Wiki Posts
Search

Amex visa GC MS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Amex visa GC MS

Have anyone had experiences with visa debit card MS with Amex? Verbiage while Google suggests that they can differentiate your normal grocery purchase from your vs gc purchase at the grocery store. This seems hard to believe for me so I want to see if anyone else had any experiences with this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:25 pm

Different stores supply different levels of information to CC companies. If the store supplies "Level 3" information, it's like giving the CC company a copy of your receipt, where they can tell exactly what you bought. Not all stores supply this level of detail.

Another way they can tell is by the amount. Repeated buys of $505.95 is a dead giveaway.

And their algorithms have other ways of determining if you're MSing. Even if you're not, I'm sure they have verbiage saying they can claw back rewards for any reason they deem appropriate.

So if you have particular places in mind, ask here if they supply Level3 data, avoid obvious amounts, and hope for the best. Good luck
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
Different stores supply different levels of information to CC companies. If the store supplies "Level 3" information, it's like giving the CC company a copy of your receipt, where they can tell exactly what you bought. Not all stores supply this level of detail.

Another way they can tell is by the amount. Repeated buys of $505.95 is a dead giveaway.

And their algorithms have other ways of determining if you're MSing. Even if you're not, I'm sure they have verbiage saying they can claw back rewards for any reason they deem appropriate.

So if you have particular places in mind, ask here if they supply Level3 data, avoid obvious amounts, and hope for the best. Good luck
Thank you for explanation! I didn't know about the L3 data before. I'm planning on buying the gift card alongside with my groceries so hopefully the predictably won't be a problem.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by quang319
Thank you for explanation! I didn't know about the L3 data before. I'm planning on buying the gift card alongside with my groceries so hopefully the predictably won't be a problem.
If you are only doing it once a week and are limiting your purchase of GC(s), then a bill in the $500-600 range, while large, is not unreasonable for a weekly grocery bill.

We have been doing this for months and Amex has not lowered the axe on us (yet ).

I suspect that when the rats see $3000 bills every other day, then noses and whiskers start to twitch.
littlewinglet likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Last I checked, Kroger and Office Depot are the two spots in my area where I can get $500 Visa GCs. Do those stores send level 3 data to Amex that would put my points/threshold spend at risk? I'm going to spend about $180K on my Delta cards this year. I'd like to manufacture the last $60K to make Diamond on Delta for next year.

EDIT: Continued searching and reading indicate that Office Depot is a no go because it provides L3 data to Amex. So I'm down to Kroger if Kroger (hopefully) works. Any other suggestions on where to pick up Visa GCs (which in turn can be liquidated at WM for MOs or billpay) with an Amex care?

Last edited by GatorBlues; Jun 4, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Last I checked, Kroger and Office Depot are the two spots in my area where I can get $500 Visa GCs. Do those stores send level 3 data to Amex that would put my points/threshold spend at risk? I'm going to spend about $180K on my Delta cards this year. I'd like to manufacture the last $60K to make Diamond on Delta for next year.

EDIT: Continued searching and reading indicate that Office Depot is a no go because it provides L3 data to Amex. So I'm down to Kroger if Kroger (hopefully) works. Any other suggestions on where to pick up Visa GCs (which in turn can be liquidated at WM for MOs or billpay) with an Amex care?
Even more searching would give you the following (and people can edit this ad libitum)

Greendot VGCs purchased at WMs
Secure spend VGCs purchased at gas stores, drug stores
Various one vanilla cards which can also be purchased at drug stores and gas stations (assuming the correct type of card for GC purchases).

The only problems with the above is finding stores where you can buy these cards with a credit card. That does take some hunting and as noted above, cannot be purchased in great quantities without attracting the rats.

The other problem of course is finding a liquidation source of the gift cards. But that is a problem for another thread.
GatorBlues likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:29 am

I can attest that if AmEx suspects MS activity, they will claw back points. This happened to me last year when I hit it hard at the grocery store, and while the grocery stores I frequent do not supply level 3 data, the gift card amounts could not be disguised enough to justify the spending I did on groceries. Fortunately, AmEx simply clawed back the points and did not close my accounts. It may be because I've had a relationship with AmEx for 30+ years, but truly don't know. The real downside was that I lost a few thousand dollars in gift card fees. My advice is to keep your amounts low. Don't get greedy as I did.
Telumendil likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.