Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Best way to MS to meet bonus spend on AA biz card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:07 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Found myself with too many new cards to meet minimum spend on all of them, even with rent and pre-paying taxes, which are my usual go to's. I don't plan on jumping into MSing, but this time I think I do need to put 5k or so on a citi Aaadvantage biz card. I've done some reading here, but figured I might post a thread as I am looking for a one off solution --- not an ongoing MS set up. What is my best, and safest, bet? I am not near a Simon Mall unfortunately. Can I just buy Amex gift cards with a citi card? Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by smoaky
Found myself with too many new cards to meet minimum spend on all of them, even with rent and pre-paying taxes, which are my usual go to's. I don't plan on jumping into MSing, but this time I think I do need to put 5k or so on a citi Aaadvantage biz card. I've done some reading here, but figured I might post a thread as I am looking for a one off solution --- not an ongoing MS set up. What is my best, and safest, bet? I am not near a Simon Mall unfortunately. Can I just buy Amex gift cards with a citi card? Thanks.
This is my data point, so take it as it comes. However, I have tried numerous times to get my Citi card to work without success.

When I tried to use my Citi AA Exec card at SM, the charge was denied each and every time. It did not matter if it was for a single $500 card or more. Once the denial was issued, I had to call Citi's fraud line and get it cleared out. That only took a few minutes. However, at SM, once your card is denied, they will not let you use it again for 24 hours, so in effect that put my Citi card on ice for SM GC purchases.

I even tried to forewarn Citi and get approval for the purchase prior to swiping the card, and that did not work either.
Bottom line. Citi does not work for me at SM.
It might be different for you.
'
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:23 pm

Why not go with an online GC store (GCM or GCC)? Use Ebates or similar to offset most of the cost. Cash them in at WM.
I don’t know if Citi is sensitive to these vendors though.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:47 am

Online purchases with a Citi card are usually ok for any amount. Important: DO NOT ever test a new Citi card with a small amount purchase.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:14 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DBFL
Why not go with an online GC store (GCM or GCC)? Use Ebates or similar to offset most of the cost. Cash them in at WM.
So just show up at a WM and pay for a money order with a VGC or whatever, then deposit the MO? I know this is MS 101, but that seems pretty easy. I don't like the idea of money, and large amounts at that, being stuck on some gift card/money order, though.

What about buying an Amex Gift Card? Somehow seems more secure?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:15 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Online purchases with a Citi card are usually ok for any amount. Important: DO NOT ever test a new Citi card with a small amount purchase.
What do you mean by the last part? Small amount? Test?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:23 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Looks like MaxVO indicates they are not. But seems sort of risky. What about just sending a few grand to my partner via Venmo. Just once or twice the $2000 limit. Shut down? No plans to do it beyond this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:20 pm

So just show up at a WM and pay for a money order with a VGC or whatever, then deposit the MO? I know this is MS 101, but that seems pretty easy.
Yes, exactly like that. But with a VGC, not “whatever.”

Looks like MaxVO indicates they are not. But seems sort of risky. What about just sending a few grand to my partner via Venmo. Just once or twice the $2000 limit. Shut down? No plans to do it beyond this.
As I said, I don’t know what Citi will tolerate as I’ve not used a Citi card for MS.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

Yes, exactly like that. But with a VGC, not “whatever.”

As I said, I don’t know what Citi will tolerate as I’ve not used a Citi card for MS.
And do this with Venmo at your own peril. Venmo is quite sensitive to MSing and is well known to shut an account and take many months to refund the balance.

Maybe you like Zelle better, but I find Venmo is far more valuable as Venmo than as a vehicle for MSing (which it really isn't, BTW).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Why not? What's the definition of a small purchase? So if I buy a $1 item at McDonald's that would be problematic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.