Old Aug 29, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Rules:

You can deposit cash fee-free into your ONE account at any Walmart cashier, Customer Service desk, or Money Center location in the United States.
If you dont have your physical card, you can deposit cash using your ONE app-generated barcode at any Money Center or Customer Service Desk at Walmart.

Amount limits:
1. $1 minimum load

2. $990 maximum load per transaction
3. $3,000 maximum per rolling 24 hours
Print Wikipost

ONE Card Masterthread

Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by SailorJoe
Seems it's just a form they're supposed to fill out and send to corporate, if someone tries to transfer money via WU. Doesn't seem like they're even supposed to do it over debit card reloads or MO purchases
MSAR is electronic. Likely does go to corporate and they file away until one person gets too many of them.

MSAR is just a button away for a CSR; they can select to file one for most any amount of MO if they choose to.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:18 am

TL/DR - it's the Coastal side of this equation I'm interested in.
perhaps Coastal runs a report every 90/whatever days and then tells ONE to shut down offenders.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
perhaps Coastal runs a report every 90/whatever days and then tells ONE to shut down offenders.
More likely Coastal shutters and then tells One that customer X no longer has an account but leaves it up to One to transmit the news to X.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by liw5215
someone reported in Reddit that the check takes 6 months.
Sounds like PayPal
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Designed around getting Some cash deposits . not $30,000 or $100,000 a month. Thats the problem since AML issues arise
^This, tbh
Old Nov 23, 2023, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by dalvigirish
One closed my account on 11/16. I was loading 30k per month for last 4 months at walmart. I used to get money order from cards for 10k from kroger and rest I used to pay credit cards directly. I had my Wells Fargo account linked in one app. Received my money on 11/21 into Wells Fargo. P2 account is still open.
Additionally I had kept 10k in savings account.
Originally Posted by LaxJumbo
I was adding about $8,000 every two weeks or so, transferring deposits both to a ONE savings account, and to a separate linked account. I was not going crazy. Ironically, I generally immediately transferred funds to my linked account. Yesterday, I didn't. And I got shut down.
Lets face it. They're trying to put a stop to constant use of the laundromat. The constant activity of loading/unloading 'hard to trace' funds will raise any eyebrows. And leaving minimal to no balance is even more suspicious.This is no different than Pablo Escobar walking into a walmart to load $3000 in cash daily and emptying it out to his clean Wells Fargo bank the next day. He doesn't care if WM shuts him down, he can have 1000 mules doing this for him every day.

WM, One, Steans don't want to waste their time to track down your debit source to decide if you are legit or not. Easier and cheaper for them to shut you down and call it a day. If you look and smell like a launderer, be ready to be treated like one.

And that leads me to another point. Why the hell does grocery/gas chains give me a hard time about buying GC with credit. They tell me cash only, which hmm, make it even harder to trace? All telling me it's in place to prevent money laundering. IDIOTS !!!!
Old Nov 23, 2023, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by t0dd0
The constant activity of loading/unloading 'hard to trace' funds will raise any eyebrows.
I think we would all agree with this.

And leaving minimal to no balance is even more suspicious.
Well, the only problem with that line of thinking is that both of the posts you quoted, the OPs were leaving money in One Savings.

After reading through the articles about bank shutdowns, especially those where the bank employees themselves were interviewed...Then reading these articles from an old school churner, who wrote about it first in 2016, then more recently in face of the uptick in bank closuresA few salient points jumped out at me:
  • A SAR is a report of anyone that looks as if they might be trying to avoid a CTR
  • A CTR is for any cash deposit in excess of 10k per day, or any money order purchase greater than $3000.
  • Trying to avoid a CTR is a federal crime, referred to as "Structuring"
  • Making many small deposits in rapid succession, or purchasing and depositing many small money orders is "suspicious" as it looks like you might be trying to avoid a CTR.
    • This results in the bank filing a "suspicious activity report" or SAR.
    • "As of September 21, 2023, a bank employee can also fill out a SAR for transactions of $5,000 or more if they suspect money laundering or any other violations of the Bank Secrecy Act."
  • The bank is required by law to file SARs, and they are required by. law to not tell you they are filing SARs.
  • Closing accounts where the customer might be accused of Structuring due to excessive SARs is what banks call "De-risking", and it's up to the discretion of the bank.
  • Banks are doing this based on computer algorithms:
    • “There is no humanization to any of this, and it’s all just numbers on a screen,” said Aaron Ansari, who used to program the algorithms that flag suspicious activity.
    • “It’s not ‘No, that is a single mom running a babysitting business.’ “It’s ‘Hey, you’ve checked these boxes for a red flag — you’re out.’”
At this point, my focus is on using the DPs to try and determine what's flagging excessive SARs.
radonc1 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 2:27 pm

