Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
The purpose of this thread is to discuss which VGCs are sold at WM.

WM sells two main kinds of VGC: Vanilla and SS.
The activation fee should be $4.94.
Print Wikipost

Walmart VGC master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:32 pm

My area doesn’t have Sutton. Only Bancorp (doesn’t work) or Pathward (MetaBank). I have to try Pathward to see if it works or not.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by benny08
My area doesn’t have Sutton. Only Bancorp (doesn’t work) or Pathward (MetaBank). I have to try Pathward to see if it works or not.
Have you flipped every single one to check? On the picture I posted, only two or three are Sutton, hiding in the ocean of metabanks. Also check the fee, Sutton costs extra dollar, $5.43 vs $4.43
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
... so I though this was the hard stop for MS. Without this community I would not have tried Vanilla again knowing it wasn't going to work. MS is live and kicking again. Don't know for how long.
Same thought. Stopped by local WM today to buy some GD VGC and they only had four, which all failed at the register. Went to a different WM and they had none at all, all Vanillas. Immediately thought Now what? this is over. Will look for Sutton tomorrow. Just looking to fulfill all those high spending bonuses on Amex CC's. This info has been very helpful. Thanks guys.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:53 pm

vanilla serviced by incomm works
Chasepoints likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:13 pm

which bank? Sutton, Pathway, or Metabank, they are all serviced by Incomms.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215
All you've listed work for now. As in the past, it can and will change.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
As in the past, it can and will change.
Ain't dat the trut'.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by liw5215
old Bancorp Bank don't work, but I doubt any of those are still around unless they fell behind a dusty old shelf.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
old Bancorp Bank don't work, but I doubt any of those are still around unless they fell behind a dusty old shelf.
Quite a few bancorp, mix of Pathward/Meta, and zero sutton in my area. Sam’s Club been selling these for years now. I assume the contract with GD ended. WM decided to switch to Vanilles as well. It’s $4.88 at Sam’s club, and $4.94 at WM.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO
All you've listed work for now. As in the past, it can and will change.
So that means MS is full ON again? except I found out lately, if you run into issues with Gift card tampering/fraud then good luck with recouping money.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:18 pm

So that means MS is full ON again? except I found out lately, if you run into issues with Gift card tampering/fraud then good luck with recouping money.
why can't recoup the $? it likely takes some time to get $ back, but still probable
Gitangali likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danhouston
why can't recoup the $? it likely takes some time to get $ back, but still probable
I have given up hope because the receipts don't match the numbers on the cards. So I really don't have good proof. Unless tomorrow Walmart can blatantly see the cards swapping through security videos. I have been been buying Gift cards for 7-8 yrs, never had any issues. Now the seed of doubt is sown. I cant imagine myself buying at Gas store etc, I thought Walmart was decent place compare to rusty gas stores etc. With vanilla cards working there is plenty of opportunity to fish maxing out gas purchases, drug purchases, grocery purchases. But ... oh well.

If I am able to get the money back, I will keep going till someone shut me off. I would be wiser in looking out for things and don't get complacent with not paying attention receipts etc thinking it has not failed on me, so why bother.

Now they have 30 min activation, so I don't wait to turn around and get MO, otherwise you would find this sooner and keeping track will be easier. you cash out before anyone is going to do it. Because of this 30 min, I go home and then return when I have something to pick up which can be a few days to a week.

Last edited by Gitangali; Feb 17, 2023 at 8:44 pm
Old Feb 18, 2023, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

I bought sutton Vanilla in Walgreen, May have been within 30 mins tried it in WM for MO, did not work. Hope it would work may be it needs more time. Can someone confirm Sutton from Walgreen will work in WM for 500 load?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:15 pm

I bought sutton Vanilla in Walgreen, May have been within 30 mins tried it in WM for MO, did not work. Hope it would work may be it needs more time. Can someone confirm Sutton from Walgreen will work in WM for 500 load?
Yes, but it needs an hour.
Gitangali likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Whittaker
Those three vanillas in the bottom row: YOU'RE AWESOME & CONGRATULATIONS & THANK YOU work fine if they say 'issued by Sutton' on the back, but some places have those exact same fronts, but they say 'issued by Blackhawk' on the back. Kiss of death.
To clarify, there are two major gift card providers - Incomm (Albertsons, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, S&S/Giant (recent change), Speedway) and Blackhawk (Kroger, Meijer, Staples, OM/OD, Simon). So you won't find a Blackhawk card at WM. And cards are not issued by Blackhawk.

There are multiple banks issuing the cards - MetaBank/Pathward, Sunrise, Sutton, USBank, Bancorp. A bank can issue a card through Incomm or Blackhawk.

Right now Blackhawk cards (notably Metabank, but possibly other bank issued as well) are causing major problems as you are limited to a $500 swipe. And auto drain doesn't work if the purchase is >$500. So I would stay away from Staples, OM/OD, Simon, Meijer right now. Not sure about Kroger since those are mostly USBank (maybe some Metabank)
radonc1, danpeake, Thiago and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.