Traveling with large quantity of GCs

Old Oct 29, 19, 11:53 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Just say your on your way to pay the IRS. They'll think you're a victim of a scam and send you on your way
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I thought about that CBP requirement thinking as you did. However, a close review of the definition of "cash equivalents" does not include GCs.
From this article, the following is seen:
"The U.S. Customs office defines this as cash, stocks, bonds, money orders, personal or cashier's checks, coins and cash."

So it appears that carrying a piece of plastic, that actually is only good in the USA to begin with, across borders appears to be kosher without declaring it.
(Please be advised, I am not a lawyer and don't currently reside in a HIE, so take this as a layman doing basic research. If someone knows better, have at it )
Ideally the way the customs office and the customs officer define it is the same, and in the end you would probably prevail in court if it came to that. However immigration and customs officers have unbelievable latitude for creating trouble for you at the border, so in my experience it is best not to argue if you value your time at all, or god forbid have a connection to make. Just declare it and be done with it, they will tell you to just go if it is too much paperwork on their end at the moment.
Old Nov 1, 19, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by lakers6902 View Post
Just say your on your way to pay the IRS. They'll think you're a victim of a scam and send you on your way
Ha - I actually do use them to pay the IRS periodically. <1% net fees vs 1.87% for a credit card payment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: