Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Vanilla GC fraud and "system error" messages

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

What's going on with Vanilla GC guys? Every card I check gets "system error" message. I have about 50 cards with small balances on them, from $50 to $0.50, and half of them got suspended and had to be re-issued by vanilla. Also noticed they do some secret spy verification over the phone "press second number in 2737" ? Did they get hacked or what? Looked at reviews and wow ! https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cred...gift-card.html
Old Nov 12, 2022, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
What's going on with Vanilla GC guys? Every card I check gets "system error" message. I have about 50 cards with small balances on them, from $50 to $0.50, and half of them got suspended and had to be re-issued by vanilla. Also noticed they do some secret spy verification over the phone "press second number in 2737" ? Did they get hacked or what? Looked at reviews and wow ! https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cred...gift-card.html
Yeah their system sucks. Try alternating between securespend site and vanilla site, checking 3-4 cards at a time. Do this in incognito mode. I found this can work to check balance on many cards before getting the system error message. If you get the system error too many times on a card it'll be blocked, then you have to call in and speak to someone to clear it.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Anyone else having problems today with Vanilla VGC? Bought one at CVS yesterday, tried to liquidate today at both FD (Serve) and 2 grocery stores for MO...declined at all. Even declined for a 19˘ purchase at CVS. Web site also does not load when I type in the card number.

Never had this issue before (last Vanilla I bought at WM earlier this week I liquidated with no issues) but I haven't done a lot of MS since pre-Covid. Back in the game for a while trying to meet a couple of SUBs.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
What's going on with Vanilla GC guys? Every card I check gets "system error" message.
The online site has it's moments. Either it's busy or it's a glitch. Who knows.

Also noticed they do some secret spy verification over the phone "press second number in 2737"
HEH.

That's just to verify you're a person and not an automated bot.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Anyone else having problems today with Vanilla VGC? Bought one at CVS yesterday, tried to liquidate today at both FD (Serve) and 2 grocery stores for MO...declined at all. Even declined for a 19˘ purchase at CVS. Web site also does not load when I type in the card number.

Never had this issue before (last Vanilla I bought at WM earlier this week I liquidated with no issues) but I haven't done a lot of MS since pre-Covid. Back in the game for a while trying to meet a couple of SUBs.
Call in to speak with CSR. $19 purchase decline could mean there's a problem with your VGC
Old Jun 6, 2023, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
I have a lot of old vanilla cards with few dollars left to use for trials. All of a sudden, I had most of them locked. Called them and of course they asked me million questions about last 5 transactions etc. Wanted some sort of paperwork done so they can re-issue card with 2.09 on it. Clowns.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 4:52 am

I assume you waited an hour before using the card as that is how long it takes for it to activate. I would call and see if it is a hacked card. Keep your purchase receipt and activation receipt.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:03 am
ra7

I had similar issues with SS VGC. Got declined at Kroger and Walmart. Never had issues with them before.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
All is clear now with my $500 Vanilla VGC. I called the number on the back of the card and they said they had declined the card due to "suspicious activity." After verifying the merchants I attempted to use the card at, they unblocked it and I was able to liquidate with no problem. Never had this happen before.
danpeake likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 3:43 pm
ra7

All is clear now with my $500 Vanilla VGC. I called the number on the back of the card and they said they had declined the card due to "suspicious activity." After verifying the merchants I attempted to use the card at, they unblocked it and I was able to liquidate with no problem. Never had this happen before.
I was able to use my 2 cards yesterday and bought 2 more yesterday. But both of them again had the same symptoms. So definitely something is going on
Old Jun 8, 2023, 6:32 pm
Idk

Originally Posted by ra7
I was able to use my 2 cards yesterday and bought 2 more yesterday. But both of them again had the same symptoms. So definitely something is going on
Are you checking the balance online/changing the pin online? I was, and ended up getting these fraud locks. Now I literally open the package and liquidate 1hr later. No checking the balance or changing the pin. Oddly enough now I have zero issues.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 8:01 pm
ra7

I never check the balance online. Just use them after waiting more than an hour or more. But the last 2 times I waited more than a day. I been using the SS cards for a long time never once I had issues until this week.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Idk
Are you checking the balance online/changing the pin online? I was, and ended up getting these fraud locks. Now I literally open the package and liquidate 1hr later. No checking the balance or changing the pin. Oddly enough now I have zero issues.
That makes no sense.

I always check my cards activation and balance either online or by phone after an hour has passed, and I've never had an issue. All the branches I do MOs and BPs at believe I'm utilizing a bank debit card, so I must be sure they're going to work without any problems, as it would be difficult to explain why my "legit" bank debit card failed.

Why are you messing with the PIN anyway, as there is no preset PIN, the very first PIN you utilize auto becomes the PIN.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 5:51 am
ra7

Originally Posted by Whittaker
That makes no sense.

I always check my cards activation and balance either online or by phone after an hour has passed, and I've never had an issue. All the branches I do MOs and BPs at believe I'm utilizing a bank debit card, so I must be sure they're going to work without any problems, as it would be difficult to explain why my "legit" bank debit card failed.

Why are you messing with the PIN anyway, as there is no preset PIN, the very first PIN you utilize auto becomes the PIN.
I never reset my pin either. But I never faced issues with SS VGC till this week. Not sure if any others are facing similar issues.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 7:47 am

I frequently encounter Vanillas that always decline on the first swipe, but the 2nd always goes through, as if it's some half-assed attempt at a fraud block. But I've never had one (that is otherwise activated) permanently decline where I had to call in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.