Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
DATAPOINT COLLECTION: https://forms.gle/trtMWXZp4mKUk31m7
VIEW DATAPOINTS: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Rules:

Amount limits:
1. $20 minimum load

2. $1,000 maximum per rolling 24 hours ($999 for AZ NM)
3. $7,000 maximum per rolling 7 days
4. $10,000 maximum per calendar month (formerly $20K; mixed DPs, T&C states calendar month but FTers state rolling 30 days)

Frequency limits:
5. 4 individual loads per rolling 24 hours

6. 7 individual loads per rolling 7 days
7. 20 loads per rolling 30 days.

WM limits:
8. 3 GCs max per transaction

https://www.discover.com/online-bank...cking-account/
Print Wikipost

Discover Checking Loaded at Walmart

Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by cuthroat
Never crossed my mind to ask for the 500 + fees for refunds. You may be on to something. People getting replacement cards, I look at as a wash.

Bottom line is they need to turn back their fraud settings to before all this madness.
LOL good luck

Originally Posted by decolon
Hmm so my Pathward SS VGC got fraud locked. I've gotten quite a few of these fraud locked on first transaction which is annoying. Is it recommended to do a small transaction first so it doesn't lock?
Yes
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:48 am

I received a phone call from discover asking about my loading of funds to the account at WM. The discover agent was really chill and asked about my loading history at WM which is far less than it was last year. I told him I have some rental properties and get paid in cash by some of the tenants and that's what I deposit at WM. He didn't press the issued, just said he'd note that on the account. Call took less than five minutes start to finish.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I received a phone call from discover asking about my loading of funds to the account at WM. The discover agent was really chill and asked about my loading history at WM which is far less than it was last year. I told him I have some rental properties and get paid in cash by some of the tenants and that's what I deposit at WM. He didn't press the issued, just said he'd note that on the account. Call took less than five minutes start to finish.
looks like this will be going down soon. How much vol?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by luckypra
Only $2K/week consistently since December for that account since I'm using my remaining One Card, BB, and Serve cards for most of my volume these days.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:03 am

Only $2K/week consistently since December for that account since I'm using my remaining One Card, BB, and Serve cards for most of my volume these days.
what was the last year's volume?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:05 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by luckypra
Pull now while you still have a non-restricted demand account.
There are many DPs out there with Discover being less than speedy about returning money deposited to them.

If they believed you, they would ask for documentation of your rentals and income, balance sheets, etc.

Pull your money out and let us know how you did with Discover. DPs are always appreciated.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:42 am

Interesting, please let us know the DP Prometheus77.
My go-to answer is deposits from cash sales of goods - I have a DBA to back this up which I file taxes on.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
There are many DPs out there with Discover being less than speedy about returning money deposited to them.

If they believed you, they would ask for documentation of your rentals and income, balance sheets, etc.

Pull your money out and let us know how you did with Discover. DPs are always appreciated.
Out of curiosity, if Discover shuts down the Debit account, do they go scorched Earth like Chase and whack everything (Discover credit cards, savings, etc.)?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:15 pm

There were calls like this reported late last year (even in this thread), has there ever been a confirmed shutdown afterwards?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1

The money doesn't stay in the account long enough to be a problem if they freeze or close the account. I load $1k on Friday and Saturday and it gets pulled out via a CC payment every Monday so the most they would get would be $2K and that small an amount isn't a problem to float while they play games getting it back to me.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by dwCoffee
Interesting, please let us know the DP Prometheus77.
My go-to answer is deposits from cash sales of goods - I have a DBA to back this up which I file taxes on.
My rental properties are real and under and S-Corp which I can produce legitimate records for so I can provide them with whatever they ask for if they did.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
There were calls like this reported late last year (even in this thread), has there ever been a confirmed shutdown afterwards?
My Player 2 got the call last October and while they asked a bit more questions than my agent they never took action on the account and we still load to it as well. I don't remember ever seeing any shutdown reports, but it's possible someone has.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 9:04 am

You guys don't have to fib to Discover about how and why you're loading the account, I would just tell the truth - it probably will make more sense to the person in the AML context they are asking. They'd probably rather hear you are loading with prepaids you purchased yourself to earn rewards, than that you are loading untraceable cash "from my legitimate business", I mean that's what a money launderer would say. Granted at only $10k a month, there are probably alot of made-up reasons they will accept, but when you get these calls on deposit accounts for much higher amounts, it's usually better to just tell the truth.
TTT103 and Gitangali like this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:47 pm

My rental properties are real and under and S-Corp which I can produce legitimate records for so I can provide them with whatever they ask for if they did.
Yes but you know rental payment is not what you are loading to discover. If tenants are paying cash then how come you are loading the money using prepaid cards which is very easy for discover to see. What would explain 499/498 consistent loading? Tell the truth is the best strategy in this case, at the most they shut down. As long as we are not get thrown in jail, dont have to pay hefty fines etc those are the types of things we have to safeguard first, everything else is secondary including discover card, bank account shutdowns etc, who cares?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:47 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Gitangali
Yes but you know rental payment is not what you are loading to discover. If tenants are paying cash then how come you are loading the money using prepaid cards which is very easy for discover to see. What would explain 499/498 consistent loading? Tell the truth is the best strategy in this case, at the most they shut down. As long as we are not get thrown in jail, dont have to pay hefty fines etc those are the types of things we have to safeguard first, everything else is secondary including discover card, bank account shutdowns etc, who cares?
As long as you have the documents to back up your deposits of cash equivalents, esxpecially tax returns, then you are safe.
You are correct that many businesses do a cash based business.

However , you also run the risk of a tax audit. Cash transactions are a big tell for our friends at the IRS.
And now, with more "friends" than ever thanks to Uncle Jo and Congress, the liability only grows.
Gitangali likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.