Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Walmart to ban all MS activities effective 12/19/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walmart to ban all MS activities effective 12/19/2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ogg
The memo has been seen in different stores. It's not fake. How or if it will affect MSers is a different question.
yes, totally up to the individual store manager's discretional decision on if/how to enforce it. memo doesn't say MS is illegal, only says "lengthy nature of the transaction". if a store has a lot of MSers, they might disallow it.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy100
yes, totally up to the individual store manager's discretional decision on if/how to enforce it. memo doesn't say MS is illegal, only says "lengthy nature of the transaction". if a store has a lot of MSers, they might disallow it.
I will definitely test my local WM come 12/19 on this new policy but I am not hopeful it will be sustaining...maybe an extra day or 2. At this point I will try to get 1 or 2 more transactions before 12/19 using gebits and after that hoping I can at least use GoBank at least to do some MOs.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

My friendly Walmart told me people working at the MoneyCenter has been informed of this. Any "spilt transaction" or "multiple swipes" will be a red flag from now on.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:39 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

One WM (SWM), after gebit card PIN, failed. Printing journal. Manager came over. Walked away. Do not know the error. Check-out terminal probably programed.

Another WM (SWM). VGC loading is still good. But someone alerted the manager. So he came over. I used my bank debit card instead. Wrong PIN, aborted. That guys told me only one card loading is allowed per day. Walked away. No MC.

I only do essentials, like CC bonus and gas points. No MS really. I'll probably turn to more organic spending instead. Probably won't go to WM again until next year.

Those are $500 Meta VGCs.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy100
If they are concerned about the lengthy nature of the transaction....that is EXACTLY what KATE was for....We are just going in circles...
Old Dec 14, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by CerealCardSpender
If they are concerned about the lengthy nature of the transaction....that is EXACTLY what KATE was for....We are just going in circles...
Do you honestly believe that an excuse for a policy change is the real reason that WM instituted this policy change

WM doesn't need any reason to create a policy action. However, in order to appear logical and not irrational, providing an explanation for a policy is good PR.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Do you honestly believe that an excuse for a policy change is the real reason that WM instituted this policy change

WM doesn't need any reason to create a policy action. However, in order to appear logical and not irrational, providing an explanation for a policy is good PR.
I was being facetious...I know damn well why they got rid of Kate lol.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: All of them
A conversation from the future:

Karen: Sir, are you engaging in manufactured spending? That's against federal regulations, I can't complete the transaction.

LW: No mam, it's manufactured liquidation.

Karen: oh ok.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by benny08
My friendly Walmart told me people working at the MoneyCenter has been informed of this. Any "spilt transaction" or "multiple swipes" will be a red flag from now on.
I was told that by a WMNM manager like 6 months ago. If you look around the forums, you'll find plenty of data points of people going in to get a MO and only when they asked "Can I split this on two cards?" does the employee say "Show me the card."

Since the change to $99 swipes for Metas, there has probably been an explosion of jacknuts walking into MCs and asking to use 4 swipes to buy one MO. It should be a surprise to absolutely no one that the jump in multiswipe transactions at the MC was noticed back at HQ.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:33 pm

A friendly WM NM just showed me the memo and said they are sad to say they won’t let me do MOs or Card loads after Saturday.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:06 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Tectomoc
A friendly WM NM just showed me the memo and said they are sad to say they won’t let me do MOs or Card loads after Saturday.
Some still go. And the next WM, then the next next one.... They will kill them all. The thinking is that, if they can't get the MOs, then they would not want others to get MOs too. They want to kill them all. This is the way some people do things.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Since the change to $99 swipes for Metas, there has probably been an explosion of jacknuts walking into MCs and asking to use 4 swipes to buy one MO. It should be a surprise to absolutely no one that the jump in multiswipe transactions at the MC was noticed back at HQ.
Probably. And tbh, at this point, if the change pushes some of those jacknuts out of the game...I'm all for it.
jn in ca likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:57 pm

Why hasn't this thread been combines with regular WM thread?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Why hasn't this thread been combines with regular WM thread?
because the other thread is specific to buying MOs...
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Since this thread is discussing the same issues as the main Walmart money order thread, please continue the discussion over there.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...wards-204.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.