Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2022 onwards)

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2022 onwards)

Old Apr 17, 22, 7:38 pm

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
Adding a DP. It seems the 4118 cards are being specifically targetted by hackers. The one I have a claim open for is 4118. These are mainly sold by walgreens and cvs. Be careful out there folks.
Can you explain what you mean by 4118? how can we check if the vgc first 4 #'s start with 4118 if we have to buy it first?
Old Apr 17, 22, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by helpboo View Post
Can you return back in line and buy another $395 MO after the first transaction until done with MS? Do banks even allow that many money orders to be deposited? In order to avoid having a bank shutting you down by closing your account, should these money orders be cashed out for cash and not deposit money in the checking? Im afraid account closure means keeping money.
Originally Posted by helpboo View Post
Can you explain what you mean by 4118? how can we check if the vgc first 4 #'s start with 4118 if we have to buy it first?
All those issues are best addressed in the following thread, and preferably one at a time: New to Manufactured Spending? Start here (2019-2021)
Old Apr 18, 22, 12:45 pm

New here, wondering if this will work

Greetings, Iím new to the ms fourm and recently bought a Mastercard gc. Specifically from Amazon hereís the name

($100 Mastercard Gift Card (plus $5.95 Purchase Fee)

I was just wondering if this will work. I know visa gift cards are way better for this but I didnít really have a clue so I just bought this based on the issuer instead which is metabank. As of writing this I will be heading to WM a little later and trying it out for the first time but wanted to see if this card was suitable. My Walmart has western union btw
Old Apr 18, 22, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
Adding a DP. It seems the 4118 cards are being specifically targetted by hackers. The one I have a claim open for is 4118. These are mainly sold by walgreens and cvs. Be careful out there folks.
How did your claim end up? I had 2, both on 4097 cards. They "decided in my favor" but shorted me on the value and have as of yet, ignored my requests for clarification.
Old Apr 18, 22, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Awp0 View Post
Greetings, Iím new to the ms fourm and recently bought a Mastercard gc. Specifically from Amazon hereís the name

($100 Mastercard Gift Card (plus $5.95 Purchase Fee)

I was just wondering if this will work. I know visa gift cards are way better for this but I didnít really have a clue so I just bought this based on the issuer instead which is metabank. As of writing this I will be heading to WM a little later and trying it out for the first time but wanted to see if this card was suitable. My Walmart has western union btw

I am not sure if the Amazon MC works at WM or not, but your cost for MS is too high.
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215 View Post
I am not sure if the Amazon MC works at WM or not, but your cost for MS is too high.
Ok, I havenít tried yet but I bought another one from target and itís a visa gc issued from metabank and serviced my incommn. First 4 digits are 4097
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:19 pm

Ok, I havenít tried yet but I bought another one from target and itís a visa gc issued from metabank and serviced my incommn. First 4 digits are 4097
And does the activation fee far outweigh the value of the miles you are earning?
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post
And does the activation fee far outweigh the value of the miles you are earning?
Weíll sort of. I get 5% back either way which pays for activation fee.

This was honestly just a test run if Iím being honest. Iíve never done this before so I figured if I just test it out to see if it works past >99$ swipe limit .

Also Iím not losing money at all because I know someone who wants to buy the cards from me.

Iím going to try it tomorrow on my off day at my local WM, Iíll update you guys with details. Im from NY Long Island btw
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:50 pm

We are all looking forward to hearing about it
Old Apr 18, 22, 9:05 pm

Weíll sort of. I get 5% back either way which pays for activation fee.

This was honestly just a test run if Iím being honest. Iíve never done this before so I figured if I just test it out to see if it works past >99$ swipe limit .

Also Iím not losing money at all because I know someone who wants to buy the cards from me.

Iím going to try it tomorrow on my off day at my local WM, Iíll update you guys with details. Im from NY Long Island btw
If the best outcome for you is ďnot losing money,Ē then you are missing the point of MS. Itemize the full cost of the transaction (including activation fees, money order fees, etc.), and then compare that to the value of the mileage points or cashback received from your credit card.

if you are only breaking even, then it is a big waste of time.
cruisr and volabam like this.
Old Apr 19, 22, 1:27 am

If you are testing it and just getting your feet wet, it’s not a big waste of time. Better to find out a $100 card works or not versus a $500 card, imo.
tc fly girl likes this.
Old Apr 19, 22, 7:48 am
Suspended

Iíll update you guys with details. Im from NY Long Island btw
I hope you're from Suffolk and not Nassau, Ive had problems in the past in Nassau its just as bad as NYC
Old Apr 19, 22, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by TucsonJohn View Post
If you are testing it and just getting your feet wet, itís not a big waste of time. Better to find out a $100 card works or not versus a $500 card, imo.
It would be a lot more useful to find out if a $500 card works. If you hope to build a MS career based on $100 cards, you are a true glutton for punishment.
Old Apr 19, 22, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post
It would be a lot more useful to find out if a $500 card works. If you hope to build a MS career based on $100 cards, you are a true glutton for punishment.
Lot less stressful if it doesnít work and you donít know any other options but regular spend. And maybe having to explain to player 2. 🙄 But agree itís not a good option to stick with small denomination cards.
Old Apr 19, 22, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TucsonJohn View Post
Lot less stressful if it doesnít work and you donít know any other options but regular spend. And maybe having to explain to player 2. 🙄 But agree itís not a good option to stick with small denomination cards.
the only exception I can think of is some lower denominations fee costs less, so if a person buys a low fee card and finds getting MOs isnt their thing, then its less money down the drain. Yea it can be used for reg Spend, but when I remove the cats where I earn bonus pts and where theres purchase protection there isnt many things left day to day. But if a person wouldnt have a problem unloading it on everyday Spend then I agree get the $500
Steve in Olympia likes this.

Search this Thread