Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
The purpose of this thread is to discuss which VGCs are sold at WM.

WM sells two main kinds of VGC: Vanilla and SS.
The activation fee should be $4.94.
Print Wikipost

Walmart VGC master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215
no single GD VGC on the rack. do notice that Secure Spending VGCs hanging there. can SS VGC be used for MO purchase as single swipe of $500?
Yes
liw5215 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chasepoints
Yes
They are actually SS MC gift cards, not VGC. The first on the second row. Are the MC working too? Here is the picture of the gift rack. Are those colorful VGC working as the old GD VGC for MO at Walmart?

Last edited by liw5215; Feb 3, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:44 pm

... Are the MC working too?
In the past MC's required a work-around. Now there's little incentive to find out, b/c VGC's are plentiful, and none of them are blocked at the moment.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
In the past MC's required a work-around. Now there's little incentive to find out, b/c VGC's are plentiful, and none of them are blocked at the moment.
you mean those VGC in the picture? They work as the old GD VGC for MO at Walmart?
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:59 pm

you mean those VGC in the picture? They work as the old GD VGC for MO at Walmart?
I tried SS (Visas are also sold in many Walmarts), Vanillas issued by Sutton Bank or Pathway Bank. All of them worked for MO's. The only difference from the old GD -- the new crop of cards will accept any PIN at first use and save it.
liw5215, Chasepoints and Gitangali like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 9:30 pm

A local Walmart had some green dots left, I tried to buy one at self-checkout, and another at a register, and both failed.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:04 pm

Those three vanillas in the bottom row: YOU'RE AWESOME & CONGRATULATIONS & THANK YOU work fine if they say 'issued by Sutton' on the back, but some places have those exact same fronts, but they say 'issued by Blackhawk' on the back. Kiss of death.
Gitangali likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by nall
A local Walmart had some green dots left, I tried to buy one at self-checkout, and another at a register, and both failed.
same here at super WM, GD vgc is now falied at registers
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by nall
same here at super WM, GD vgc is now falied at registers; do folks know Sam's has $500 vgc @ lower fee? Thx
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
same here at super WM, GD vgc is now falied at registers; do folks know Sam's has $500 vgc @ lower fee? Thx
Yea like 8c lower...
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:21 am
Original Poster

I think they are in the process of removing all GD VGC. After I started this post couple of days later I found few GDs on the shelf, so I bought 2 and they are having an activation issue. I have $1000 bucks stuck with GD and numbers on the receipt is matching with the card numbers. I have opened a case with GD and they are working through the problem.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Gitangali
I think they are in the process of removing all GD VGC. After I started this post couple of days later I found few GDs on the shelf, so I bought 2 and they are having an activation issue. I have $1000 bucks stuck with GD and numbers on the receipt is matching with the card numbers. I have opened a case with GD and they are working through the problem.
As good a reason as I ever have seen for avoiding these cards.
danpeake and Gitangali like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:50 am

They removed all the leftover GD VGC in my area. I guess WM is getting a better deal on these than GD. The sad thing is no matter which variety of GD VGC you buy, they all work at WM. With these, you have to find the “right one”, and there are only a few. They can easily block those as well.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Happy birthday in white is issued by Sutton, will it work? or you left it out on purpose? As along as it says issued by Sutton then it should work in WM to get MO. Correct?
What other methods are available to load money in WM? serve, bluebird??

Originally Posted by Whittaker
Those three vanillas in the bottom row: YOU'RE AWESOME & CONGRATULATIONS & THANK YOU work fine if they say 'issued by Sutton' on the back, but some places have those exact same fronts, but they say 'issued by Blackhawk' on the back. Kiss of death.
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Happy birthday in white is issued by Sutton, will it work? or you left it out on purpose? As along as it says issued by Sutton then it should work in WM to get MO. Correct?
What other methods are available to load money in WM? serve, bluebird??

​​​​​​​it works for MO
Gitangali likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.