Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Issue With Mastercard Giftcards (Purchase Not Authorized and Funds Drained)

Issue With Mastercard Giftcards (Purchase Not Authorized and Funds Drained)

Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:26 pm

got my money back on the 2 x $500 MCs today! wahoo!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
received my $200 back from these crooks.
no more MC for me
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:59 am

I had three MCGC come back not authorized but drained last night. Some worked, even on the same transaction, and it was only at one store where I had the issue. Just letting people to be aware again.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
I had three MCGC come back not authorized but drained last night. Some worked, even on the same transaction, and it was only at one store where I had the issue. Just letting people to be aware again.
I heard others say there has been no issue for a month. Did not believe it. Glad I did not participate in the recent Office Depot promo on MasterCards. It is ridiculous that on top of gift cards not offering consumer protections, all your money can vanish for no reason.

I did receive the 12/16/2019 settlement for two $500 cards I lost on 10/23/2019, but still nothing for funds lost on 10/13/2019. Did anyone else not automatically get the refund? I am thinking they just automatically did ones newer than mid-October.

They are continuing to send me emails requesting additional documents for my disputes on the cards that were automatically refunded, but nothing further on the dispute for the card that did not get refunded.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:30 pm

At a local grocery store I just got a "Card Issuer Inoperative" error on a Blackhawk issued VGC. Funds drained despite store representatives stating it did not go through and there was no documentation of the declined transaction available. Maybe this is limited to just me or that store, but very similar experience to what occurred for me a few months ago with MCGC.

Does anyone have any experience successfully getting Blackhawk to return funds via dispute when the store is stating no documentation available? I have names of CSR's I spoke to so I can at least write up a narrative of what occurred and that I tried to resolve with the merchant.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by skaterr03
At a local grocery store I just got a "Card Issuer Inoperative" error on a Blackhawk issued VGC. Funds drained despite store representatives stating it did not go through and there was no documentation of the declined transaction available. Maybe this is limited to just me or that store, but very similar experience to what occurred for me a few months ago with MCGC.

Does anyone have any experience successfully getting Blackhawk to return funds via dispute when the store is stating no documentation available? I have names of CSR's I spoke to so I can at least write up a narrative of what occurred and that I tried to resolve with the merchant.
Originally Posted by dealhunter32
I heard others say there has been no issue for a month. Did not believe it. Glad I did not participate in the recent Office Depot promo on MasterCards. It is ridiculous that on top of gift cards not offering consumer protections, all your money can vanish for no reason.

I did receive the 12/16/2019 settlement for two $500 cards I lost on 10/23/2019, but still nothing for funds lost on 10/13/2019. Did anyone else not automatically get the refund? I am thinking they just automatically did ones newer than mid-October.

They are continuing to send me emails requesting additional documents for my disputes on the cards that were automatically refunded, but nothing further on the dispute for the card that did not get refunded.
mygift.giftcardmall.com has been frequently throwing "technical errors" when trying to check balances, and I did not some transaction seeming to dwell on the "processing" screen at the POS. Now that I think of it, I had a few swipes yesterday and two today for credit purchases that hung on the processing screen before getting declined, but then worked when trying again. Assuming not a local processor glitch, could be the issue is only with debit and doesn't happen with credit.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by skaterr03

There was some issue with Blackhawk for sure yesterday. I went to a Simon Mall to buy a few 1K VGCs and I was told they were unable to activate any Visa/MC at all. I was told to either wait or come back another day. The only thing they said was still working were retail GCs and Amex GCs. I told them I didn't want those and I'd drop by later.

Stopped by later and they said things were working again. So I managed to get a few 1K cards and not go home empty handed. CSR also mentioned that she does not think the 1K cards will be extended again and that Dec. 31 is the end of it.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
mygift.giftcardmall.com has been frequently throwing "technical errors" when trying to check balances, and I did not some transaction seeming to dwell on the "processing" screen at the POS. Now that I think of it, I had a few swipes yesterday and two today for credit purchases that hung on the processing screen before getting declined, but then worked when trying again. Assuming not a local processor glitch, could be the issue is only with debit and doesn't happen with credit.
I find this too, when it throws the error, just press F5 to refresh the page, click Check Balance tab again (numbers should be saved), and press Submit and it should go thru.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
I find this too, when it throws the error, just press F5 to refresh the page, click Check Balance tab again (numbers should be saved), and press Submit and it should go thru.
Called the number a few times the past couple days and there was a message that they were having problems. Finally got through today. "Your card is no longer active and cannot be supported by this interactive system or by customer service. Thank you for calling cardholder services. Goodbye."

Found the receipt from when I purchased those, says they were approved. Card used to purchase them hasn't received a credit.

Guess I'm in for some fun.

*edit* Finally was able to get through to a CS agent. The cards with the "technical error" were deactivated by the store I purchased them from.

Last edited by Bigzamboni; Dec 27, 2019 at 11:59 am
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:04 pm

My final card missing $500 got the money put back on it on January 3. I had an open dispute but there has been no emails about it. Check your cards if you were still missing funds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.