Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2023, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

“Payments provider Plastiq Inc. filed for bankruptcy on Wednesday, capping a tumultuous year in which its plan to go public via a merger with a blank-check company fell through and its primary bank, Silicon Valley Bank, failed.

The San Francisco-based company listed both assets and liabilities in the range of more than $50 million to as much as $100 million in a Chapter 11 petition filed in the District of Delaware.”

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/bankruptcy-law/payment-company-plastiq-goes-bankrupt-in-wake-of-svbs-collapse
Old May 24, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
So if you have a payment in process with them, you're screwed? Good riddance to bad rubbish
Old May 24, 2023, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msp3
So if you have a payment in process with them, you're screwed? Good riddance to bad rubbish
If the payment doesn’t complete, you can surely refuse the charge with your credit card company.
Old May 24, 2023, 4:50 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
It's Chapter 13, not 11 so the company is not being liquidated.
Operations should continue under the leadership of a trustee.I would suspect that if you made a payment that the company will make it,
They may not accept new payment business,but the business already in the pipeline should be completed.
Old May 25, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: USA UAL DAL
Well we have a total of 4 payments in progress through Plastics through 2 vendors. Will report on their completion of lack thereof.
Old May 25, 2023, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
It's Chapter 13, not 11 so the company is not being liquidated.
Operations should continue under the leadership of a trustee.I would suspect that if you made a payment that the company will make it,
They may not accept new payment business,but the business already in the pipeline should be completed.
It's Chapter 11 which is reorganization (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/prior...153000214.html). You're probably thinking of Chapter 7 which is liquidation.

Chapter 13 is personal bankruptcy.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by danpeake
It's Chapter 11 which is reorganization (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/prior...153000214.html). You're probably thinking of Chapter 7 which is liquidation.

Chapter 13 is personal bankruptcy.
Thanks for the clarification, my bad.
However, the intent was there if not the numbering .
The company is still trying to exist and should be able to pay its operational obligations such as paying invoices. It is the banks with their lines of credit and loans that are going to be clipped and of course, any shareholders (and likely bondholders) will get the inevitable haircut
Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I've had two payments go through since the filing, so the operations appear unaffected.

I only just saw this referenced in a WSJ article today and their article from the time of the filing has this nugget:

Cash remained tight in February and Plastiq laid off 85 employees and contractors, reducing its workforce to 128 employees. It is now down to 45 full-time workers.
In what universe does a business like this need 100-plus FTEs?
Old Jun 17, 2023, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only problem I had with Plastiq on a recent payment attempt was that their two-factor authentication was broken for a while.

Over the phone for a while they kept giving me the same 6-digit verification code ever time I re-asked for it, and every time I entered it, the website said "verification code invalid".

I notified them of my login problems, it said online that they would reply within 24 hours, but they wrote back pretty quickly saying that they had "reset" something about my account (in addition to other suggestions).

Well, no wonder that initial 6-digit code was invalid. Because when I tried again after they emailed me, it gave me a 7-digit verification code, and that worked immediately.

I wrote back to them to explain to them that the number of digits in the original code it was giving me seems to have been the problem.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well I for one wouldn't miss them at all. Nothing but trouble trying to use them, they've raised fees, and no longer accepts Amex which was the final straw for me.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Well I for one wouldn't miss them at all. Nothing but trouble trying to use them, they've raised fees, and no longer accepts Amex which was the final straw for me.
To be fair, I think it was AmEx that dropped Plastiq, not the other way around. But your general point is still valid.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
This month's mortgage payment (FNBO Amtrak card) seems to have gone through without a problem.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 9:41 am

Anyone successfully used them in the last few weeks? Tax bill coming up and would love to use them to get the points toward my SUB
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:04 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by Schnit
Anyone successfully used them in the last few weeks? Tax bill coming up and would love to use them to get the points toward my SUB
Yes. Just did a $8k and a $6k payment and both were processed as they always have been, confirmed with recipient that the checks were received and deposited OK
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit
My tax payment with them a few weeks ago went through. No issues at all.
tc fly girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.