow the override step.
Since USB worked fine, moments later, for Serve, I concluded it was a WM/BB issue. Perhaps that is wrong.

Payment override - sorry, no. I have since read up on that. VGC have not been my favored mode of spend (fees too high), but I needed to boost spend for a threshold (hurry up and get 25K spent on Chase United to reach miserable Silver status). So, ignore all comments about failed VGC,

But, the failure of Buxx to load is quite disconcerting. I won't be able to try again for 3 weeks - out of the country.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, SWA, United, British Air, Jet Blue, Alaska
Today I looked and the USB Buxx web site shows my failed attempt (on both cards) as a reversed transaction. That is, all data is there, as though it worked, and then a line is drawn through it showing that it didn't really happen.

I'd rather not call anyone (BB or USB), but I'm open to suggestions. I may be heading to the ATM shortly...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:51 am

Today I looked and the USB Buxx web site shows my failed attempt (on both cards) as a reversed transaction. That is, all data is there, as though it worked, and then a line is drawn through it showing that it didn't really happen.

I'd rather not call anyone (BB or USB), but I'm open to suggestions. I may be heading to the ATM shortly...
Did you hit a unloading limit? Don't know about US but I'm the past I hit unload limits on both TD and NW. Had to wait a few days for that to reset.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Did you hit a unloading limit? Don't know about US but I'm the past I hit unload limits on both TD and NW. Had to wait a few days for that to reset.
Definitely not an unloading limit. I have 3 Buxx cards.
1 USB Buxx had a balance of $2000 and I unloaded it all (2x$1000) onto Serve immediately after the BB loading failure. Same cashier for the successful Serve load as the unsuccessful BB load, so I feel sure there was no competency issue with the cashier.
2 had balances of $1000. Both failed on attempted BB loads.
The current balance of $1000 was reconfirmed today, as it showed the failed transaction removing $1000 from the balance, then lined it out as a 'reversed' transaction.

The problem is how, who, what caused the reversal?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: Northwest, United

Above all...in the name of everything that is holy...for god's sake...
DONT CALL.

Cool your jets. Relax. Wait a few days. Check your math against a calendar for the loads and unloads you've done. 99% of these issues are easily resolved by doing just that - waiting - and being careful.

Calling is the absolute worst thing you can do.

Fer cryin' out loud, don't call! Seesh....
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
had trouble monday

could not load onto serve from visabuxx, I have had this happen once before, try again a few days later. should be all better. I will go today or tomorrow and report back
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
DONT CALL.
[/I][/B] Seesh....
Thanks for the coaching.

Actually, I am quite good at math, and what is wrong here is not a math problem. I was hoping to find someone with an explanation, failing so far.

Again, it is not math. If I could post a screen capture in a reply, I could show you how it is not math. BB has 2K loaded for the month. Buxx has 1K loaded for the month. Unload of USB Buxx to BB at WM Customer Service fails. Tender not allowed. I know not why.

I will try again around 11/11 and see what happens then.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:42 pm

Buxx has 1K loaded for the month. Unload of USB Buxx to BB at WM Customer Service fails. Tender not allowed. I know not why.
did you try other amounts less than $1K? in the past, when I got that message, I tried a lesser amount and it went through. I've been doing mostly load and w/d via USB ATMs. For amounts less than $40 I can't get out via ATM, I load to Serve and drain from there.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
did you try other amounts less than $1K? in the past, when I got that message, I tried a lesser amount and it went through. I've been doing mostly load and w/d via USB ATMs. For amounts less than $40 I can't get out via ATM, I load to Serve and drain from there.
No. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try around 11/11.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:53 pm

No. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try around 11/11.
try $500. more than that does not always work
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Serve doesn't work anymore.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by fyugioh
Works fine if you're loading Serve card in Walmart via debit/cash. You're likely referring to online debit card/credit card loading.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by canyoncar
try $500. more than that does not always work
I had the same issue about 2 weeks ago with $1000. Switched to $500 and worked, tried another $500 on same card and it worked as well.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by fyugioh
just tried to load USBuxx to Serve using regular WM register; it went to PIN screen immediately, entered PIN, APPROVED. Have never loaded buxx to Serve as debit online.

Last edited by Mamibear; Oct 22, 2014 at 5:47 pm Reason: more info added.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.