RentCafe

Old Sep 21, 19, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase and American Express
RentCafe

Searched the forums and couldnt see anything. Moved to an apartment complex that uses rentcafe and charges 2.5 percent for credit cards. Anyone find a credit card thats worth it to use on rentcafe?
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:39 am

Maybe Discover IT miles 1st year. You get 3% (1.5 base and cashback match on 1 yr anniversary). You only net 0.5% and thatís after a year so you have to float 1% every month until then. Might be worth it or not depending on you.
Old Sep 23, 19, 11:25 am

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
This kind of deal is not going to be "worth it" in isolation. Even if you profit a few basis points on a limited basis, it's probably not worth the effort.

This can be useful, however, for making minimum spend on a card if you don't want to buy and liquidate gift cards.

Years ago my apartment complex had a service that allowed you to pay rent (up to $3000) with a fee of $29.95. Every time I got a new card I would use it to pay $3K on my rent (which was usually the required minimum spend) and then it would be something I didn't have to worry about. Even if it was a 1% CB card or a miles card, I was breaking even on the transaction and not worrying about spend to get the signup bonus.
Burton Codh likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase and American Express
yea i was only looking for a card i can transfer to some airline partners to get the best value but doesnt look like anything gives more than 1.5 unfortunately
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I doubt that you'll find a credit card that covers the entire fee unless you value the points/miles highly.

You should run the numbers on prepaid debit cards. You can regularly get them with reduced or no fee.
Old Sep 27, 19, 4:10 pm

Maybe AmEx Blue Business? 2% cashback which offsets all but .45% (2% of 1.025 = .0205) plus $250 bonus for $5k spend and $500 for another $10k ($15k total) spend. If your rent is about $1200/mo that would be an easy one to meet and doesn't count against your 5/24 status and you'll come out about $435 ahead.

If you are comfortable signing up for a new card every few months you could crush 3+ SUB a year with almost no effort. Start with Chase family (Ink if you can) due to 5/24.

Last edited by Burton Codh; Sep 27, 19 at 4:16 pm

Search this Thread