Community
Wiki Posts
Search

double-dog manufactured spending ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

double-dog manufactured spending ?

So I needed to buy something expensive and we used wife's credit card to work towards bonus spending she needs. I'll use Paypal, funded by my credit card, to pay her back. If I get points on my card for that, then as a couple we've gotten double mileage (so to speak) off of my big purchase.

Too good to be true ? Do credit cards typically not give points for charges for Paypal payments to "friends" ?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Funding your Paypal account with a credit card has transaction fees.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
As best as I can tell, the "transaction" fee is $0.99 to $4.99 max (depending on the amount you are funding) plus a second "funding" fee of 2.9% of the transaction amount. (This has the feel of an ULC airline. I am surprised that they don't have "internet access" fee and a "sign in" fee as well )

Only you can calculate whether the reward you are trying to earn on the credit card account will surpass the amount of money you will be charged by PP to fund the account with a credit card.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Yeah, that's what I figured the rub must be. I've only used Paypal to make payments to merchants, and there's no fee (visible to me, although I guess the merchant pays one).
Only you can calculate whether the reward you are trying to earn on the credit card account will surpass the amount of money you will be charged by PP to fund the account with a credit card
Sounds like making a estimated tax payments at pay1040-dot-com, where the fee is only 1.87%, is probably a better way to mfg'r spending;

Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
If you read through this entire forum, you will find a wide variety of solutions to MS, with varying costs. The lowest-cost systems are to buy gift cards, then use those to buy money orders or pay your credit card bill directly. Total fees can vary from as low as 0.50% to as high as 3.5%.

Some people who are just trying to meet the minimum spend requirement for a credit card are looking for the simplest solution, and for a one-off MS of $3-5K it might be worth it. There are people here who do multiples of that amount every day. Even some of the high-volume MSers are always on the lookout for an emergency way to liquidate cards if all their primary sources become unavailable - like they go to the local Walmart one day are and told "No money orders for YOU." (Channel either the soup nazi on Seinfeld or the Roman soldier warning Jesus not to give water to Judah Ben-Hur.)
soy and RustyShackleford1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.