Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
The purpose of this thread is to discuss which VGCs are sold at WM.

WM sells two main kinds of VGC: Vanilla and SS.
The activation fee should be $4.94.
Print Wikipost

Walmart VGC master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tarcapone

Right now Blackhawk cards (notably Metabank, but possibly other bank issued as well) are causing major problems as you are limited to a $500 swipe. And auto drain doesn't work if the purchase is >$500. So I would stay away from Staples, OM/OD, Simon, Meijer right now. Not sure about Kroger since those are mostly USBank (maybe some Metabank)
what do you mean by limited to 500 swipe? if you are getting a 1k MO, can you not do 2X 500 swipes? or if you are doing 2k MO, can you not do 4 X 500 swipes? or is it 1 500 swipe per transaction? meaning you can get 500 MO in one transaction.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by tarcapone
To clarify, there are two major gift card providers - Incomm (Albertsons, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, S&S/Giant (recent change), Speedway) and Blackhawk (Kroger, Meijer, Staples, OM/OD, Simon). So you won't find a Blackhawk card at WM. And cards are not issued by Blackhawk.
My reference was to have the other poster be careful, as Walgreens, CVS, and others have the the cards with the same FRONTS (as in those I mentioned from his pic of the rack: YOU'RE AWESOME & CONGRATULATIONS & THANK YOU, and more), but issued by BOTH Sutton and Blackhawk. That was all.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Gitangali
what do you mean by limited to 500 swipe? if you are getting a 1k MO, can you not do 2X 500 swipes? or if you are doing 2k MO, can you not do 4 X 500 swipes? or is it 1 500 swipe per transaction? meaning you can get 500 MO in one transaction.
That is correct, there appears to be some delay of, at the latest DP, 5 minutes between swipes of the GCs, which limits you to single $500 swipe. This is what i have taken away from the discussion.
Gitangali likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1
That is correct, there appears to be some delay of, at the latest DP, 5 minutes between swipes of the GCs, which limits you to single $500 swipe. This is what i have taken away from the discussion.
can you do 500 meta and 500 sutton and get 1k MO in one transaction? MC like to give whatever maximum with one transaction. they have been instructed to not to do multiple transactions from the same customer in a day.

or 500 Meta and 3 suttons and get 2K MO in one transaction?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
can you do 500 meta and 500 sutton and get 1k MO in one transaction? MC like to give whatever maximum with one transaction. they have been instructed to not to do multiple transactions from the same customer in a day.

or 500 Meta and 3 suttons and get 2K MO in one transaction?
depend on cashier, but most enforced a MO in 1 trxn in my area; some recent DPs indicated that the sutton VGCs did work along with 1 SMVGC

Last edited by danhouston; Feb 21, 2023 at 10:28 am
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

This is crazy guys simply crazy. A year ago I thought MS was dead for sure. Once WM stopped accepting Vanilla/Meta etc I didn't think they would accept it again. I used to have 2-3 discover card, 2-3 chase cards for each of us. Didn't want to leave too many lines open for fraudulent charges etc, so closed and kept only one of each type for me and SO. Now come to find out I could use it again. Don't want to get it again as it would count towards 05/24 etc.

2 critical path still, if WM stops issuing a MO or Bank ghosts me then no matter how many places you can get Gift cards would be useless.

Got an surprise email from a payment solution provider in Poland that 500 dollars are in reserve and business bank account is not accepting it as I closed it few months ago. Initially i thought it was scammer trying to get me to provide bank information. Called the company in US and they said it is real. you get money from where you are not expecting it and lose money where you expect it such is a thorny game of MS.

Last edited by Gitangali; Feb 21, 2023 at 12:28 pm
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:28 pm

I've been buying Vanillas at Walmart and redeeming them there a week later. Both MO and BB loads.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:04 am

Thought i would provide an additional DP for the Everywhere cards (SE, DE, GE) that are issued out of OM/OD

Attempted to do an $800 MO today and was stopped at the third swipe of the card, as discussed previously. Went shopping and five-ten minutes later, was able to use the same card for a $200 load to my BB card. I only do 1 load a day to cards at WM so I did not test out the five minute assumption after two swipes of a card. Someone else will have to do that.

In summary, confirmed that even in flyover country, the limitation of swipes is in place. I cannot confirm the absolute dollar amount of the limitation since I did not exceed $400 which did go through. So one can still do $400 MOs at WM with these cards if one so wishes, and one can load at least once a BB/Serve card.

However, it is obvious that the walls are closing in and at some point other cards and servicers are going to adopt the strategy that BHN has.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:24 am

In summary, confirmed that even in flyover country, the limitation of swipes is in place. I cannot confirm the absolute dollar amount of the limitation since I did not exceed $400 which did go through. So one can still do $400 MOs at WM with these cards if one so wishes, and one can load at least once a BB/Serve card.
If one expects (like I do) a ~$485 limit every 5-10 minutes per store, you could theoretically have loaded a second $200 to your BB. It's definitely not a swipes limitation as those with $1K Simons can't do more than one swipe for about $485 in a short period of time.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
If one expects (like I do) a ~$485 limit every 5-10 minutes per store, you could theoretically have loaded a second $200 to your BB. It's definitely not a swipes limitation as those with $1K Simons can't do more than one swipe for about $485 in a short period of time.
We need someone to test the swipe theory. That could easily be done by doing two $200 swipes followed by an $85 swipe. That will keep the absolute amount under the theoretical $485 but exceed the theoretical swipe limit by 1.
This would be very useful information.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:36 am

We need someone to test the swipe theory. That could easily be done by doing two $200 swipes followed by an $85 swipe. That will keep the absolute amount under the theoretical $485 but exceed the theoretical swipe limit by 1.
This would be very useful information.
Thanks for your DPs. I see zero indication it's swipes related. As I said, you can't do more then one $485 swipe, but you can do two $200 swipes. Cogito ergo sum, not a swipe limitation.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:21 pm

any ideas how to liquidate $1K Simon VGC?

any ideas how to liquidate $1K Simon VGC in CA, FL or NC? no longer working at Wally or Winn Dixie.

Last edited by MelsAntiqueJewelry; Mar 7, 2023 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:36 pm

I have Simon $1K and they don't work. The lowest swipe I tried was $495.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by MelsAntiqueJewelry
any ideas how to liquidate $1K Simon VGC in CA, FL or NC? no longer working at Wally or Winn Dixie.
Try $99 per swipe at Wally and get a $395 MO (plus $1 fee). We are only allowed four swipes per purchase. It is a pain, but if you need a way to liquidate, that may be your option.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Thought i would provide an additional DP for the Everywhere cards (SE, DE, GE) that are issued out of OM/OD

Attempted to do an $800 MO today and was stopped at the third swipe of the card, as discussed previously. Went shopping and five-ten minutes later, was able to use the same card for a $200 load to my BB card. I only do 1 load a day to cards at WM so I did not test out the five minute assumption after two swipes of a card. Someone else will have to do that.

However, it is obvious that the walls are closing in and at some point other cards and servicers are going to adopt the strategy that BHN has.
Can confirn, everywhere cards are now limited to 3 swipes, I was able to get $600, but not more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.