Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSing GCs with Amex

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
if you are considering MS on hilton cards, please do note that points have not been sent to hilton for heavy MSers. For 10k a month, it has not been a problem.
Wow. I was considering 10k really heavy. What kind of numbers were causing problems?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Originally Posted by bobert24
Wow. I was considering 10k really heavy. What kind of numbers were causing problems?
for points over 200k. Which is about 15k is spend.
reg 10k of MS, if you have been MS'ing on other AMEX cards, there should be no issues putting 10k of spend on hilton card. It also depends on your CL, to be extra safe you can MS say 3k first, pay it, then repeat it.
bobert24 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
for points over 200k. Which is about 15k is spend.
reg 10k of MS, if you have been MS'ing on other AMEX cards, there should be no issues putting 10k of spend on hilton card. It also depends on your CL, to be extra safe you can MS say 3k first, pay it, then repeat it.
nobody is safe from HH and marriott grocery bonus MS. people who MS only 2k got clawback. of course, some slipped thru.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
I got regular bonus spend at grocery, but not SUB. It's been over 2 weeks. 12x points are in Hilton acct but 175k SUB is not showing as earned yet. Used to amex bonuses posting immediately.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
I got regular bonus spend at grocery, but not SUB. It's been over 2 weeks. 12x points are in Hilton acct but 175k SUB is not showing as earned yet. Used to amex bonuses posting immediately.
They clawed back my June points in July, and they just clawed back my May points. It will be interesting to see what if anything posts when my August statement closes. I halted grocery spending on the card in June. Hopefully we can get back to normal. Lesson learned by me!
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by TTT103
They clawed back my June points in July, and they just clawed back my May points. It will be interesting to see what if anything posts when my August statement closes. I halted grocery spending on the card in June. Hopefully we can get back to normal. Lesson learned by me!
Buried within my $6-8K in spend on my Hilton card is several grocery store purchases on >$500 (but not much greater ) done on a once a week basis.
I have not had any of my points to this date clawed back. I am well under my CL and only pay my card when the bill arrives in the mail.

In other words, my account looks just like 99% of Amex's customers. It is when accounts starts to behave outside the standard (high dollar volumes at stores where those levels make no sense, cycling the account, charging to the credit line limit, etc.) is when Rats start to sniff.

And nosy rats produce poop in places you don't like
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Buried within my $6-8K in spend on my Hilton card is several grocery store purchases on >$500 (but not much greater ) done on a once a week basis.
I have not had any of my points to this date clawed back. I am well under my CL and only pay my card when the bill arrives in the mail.

In other words, my account looks just like 99% of Amex's customers. It is when accounts starts to behave outside the standard (high dollar volumes at stores where those levels make no sense, cycling the account, charging to the credit line limit, etc.) is when Rats start to sniff.

And nosy rats produce poop in places you don't like
Yes, I got greedy and paid the price. While disappointed, I am not upset. It is what it is. Interestingly, I did not exceed my normal monthly spend, but without travel, the grocery category exploded in my account. They likely saw that. I just hope they don't close my account, as I've been with AmEx forever.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
give us more details. i assume you were targeted so did you MS the MSR for the SUB at grocery with VGC purchases? there are multiple waiting periods and its YMMV. sometimes its ASAP. if not, then after a few statements. if not, then you wait 8-12 weeks. and if you still dont get it, you got eyes on your account.

Originally Posted by TTT103
what was you MS amount for each month?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:59 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-amex...de-11597397402

"Ms. Lewis said she saw some AmEx employees routinely submit corporate card applications without verifying the companies’ financial information, pocketing commissions each time. Beginning in 2018, Ms. Lewis said, she alerted higher-ups about those complaints. But AmEx, she said, had created a culture where employees can get rewarded for breaking rules."
Amex RATS so busy clawing back pennies on retail cards that they can't even keep their own house in order....hilarious.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
They are watching me.

I’ve been taking advantage of an Amex 10x spending bonus at Gas Stations for hotel points. A few times a week I visit my convenience store that sells Gas and VGCs.
After making my purchase today, for 1 card, the friendly clerk said, “you know, we get a phone call every time you come in , asking if you just put about 490 on a gift card.”
i asked if it was Amex or the gift card company. She didn’t know.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles
I’ve been taking advantage of an Amex 10x spending bonus at Gas Stations for hotel points. A few times a week I visit my convenience store that sells Gas and VGCs.
After making my purchase today, for 1 card, the friendly clerk said, “you know, we get a phone call every time you come in , asking if you just put about 490 on a gift card.”
i asked if it was Amex or the gift card company. She didn’t know.
First, you have to presume that the attendant is actually telling you the truth. If she were, your's would be my first DP where Amex actually called the merchant about a specific customer's purchase. What is more common is the charge is denied and the customer is contacted by the Fraud department asking if you actually were making the specific purchase.

With the above being said, if someone from Amex actually has been calling about your specific purchase(s), then you are the cheese and the ravenous Rats are in the room

If you are shut down, would you please let us know and fill in some details about the volume of MSing you were generating at that gas station.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
I will report back either way.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:25 pm

If you are shut down, would you please let us know and fill in some details about the volume of MSing you were generating at that gas station.
I understand why the 10x bonus points might be clawed back but would anybody be shut down for this? GCs are sold at gas stations legally and they accept AMEX CC as payment method. Even if I buy it every day and even several times a day. That's not a reason for a shutdown.

I suppose another potential issue is if you're using your P2 or AU user card because you might have maxed out on your own card for the 10x benefit. That is the case with me, I'm using my mother's card who is the AU on my account. If they receive a call and find out the purchaser was not a "she", that could be a problem. But again, I think that's easily explainable to an AMEX rep if they call.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by DjRocket
I understand why the 10x bonus points might be clawed back but would anybody be shut down for this? GCs are sold at gas stations legally and they accept AMEX CC as payment method. Even if I buy it every day and even several times a day. That's not a reason for a shutdown.

I suppose another potential issue is if you're using your P2 or AU user card because you might have maxed out on your own card for the 10x benefit. That is the case with me, I'm using my mother's card who is the AU on my account. If they receive a call and find out the purchaser was not a "she", that could be a problem. But again, I think that's easily explainable to an AMEX rep if they call.
The T&Cs for Amex does not allow for any rewards on "cash equivalents" which includes MO's, GC's, travelers checks (tip of the hat to the 20th century ) etc.

So you are correct that one or two instances of a random GC being purchased at a gas station (say for <$100) would pass unnoticed and probably not have the awards points clawed back, massive abuse of the above could be considered consumer fraud by Amex, and that is a beheading offense. This would also be the case in grocery stores where there would have to be some justification for multiple store charges of ...say $750 or more (just my guess on the amount )

Credit card companies are not stupid, and in times of economic stress, become much more attuned to things that cost them money. With the advent of AI, anomalies in spending (such as $600 gas station bills) will pop up, and once they do, beady little eyes start to examine why the computer spit out that account.
beachmiles and cuthroat like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 2:13 pm

The T&Cs for Amex does not allow for any rewards on "cash equivalents" which includes MO's, GC's, travelers checks (tip of the hat to the 20th century ) etc.

So you are correct that one or two instances of a random GC being purchased at a gas station (say for <$100) would pass unnoticed and probably not have the awards points clawed back, massive abuse of the above could be considered consumer fraud by Amex, and that is a beheading offense. This would also be the case in grocery stores where there would have to be some justification for multiple store charges of ...say $750 or more (just my guess on the amount )

Credit card companies are not stupid, and in times of economic stress, become much more attuned to things that cost them money. With the advent of AI, anomalies in spending (such as $600 gas station bills) will pop up, and once they do, beady little eyes start to examine why the computer spit out that account.
I hear what you're saying but again, I'm not talking about having my points clawed back or going unnoticed. Yes, there's a considerable chance of that happening, but it might be worth risking (i.e. cost/benefit). So the question here is about what is the worst possible case and what is its likelihood? And that would be the complete shutdown. I might be wrong of course but I don't believe that spending $7.5k , within the CL, on gift cards to max out say Marriot 10x promotion constitutes " massive abuse of the above" or "fraud" in the eyes of the AMEX. Do you have any data points to suggest otherwise, specifically to a case like this and not in general? Now if you're one of those who opened up 99 AUs on your account and they all go buy GC at 7/11, sure, of course that's abuse. But I'm talking about an "average Joe" going out buying 15 GCs within a CL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.