Making Payments to Your Own Fake Business

Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: none
Arrow Making Payments to Your Own Fake Business

Assuming it made financial sense after accounting for payment processing fees, are there legal/tax/other reasons not to do this? I would be paying myself as a sole proprietor...so would I owe tax on the large amount I'm running through? Or not, because I never actually made a profit?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
you don't think income 'earned' and paid to a sole proprietor is taxable?
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by TonyP1080
Assuming it made financial sense after accounting for payment processing fees, are there legal/tax/other reasons not to do this? I would be paying myself as a sole proprietor...so would I owe tax on the large amount I'm running through? Or not, because I never actually made a profit?
lol
Old May 1, 2020, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: none
Originally Posted by fmastr
you don't think income 'earned' and paid to a sole proprietor is taxable?

​​​​​​​Ordinarily, of course it is...
Old May 1, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
You should consult with the fake CPA that helped set up your fake business.
catawba, ericdabbs and mhdena like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This should work a treat, awesome idea!
Old May 1, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: Watergate
Yes but you may need to burn down your fake business for fake insurance money.
catawba and hhdl like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:36 pm

I'm sure NO tax authority anywhere would be interested in a "Business" that had a large throughput month after month..and never made a profit.... Oh wait...that sounds like certain airlines!
supervillian likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by trooper
I'm sure NO tax authority anywhere would be interested in a "Business" that had a large throughput month after month..and never made a profit.... Oh wait...that sounds like certain airlines!
I thought you were going to say a certain type of green paper laundry service
trooper likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I thought you were going to say a certain type of green paper laundry service
I was... but then I thought airlines was a funnier one!!! (TOO much time on my hands!!!)
Old May 2, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Double post, ignore.

Last edited by Gig103; May 3, 2020 at 12:49 am
Old May 2, 2020, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gig103
You should consult with the fake CPA that helped set up your fake business.
So you’ve said. I wonder how long before OP gets a nice letter from the IRS?
Old May 2, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
So you’ve said. I wonder how long before OP gets a nice letter from the IRS?
So you are saying that OP was not asking for guidance but that he already did it and asking for justification on his setup. HAHA
Old May 2, 2020, 4:01 pm

Money laundering jokes aside, I think the OP was just poorly worded. The "fake business" is probably just a DBA created for getting access to business credit cards, as many people do here. As far as "paying himself" I am guessing he's probably thinking along the lines of getting a Square account or similar and trying to run his own cards through it, if he can find one where the miles/points payout is higher than the processing costs, and that there is the problem. Very unlikely will you be able to get rewards that are higher than your processing costs, resulting in the whole thing not being worthwhile and the tax question being moot.
Old May 2, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
To OP's question - yes.

Merchant services audit clients for misuse and/or abuse of the use of the processing service periodically. If you have a legitimate business, and you pass through a few "fake" transactions for rewards, they may not be able to detect. But if you open one solely for that, they will catch them in no time.

Also - if you do this frequently, even you can go under the merchant services' radar, you won't with IRS. Merchant services are required to file and send you a Form 1099-K for what you have processed. It does not mean what processed are income. Still when IRS sees a high amount, you will be asked to explain it when you don't file any necessary schedules or returns related to what processed.

Even IRS accepts your explanation, still IRS can tax the reward earned as income (as you are doing that for profits rather than as a hobby). And IRS can add penalties and interests on the unreported income.

Don't forget - most people won't handle IRS on their own. They hire an accountant or tax lawyer. That costs. Self employment tax is about 15%. When you add everything up, you may end up pay more for your troubles than the reward you earn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.