Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Carried forward from 2019-2022 thread

As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts in the 2019-2022 thread and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

Prior threads can be found here:
2019-2022: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...19-2022-a.html
Prior to 2019: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2022-24)

Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by st0ne
Is the new WU printer prone to broken? All three WMs near me are all down.
One of my close branches switched to WU a couple months ago, and they've had a 'NO MONEY ORDERS' sign up for two weeks now. Any branch that announces they switched from MG to WU should strike fear in the heart of any MSer.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Carrisco
Mostly what I hear from the frontend leads at my local WM is that they don't have enough trained reps to run CS and MC at the same time, so the CS desk is always prioritized...
And I have to stand behind a line of people trying to return something without a receipt, return children's toys without all the parts, or little old ladies (bless their heart) that think they were overcharged but turns out they just don't know how to read and comprehend a receipt.

There are a few CS reps that are cool enough to walk down to the MC and help me but it's random and depends on how long the CS line is...
Yep. I have one branch where they have to walk me down the concourse from the CS to the MC to do MOs. I asked why nobody is at the MC, and she said we just don't have enough people.

GEE, maybe if they hadn't killed the MO kiosks and the BP app, they wouldn't require as many employees.
Carrisco likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:51 am

It worked for me as of November last year (no $99 max).

-b.
Liquidated $600 with 1 swipe today. No issues at all. Thanks.
Carrisco likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:10 am

Is it possible to increase my capacity by using my drivers license for $8,000 MO in a day and using my passport for $8,000 MO in a day to total $16,000 in MO on the same day?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by no1speciallll
Is it possible to increase my capacity by using my drivers license for $8,000 MO in a day and using my passport for $8,000 MO in a day to total $16,000 in MO on the same day?
At those levels, you may want to review the "Are you banned at Walmart" thread to see what sort of trouble you could be getting yourself into.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:19 pm

Not concerned with trouble, I am just asking someone to let me know if it works.
I know that you are scared of your shadow.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:26 pm

I would think so.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM) | Hertz President's Circle
Theoretically possible, but might be problematic at the same store.

Also, assuming we're talking about a MG MO location, expect the ban hammer on both forms of ID sooner than later. We haven't figured out what the new threshold is but they are banning all kinds of MSers, plenty that would not be considered high volume.

-b.

Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Theoretically possible, but might be problematic at the same store.

Also, assuming we're talking about a MG MO location, expect the ban hammer on both forms of ID sooner than later. We haven't figured out what the new threshold is but they are banning all kinds of MSers, plenty that would not be considered high volume.

-b.
He isn't concerned about that
Carrisco likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:36 pm

Well, alriiiighty then.

I hope he donates the DPs while going out with a bang, then. It would actually be useful as we're trying to collect as many DPs as possible regarding this new wave of bans.

-b.

Originally Posted by radonc1
He isn't concerned about that
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:25 am

Is it confirmed that when USB VGCs fail at Walmart due to this new "blocking" that has reportedly been taking place, it always does so with code 57/58?

-b.

Originally Posted by carlitos
Ok, I have two Krogy VGCs left, one from the store, and another one that never activated and was sent to my address directly from US Bank with my name on it. I will go test the Mid West Middle of Nowhere Wally with those two VGCs. I will update later. Also, if it fails, it should be 57/58 code, so will look at the printed piece of paper. Thanks for the DP.

Update: Tried a $495 MO + $1 fee for a total of $496 and it went through on the first swipe. So there goes the old VGC from Krogy. Now going to buy another $500 VGC at Krogy, change the PIN immediately and try again for a $497 + $1 MO, after draining the missing $4 usd from the previous one while buying some other stuff too. After that, I will go ahead and try for a $998 MO with split payment. I will report back.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Is it confirmed that when USB VGCs fail at Walmart due to this new "blocking" that has reportedly been taking place, it always does so with code 57/58?

-b.
It usually does with Codes 57, 58 or 01 for me, and include the legend "debit not available". I haven't had that problem for the last couple of VGCs, so I am sticking to my old store where they go through without a problem.
Carrisco likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:58 pm

I tried buying some MOs at WM for first time in several years tonight. I only did a single $195 MO using a $200 Metabank VGC, I had expected to need to make multiple $99 swipes based off past posts I read but it went through without issue with one swipe.

I'm going to try to increase MO amount to $799 next time and see if it will allow 4x $200 VGC swipes
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by bubbabp
... $200 Metabank VGC, I had expected to need to make multiple $99 swipes based off past posts I read but it went through without issue with one swipe.
Interesting DP, thanks! Could you describe that card in more detail, so that others can test it at other locations -- e.g. color / graphics on the card, first 4 digits and exp date, etc.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by bubbabp
I tried buying some MOs at WM for first time in several years tonight. I only did a single $195 MO using a $200 Metabank VGC, I had expected to need to make multiple $99 swipes based off past posts I read but it went through without issue with one swipe.

I'm going to try to increase MO amount to $799 next time and see if it will allow 4x $200 VGC swipes
is it the everyday vgc?
danpeake and littlewinglet like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.