purchase declines

Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

purchase declines

for us less experienced in current creditcards policies and practices.. annoying they me be, is there a post covering the avoidance of immediate secirty alerts and lockdowns like for example with large purchases?

in my zealousness to meet my SUB spend requires i get shut down on big purchases on my new cards.
is there an comprehensive giuide for avoiding the annoying declines?

todays experience with barclay biz suggests keep it under a grand but if they gave me a 7K CL should i not be able shut that <redacted> off?

plus i'm not too happy with them saying they cleared it and i'm okay to make the big piurchase then they just continue to dick me at the register.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Nov 20, 2019 at 10:44 pm Reason: masked profanity not permitted
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:23 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
If large purchase notification doesn't make the transaction go through then something else is triggering a fraud alert. Try making small purchases for a week or two and then go large. I don't think anyone knows the surefire way around fraud detection algorithms... that's kind of the point.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by flyerduude
plus i'm not too happy with them saying they cleared it and i'm okay to make the big piurchase then they just continue to dick me at the register.
This has always been confusing to me. If you call them and inform them ahead of time that you'll have some upcoming large purchases and they supposedly 'clear' the account to do it, then why would rejections still occur at the register? Perhaps it's worth asking them exactly what new limit per transaction their 'clear' gives you?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by bigshooter
If large purchase notification doesn't make the transaction go through then something else is triggering a fraud alert. Try making small purchases for a week or two and then go large. I don't think anyone knows the surefire way around fraud detection algorithms... that's kind of the point.
This is good advice. Everything I've read always does say to ramp up over time...as you go larger bit by bit, the algorithm will adjust and adapt to your spending patterns. Supposedly. YMMV.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

i guess not carrying a cellphone is probably part of it.
old dogs.

i think something they said like over 1000 could be doing it.
guess i'll keep it under that for while.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:44 pm

YMMV is prevalent here. Case in point: I received an email from Citi Sears that they were doing a promotion. 10% in statement credit at grocery, gas and restaurants. Great. I take it out of the sock drawer and attempt to use it during a stop and shop period where VGC get 2X gas points. Declined. I call them. They are fine after I identify everything they want. They say to try again while they're on the phone. Declined. They reset again and it goes through.

Back in Red Bird days, I used my new-to-me Citi double cash. They'd decline anything that was an even one hundred dollar purchase. So I'd buy $993.75 and it would go through fine.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:19 pm

Yup definitely YMMV and probably very dependent on your existing credit profile with the issuer. I have 4 Citi personal cards and recently got the Citi Business AA. I was able to complete the $5k SUB in one purchase without issues. P2 who just got a CIP (w/only 1 previous Chase personal card) got declined on a ~$400 first purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.