Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Best prepaid card Issuer for online purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Which prepaid cards / issuers are accepted the most for online purchases?

I've found some online merchants randomly don't accept my Bancorp Vanilla gift cards. Preferably non-reloadable cards because I don't want to provide my SSN.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by memphus
Which prepaid cards / issuers are accepted the most for online purchases?

I've found some online merchants randomly don't accept my Bancorp Vanilla gift cards. Preferably non-reloadable cards because I don't want to provide my SSN.
Did you register your GC before you tried to use it on-line?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:42 am

I mostly only have experience with Metabank but if you're willing to use Paypal I have a 100% success rate adding the card on Paypal and paying that way. There are definitely places that seemingly block the card otherwise. And now that you can split on Paypal, it's easy to drain the cards to $0.00.

The main problem using these cards for ordinary spend is that Metabank is either being negligent or malicious when it comes to returns. They will often refuse a return credit transaction and then lock the card. They'll then be happy to send you a new card with a new number when you call them, but the return money is wedged in to purgatory somewhere: you've got three parties pointing the finger at each other (Metabank, Paypal, and the merchant) and you look really sus trying to ask the merchant to "retry" the return on to a different card as Metabank tells you to do in such a case. I've got a handful of returns stuck in such a state and I don't know if I'm going to have to CFPB or small claims or what. So I'd avoid using these cards for spend where the chance you'll make a return is anything more than near-zero.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by SpongyBard
I mostly only have experience with Metabank but if you're willing to use Paypal I have a 100% success rate adding the card on Paypal and paying that way. There are definitely places that seemingly block the card otherwise. And now that you can split on Paypal, it's easy to drain the cards to $0.00.

The main problem using these cards for ordinary spend is that Metabank is either being negligent or malicious when it comes to returns. They will often refuse a return credit transaction and then lock the card. They'll then be happy to send you a new card with a new number when you call them, but the return money is wedged in to purgatory somewhere: you've got three parties pointing the finger at each other (Metabank, Paypal, and the merchant) and you look really sus trying to ask the merchant to "retry" the return on to a different card as Metabank tells you to do in such a case. I've got a handful of returns stuck in such a state and I don't know if I'm going to have to CFPB or small claims or what. So I'd avoid using these cards for spend where the chance you'll make a return is anything more than near-zero.
Is there any reason you're using these cards for "regular" spending?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Is there any reason you're using these cards for "regular" spending?
When the music stopped on my main liquidation method I was holding a huge stack. I figured no problem just spending them down over time (don't mind the float). And for the most part it was fine until getting burned by a couple large returns that went in to the ether.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1
Did you register your GC before you tried to use it on-line?
Yes. I verified it works for the majority of merchants but at some merchants it always get declined.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by SpongyBard

@SpongyBard
Have you tried using your Metabank gift cards on Paypal's bill pay system. I tried to pay a bill pay, with a Simon Mall visa giftcard, using Paypal's bill pay. It did not work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.