Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:11 am
Original Poster

2022 Shutdown Thread

Here it is. Brand new thread for 2022! Happy New Year everyone.

Previous discussion is here:

2021 Shutdown Thread
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:39 pm

I might be the first victim here. woo! trying for the companion pass and hit just over $9k in spending before being sent to account review hell. I have three other chase cards but this is my first new one in two years. I got the companion pass last back inn 2015-2016 and hadn't tried for it since. I was banking on the 100k sign up bonus they touted at the end of the year. sigh. has anyone had luck fighting a closure?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by barcanomics
I might be the first victim here. woo! trying for the companion pass and hit just over $9k in spending before being sent to account review hell. I have three other chase cards but this is my first new one in two years. I got the companion pass last back inn 2015-2016 and hadn't tried for it since. I was banking on the 100k sign up bonus they touted at the end of the year. sigh. has anyone had luck fighting a closure?
did u go for 1-2 large spend like smvgc, or various small amounts?

Last edited by danhouston; Jan 4, 2022 at 12:20 am
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
did u go for 1-2 large spend like smvgc, or various small amounts?
They were between ~500 and ~1500 but never exact multiple of $505.95. I think it was the large volume as a whole in such a short time. I've been with Chase for 10ish years.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:33 am

Heard of a similar recent closure for the CP, but the person was cycling their CL. They had been a longtime Chase customer and were able to get reinstated.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
There are scattered reports of success, but those were a while ago and according to the poster, were not closures due to MSing per se, but rather due to some other abuse of the Chase system.

However, given the severity of the sentence, it is worth a try for a pardon.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:56 pm

Keybank froze my account after only a handful of mo's. New account opened due to checking bonus and account froze two weeks later. Filed CFPB and waiting to hear back. Anyone else I should contact?

Very poor csr where left hand has no clue what right hand is doing. CSR said go to branch, went into branch and they said everything fine, when it wasn't. Then a week goes by and branch manager calls saying someone may get in touch with you. Almost 3 weeks later and no contact.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by economyfly
Keybank froze my account after only a handful of mo's. New account opened due to checking bonus and account froze two weeks later. Filed CFPB and waiting to hear back. Anyone else I should contact?

Very poor csr where left hand has no clue what right hand is doing. CSR said go to branch, went into branch and they said everything fine, when it wasn't. Then a week goes by and branch manager calls saying someone may get in touch with you. Almost 3 weeks later and no contact.
The security portion of a commercial bank is independent of the retail section of the bank. It is not uncommon for a retail manager to have no clue as to what is happening to a customer's account when the Rats get involved.

If security is concerned that your account is fraudulent, then it will remain frozen and then cancelled if they feel it is warranted. There is no customer service when security is involved.

I suspect that there is more to the story than "a couple of MOs".

Perhaps you could expand on exactly what you deposited and withdrew and in what amount of time this occurred.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
The security portion of a commercial bank is independent of the retail section of the bank. It is not uncommon for a retail manager to have no clue as to what is happening to a customer's account when the Rats get involved.

If security is concerned that your account is fraudulent, then it will remain frozen and then cancelled if they feel it is warranted. There is no customer service when security is involved.

Perhaps you could expand on exactly what you deposited and withdrew and in what amount of time this occurred.
New accounts are usually not where you want to start depositing MOs. Accounts get extra scrutiny during the first 30 days.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1

There is literally nothing more to the story. Deposited a handful of mo's and got frozen. New account and its frozen due to suspicious activity. I wasnt able to withdraw anything as ach pull bounced and got hit with fee from credit card. I may have to file in small claims court if they dont cut me a check soon once they close the account. I'm assuming they'll just close it at this point.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
New accounts are usually not where you want to start depositing MOs. Accounts get extra scrutiny during the first 30 days.
It's a mixed bag though as i have done mo deposits in new accounts with no probs. P2 had a keybank again due to promo years back and did probably 6 figures in a couple of months and no aa. But yeah lesson learned with keybank.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:05 pm

There is literally nothing more to the story. Deposited a handful of mo's and got frozen. New account and its frozen due to suspicious activity. I wasnt able to withdraw anything as ach pull bounced and got hit with fee from credit card. I may have to file in small claims court if they dont cut me a check soon once they close the account. I'm assuming they'll just close it at this point.
It's a mixed bag though as i have done mo deposits in new accounts with no probs. P2 had a keybank again due to promo years back and did probably 6 figures in a couple of months and no aa. But yeah lesson learned with keybank.
It is more than just depositing MOs into an account. As I said, depositing "a handful" (whatever that means) of MOs can mean 10 $1000 MOs or 2 $25 ones.
What is more telling is what you did with that deposit. If it was ACHed out to another bank so that the average daily balance in the account was $1, then your account is more likely to be flagged than if you were writing checks to local merchants.

If I had to guess, you deposited approximately $6-8k and withdrawing that amount within several days of depositing it, either by paying off your credit cards, or by transferring the balance out of Key. (My bet would be the former).

Your other point is well taken. Some banks are more lax with such behavior than others. However, as mentioned by others, new accounts get greater scrutiny than seasoned ones. Key, obviously, is one of those banks who care about MO deposits.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:41 pm

likely bc of new acct; other banks may do the same. Hopefully, ur filing with CFPB would soon get ur $ back
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
likely bc of new acct; other banks may do the same. Hopefully, ur filing with CFPB would soon get ur $ back
I suspect that Key will release his funds as soon as the source of the deposit funds are verified and the bank takes possession of them.

The CFPB will not interfere with a Treasury Bureau mandated requirement whatsoever.

The good news is that you will get your funds back eventually.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:48 am

Keybank froze my account after only a handful of mo's...
I wouldn't use Keybank as a routine MO deposit account. DPs of shutdowns many years ago for relatively low amounts, in the MO Deposit threads. For testing purposes, when I had an account aged > 6 months a few years ago I couldn't get ATM to accept Moneygram and WU was subject to an extended hold. Maybe that's changed but this is a problematic bank so just collect the bonus, wait 6 months to avoid early termination fee, then close account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.