FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Walmart to ban all MS activities effective 12/19/2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/2030321-walmart-ban-all-ms-activities-effective-12-19-2020-a.html)

benny08 Dec 12, 2020 9:51 am

Walmart to ban all MS activities effective 12/19/2020

There are quite a few reports of this. A internal memo has been posted regarding this. Just FYI, you may want to start liquidating your cards before then.

TTT103 Dec 12, 2020 10:02 am

Originally Posted by benny08 (Post 32880929)
There are quite a few reports of this. A internal memo has been posted regarding this. Just FYI, you may want to start liquidating your cards before then.

Can you post a copy of the memo. I'd love to see how they are going to implement this.

Broncocsu05 Dec 12, 2020 10:04 am

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4b&oe=5FFBF9DB

DiMAn0684 Dec 12, 2020 10:13 am

End of an era. Will always be grateful to WM for letting me hit a bunch of SUBs throughout the years.

benny08 Dec 12, 2020 10:18 am

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 32880951)
Can you post a copy of the memo. I'd love to see how they are going to implement this.

broncocsu05 just posted it. It’s not hard to train people to look for MS activities. Many Walmart essentially already have a ban in place. Now it’s the official operating policy not to allow such activities. Of course I’m sure some people will still be able to slip through the crack.

thierry1129 Dec 12, 2020 10:40 am

lol banned due to lengthy nature of the transactions.

each MO purchase barely takes 60 seconds even with four swipes. Most of the 'transactions' that take an exorbitant amount of time are wire transfers which none of the MSers will do.

Sad that they've decided to forgo the synergy created by MS. I buy stuff at Walmart way more often than necessary because I can literally just grab sth after buying a MO or reloading BB. Now I have no incentive to go to Walmart with my nearby grocer offering much higher quality products and much less crowded than Walmart.

ChrisFlyer66 Dec 12, 2020 10:54 am

Originally Posted by thierry1129 (Post 32881010)
lol banned due to lengthy nature of the transactions.

each MO purchase barely takes 60 seconds even with four swipes. Most of the 'transactions' that take an exorbitant amount of time are wire transfers which none of the MSers will do.

Sad that they've decided to forgo the synergy created by MS. I buy stuff at Walmart way more often than necessary because I can literally just grab something after buying a MO or reloading BB. Now I have no incentive to go to Walmart with my nearby grocer offering much higher quality products and much less crowded than Walmart.

If MSers were all just doing one or two transactions, this wouldn't have happened. But some whales come in and spend several hours loading cards, buying MO, doing bill pays, etc. The whales killed it. I was hoping Walmart would just limit it rather than kill it. I also won't have any reason to go to Walmart anymore.

benny08 Dec 12, 2020 11:47 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 (Post 32881038)
If MSers were all just doing one or two transactions, this wouldn't have happened. But some whales come in and spend several hours loading cards, buying MO, doing bill pays, etc. The whales killed it. I was hoping Walmart would just limit it rather than kill it. I also won't have any reason to go to Walmart anymore.

This. And also inexperience people jumping onboard before they study, or even do some simple reading about MS. Thus causing issues at money center and customer service desk requiring a manger to be call over.

littlewinglet Dec 12, 2020 12:00 pm

I don't think it's really possible to spend an hour on MS at WM anymore, unless you want to do a months worth of BPs all in one day. Some stores do allow multiple MO transactions and those really should be the ones cracked down on, not general quick MS.

The letter is oddly written and it's strange that they chose a future date to stop it, when they could have just sent out an instant decree.

ogg Dec 12, 2020 12:06 pm

That memo will come as a surprise to the many stores that banned MS activities years ago. Why do you think all these CSRs wanted to see your cards? And, as usual, it will be totally ignored by some stores, managers, CSRs because they never read it or don't remember it. It will make MS more difficult, of course, but there will still be places you can get your MS funk on.

TTT103 Dec 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Well isn't all of this lovey! I think part of the problem stemmed from those who would stand at the Money Center for 45 minutes doing bill pay after bill pay. It takes a heck of a lot less time purchasing a MO than it does to send a Money Gram. Ahhhhh!

tuphat Dec 12, 2020 12:57 pm

I'm sure that many CSRs and managers will translate this to "No money order sales for debit cards of any kind." Which will inconvenience us that use "regular" debit cards like Discover, Tab and PP Business at WM for MO purchases.

DjRocket Dec 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Time to get a part time job at WM MC and ignore the policy, at least until it explicitly states to check every MO customer payment method and deny it if it's a GC

calwatch Dec 12, 2020 2:44 pm

Yeah, it has essentially been the case in many urban areas like the Bay and LA for years, even back when they would stop me from using the Kate for longer than 10 minutes. If they had given specific items to ban then that's one thing, but I suspect the usual one or two swipe single MO purchase will be fine.

lumangoy Dec 12, 2020 3:02 pm

last modified 12/19?

why is last modified a future date?