Banned for life from PayPal & ebay

Old Apr 30, 20, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Banned for life from PayPal & ebay

Did a few £1000 through PP F&F in December on my Amex card with no idea that it could turn into an issue. However, upon further reading it seems this is a typical scenario. I stopped but apparently too late as a month later I got told my PayPal account is suspended. Very inconvenient as I have a couple of clients who send me regular (but small) payments which I'm struggling to find an alternative to. Have tried LC and calling but not got anywhere and word on the street seems to suggest this is futile.

Just realised that while my 15+ year old eBay account can still make purchases, without a valid PayPal account I can't sell anything at all on eBay which is massively inconvenient to say the least.

Has anyone found a way to reactivate a PayPal account closed (presumably) for a few k of MS? I've read a lot about "stealth ebay" etc. but is there any way at all to get my PayPal back again?
Old Apr 30, 20, 10:11 am

Open another eBay account and another paypal account using a different email address and another bank account.

I have 3 because I used to rotate eBay gift card from Game Stop, use them to buy discounted game stop cards on ebay, back to game stop to buy ebay card with game stop card (leaving $5 on the gamestop card, which they pay out in cash) and round and round in circles. At the time, eBay limited one account to $5k per account per year. I had 3 of each accounts and was in gamestop every day doing this nonsense. Never had anything shut down.
Brendan and Grog like this.
Old Apr 30, 20, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Car Jack View Post
Open another eBay account and another paypal account using a different email address and another bank account.

I have 3 because I used to rotate eBay gift card from Game Stop, use them to buy discounted game stop cards on ebay, back to game stop to buy ebay card with game stop card (leaving $5 on the gamestop card, which they pay out in cash) and round and round in circles. At the time, eBay limited one account to $5k per account per year. I had 3 of each accounts and was in gamestop every day doing this nonsense. Never had anything shut down.
I should have said I tried this. Just with PayPal. It was linked (I used the same postal address and name) within a week after I received a £30 payment and closed.

If you read around, you'll see linking is very common and they have a lot of metrics to do this by. I was more looking to people who have had shut accounts reopened or found ways of using PayPal again as it's very easy to have multiple accounts of each before they unilaterally decide you've done something they don't like.
Old Apr 30, 20, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Car Jack View Post

I thought the loop was closed to buy third party GCs with gamestop GCs?
Old Apr 30, 20, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bargainhunter3 View Post
I thought the loop was closed to buy third party GCs with gamestop GCs?
I guess that's why they used past tense.
Old Apr 30, 20, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by mhrb View Post
... I was more looking to people who have had shut accounts reopened or found ways of using PayPal again as it's very easy to have multiple accounts of each before they unilaterally decide you've done something they don't like.
I ditch existing PP accoount and open a new one whenever there's a slighest problem from them. Reviving a flagged account takes too much effort, and may be pointless anyways. If PP is holding your money hostage, they'll return it in 6 months, whether you comply with their "procedures" or not.
Old Apr 30, 20, 12:08 pm

Not sure if they do this now, but PP used to use IP addresses to link accounts/activity. So even if you use a different email address and physical address, they may still link and close. A long time ago I had a business and allowed a customer to use our office computer to make a Paypal payment to us. A few weeks later, our paypal account was suspended and funds frozen because fraudulent activity had been detected in customer's account and as he had used our computer, they assumed the accounts had some relationship. We had nothing to do with any of that but it took quite some time to provide documentation to prove this and unfreeze everything.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 30, 20, 2:27 pm
ogg

If your issue is selling on Ebay without a PayPal account, you can do that by setting up payment with a different merchant credit card processor. You don't have to use PayPal any longer to sell on Ebay.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 30, 20, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ogg View Post
If your issue is selling on Ebay without a PayPal account, you can do that by setting up payment with a different merchant credit card processor. You don't have to use PayPal any longer to sell on Ebay.
eBay is going to introduce a new payment partner. So PayPal may be soon history.
Brendan, bbbb and cuthroat like this.
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
I ditch existing PP accoount and open a new one whenever there's a slighest problem from them. Reviving a flagged account takes too much effort, and may be pointless anyways. If PP is holding your money hostage, they'll return it in 6 months, whether you comply with their "procedures" or not.
Thanks but how do you open a PP account you can actually use (I only need it for the odd eBay auction and maybe one F&F payment a month) without them linking and immediately shutting down?
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeff191 View Post
Not sure if they do this now, but PP used to use IP addresses to link accounts/activity. So even if you use a different email address and physical address, they may still link and close.
Yes they definitely still do. I thought this was a common problem with MS?

Originally Posted by ogg View Post
Huh? From everywhere I've checked you still need a PayPal account? I've moved other things to Stripe but there's no option when listing an auction I can see.

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
eBay is going to introduce a new payment partner. So PayPal may be soon history.
​​​​​​​
Really? Source?
Old Apr 30, 20, 5:35 pm
ogg

Google is your friend.
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/li...ethods?id=4184
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/li...-cards?id=4185
Old Apr 30, 20, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by mhrb View Post
Thanks but how do you open a PP account you can actually use (I only need it for the odd eBay auction and maybe one F&F payment a month) without them linking and immediately shutting down?
I honestly don't know why PP would or would not shut down an account. I don't use them for MS, large transactions, or link to a deposit acct with real balances -- i.e. treat them as a borderline rogue player. Although in the last few years I haven't had any problems with PP used strictly with eBay. They do have a recent rule allowing PP to retain their fee for cancelled or returned sales.
Old Apr 30, 20, 9:55 pm

Always risks with someone else's ecosystem. It probably should become harder to ban people when you are the or a partial market maker.
Old Apr 30, 20, 10:06 pm

If you havenít been banned for life from eBay and or PayPal do you even MS?

Donít worry, new account, new info, new IP and fresh browser and youíll be fine for another run.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: