Wiki Posts
Search

MSing GCs with Amex

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:23 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by SideShowBob
I don't do Simon but I'm pretty sure you won't get any points for it biz or personal.
correct
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:51 am

Does anyone know if Amex gives delta miles for purchasing amex prepaids on the amex site? I thought I read a hard no, but I am not finding the info now. This is for a mother-in-law. Id just no a business blue plus or something if I wanted to waste my time with amex gift cards.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:25 am

Thank you for writing this post! I've never had an Amex card before and I'm thinking of getting one, but there are so many to choose from TBH. It's even harder for MSing after all the clawback and shutdown. So just to be clear, only grocery and gas station GC work. OD OM staples work for business and some personal cards(??). SM, GCM, and GCC don't work. Please correct me if I'm wrong!! Any card suggestions for Asia region 2 traveling is appreciated!
Old May 17, 2020, 8:17 pm

new to AMEX thinking about getting a Gold to MS, so grocery MS are all ok right?
Old May 18, 2020, 5:05 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by mickchanning
new to AMEX thinking about getting a Gold to MS, so grocery MS are all ok right?
Per the T&C gift cards not allowed, but most grocery do not seem to share L3 with Amex. YMMV
Spread it out over the year and mix in a few groceries each time so it looks more like organic spend
Old May 21, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by sa_cheerio
Thank you for writing this post! I've never had an Amex card before and I'm thinking of getting one, but there are so many to choose from TBH. It's even harder for MSing after all the clawback and shutdown. So just to be clear, only grocery and gas station GC work. OD OM staples work for business and some personal cards(??). SM, GCM, and GCC don't work. Please correct me if I'm wrong!! Any card suggestions for Asia region 2 traveling is appreciated!
Last time I ordered from GCM with AMex I received points. That was in Feb. Have not ordered since. SM is definitely a no go. Not sure about GCC.
sa_cheerio likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Has Amex cracked down on funding bank accounts with an Amex card?
Old May 27, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Has Amex cracked down on funding bank accounts with an Amex card?
I haven’t had any issues.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:30 pm

Do grocery store GCs (ex: Food lion gebit) count as MS or organic spending?

Last edited by sa_cheerio; Jun 11, 2020 at 8:53 pm
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:28 pm

Do grocery store GCs (ex: Food lion gebit) count as MS or organic spending?
Depends on how you’re using the giftcards. If you’re buying and liquidating via Prepaids or MOs then it’s MS. If you’re buying and using the cards later for groceries than it’s organic spend. I don’t think that’s what you’re asking though.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Clueless12
Depends on how you’re using the giftcards. If you’re buying and liquidating via Prepaids or MOs then it’s MS. If you’re buying and using the cards later for groceries than it’s organic spend. I don’t think that’s what you’re asking though.
I meant the actual brand/store credit, ie Walmart gift cards, Food lion gift cards.... You know the discounted gift cards we usually get on Raise, not Visa or master card GC. I was wondering if those would count towards the Amex Sign up bonus since I know MS(visa or mcgc won't work for Amex SUB.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:30 pm

I meant the actual brand/store credit, ie Walmart gift cards, Food lion gift cards.... You know the discounted gift cards we usually get on Raise, not Visa or master card GC. I was wondering if those would count towards the Amex Sign up bonus since I know MS(visa or mcgc won't work for Amex SUB.
Those would work fine as will VGCs and MCGCs if you’re avoiding buying at obvious places like Simon and those with Level 3 data reporting. Easy enough to vary the amounts.
sa_cheerio likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:51 pm

Any thoughts on how Amex reacts to a sudden increase in spending (MS)? There's a promo on one of my cards until the end of July that I'd like to take advantage of, but I'd be going from ~$10/month spending on the card to about $10,000.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Per Amex T&C's, you should not be getting any Amex awards for buying gift cards of any ilk, whether VGCs or retailer GCs. With that being said, I just bought a $500 VGC at a local supermarket with my Hilton Amex card and did receive full credit for it's purchase.

With that being said, I do not think that a weekly grocery bill of $500+ is out of the ordinary, but I think that if I were doing it on a daily basis, it might perk up some rats whiskers
bobert24 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
Originally Posted by bobert24
Any thoughts on how Amex reacts to a sudden increase in spending (MS)? There's a promo on one of my cards until the end of July that I'd like to take advantage of, but I'd be going from ~$10/month spending on the card to about $10,000.
if you are considering MS on hilton cards, please do note that points have not been sent to hilton for heavy MSers. For 10k a month, it has not been a problem.
bobert24 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.