Well, the only problem with that line of thinking is that both of the posts you quoted, the OPs were leaving money in One Savings.
Not how I read it but open to interpretations. One kept $10k out of an estimated $120k in loads. Other indicated immediately transferring to a linked account and the one time he/she didnt, they shut it down.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
  • A SAR is a report of anyone that looks as if they might be trying to avoid a CTR
  • A CTR is for any cash deposit in excess of 10k per day, or any money order purchase greater than $3000.
  • Trying to avoid a CTR is a federal crime, referred to as "Structuring"
  • Making many small deposits in rapid succession, or purchasing and depositing many small money orders is "suspicious" as it looks like you might be trying to avoid a CTR.
    • This results in the bank filing a "suspicious activity report" or SAR.
    • "As of September 21, 2023, a bank employee can also fill out a SAR for transactions of $5,000 or more if they suspect money laundering or any other violations of the Bank Secrecy Act."
  • The bank is required by law to file SARs, and they are required by. law to not tell you they are filing SARs.
  • Closing accounts where the customer might be accused of Structuring due to excessive SARs is what banks call "De-risking", and it's up to the discretion of the bank.
It is very important to point out the top 4 bullet points in the above excellent post.
Opening many bank accounts in order to deposit small numbers of MOs is the quintessential definition of structuring and is a serious federal crime.
While I doubt that any of us here are at risk, one never knows when some federal official gets a bug up their patootie and goes after someone. I would suspect that people moving seven digits of money are at much greater risk than someone moving four.
I would seriously avoid some upstream advice of opening multiple bank accounts especially at the same time in order to deposit small numbers of MOs in each. I suspect that serial opening of accounts after being closed by another would be safer, and simply deposit everything in one account at a time.
At least there can be no claim of structuring
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:14 am

Why the hell does grocery/gas chains give me a hard time about buying GC with credit. They tell me cash only, which hmm, make it even harder to trace?
the reps themselves are idiots. but the store policy might be cash only, to avoid cc chargeback risk
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:25 pm

Today I received a check for my full balance of my closed ONE account Here's my sequence of events:
a. Nov 3: couldn't load my card, when I called in to customer service I was told my account had been closed and the decision was final. Was told a check for my remaining balance would be sent to me within 7-10 business days, this never happened.
b. Nov 20: called customer service again, they acted like the Nov 3 phone call had never happened. This time I was told I'd hear from them pertaining to the refund of my balance within 5 days.
c. Nov 28: received the following email from [email protected],We have mailed a check to the address on file with any remaining funds. The check should arrive in 7-14 days by USPS mail.
d. Dec 5: received my $4K+ check, to the best of my knowledge the amount was correct.

ONE was fun while it lasted but I'm glad to put them in my rear window as their customer service is crap. I'd tell anyone who's considering using them to liquidate non-trivial GC amounts that they're operating on borrowed time, I don't see how their accounts could remain open long term.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by upright0744
the reps themselves are idiots. but the store policy might be cash only, to avoid cc chargeback risk
I had one 7-eleven guy say "debit only" and same at Safeway. I say "I know" then run my credit card.

Haven't had one say "cash only" yet. Don't know how I'd react. I might say "you mean cash or debit only?" Then try to get a gut feel for how serious they seem to be about their answer, but it's probably better just to walk away at that point.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by LaxJumbo
I was adding about $8,000 every two weeks or so, transferring deposits both to a ONE savings account, and to a separate linked account. I was not going crazy. Ironically, I generally immediately transferred funds to my linked account. Yesterday, I didn't. And I got shut down.
LOL $8K every 2 weeks is "not going crazy". Yeah I don't think that is how the issuer looks at this. How long have you had the card before they shut you down doing $8K every 2 weeks?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:20 pm

Is loading the One card the same as trying to load the BB/Serve cards? I assume Vanillys are still the preferred card to load these cards. Do USB and Pathward cards work?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:41 pm

Is it still worth opening one of those? Does an ACH transfer count as direct deposit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.