Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Debit card cashback on VGC at grocery stores.... does this work?

Old Dec 18, 19, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

Maybe i just didn't search correctly, but does debit card cash back on prepaid debit work at grocery stores that offer this? Asking for a friend.
Old Dec 18, 19, 9:47 pm

OH MAN WHY DIDN'T ANYONE THINK OF THIS

/s
Old Dec 18, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Maybe i just didn't search correctly, but does debit card cash back on prepaid debit work at grocery stores that offer this? Asking for a friend.
I never tried or even attempt to try, common knowledge tells me it's not possible unless your friend find an unicorn.
Old Dec 19, 19, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by camaross View Post
OH MAN WHY DIDN'T ANYONE THINK OF THIS

/s
Thanks for your insight. Nobody is going to be able to MS there way there with this since it's typically limited to $40. I was really just curious if it worked.
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Thanks for your insight. Nobody is going to be able to MS there way there with this since it's typically limited to $40. I was really just curious if it worked.
If you carefully read the T&C's of your VGC, on it is the very unfortunate statement that use at ATM's or obtaining cash is not allowed.

I once tried at Aldi's (when I was quite inexperienced at this game) of requesting $10 back after buying some groceries with a VGC and getting a blunt denial from the register for said cash.
Old Dec 19, 19, 11:00 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by mySimon411 View Post
I never tried or even attempt to try, common knowledge tells me it's not possible unless your friend find an unicorn.
I went around once to try and do just that, thought maybe a unicorn was out there - took a $200 Metabank VGC from Staples and attempted the $40 cashback from a bunch of supermarkets, including Trader Joes and Whole Foods. All cashiers were surprisingly nice enough to let me try it. Rejected on all fronts. As soon as you specify cashback on the terminal, it declines.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: