Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Vanilla Visa 'not authorized' when trying to get MO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Apologies if this has been posted and gratitude if someone can point me to the thread if it has. But in case it hasn't - I have had issues with VVGC that I bought from the drugstore that I can usually liquidate at my friendly neighborhood grocery store. Have been doing this for years with friendly clerks with no issues. Last week when I tried to buy a MO for $500, the terminal showed "not authorized" - I called customer service who stated that the card was good to go with no holds. To make sure it wasn't a store specific issue, I tried a $300 GC from Office D and it worked just fine. The clerk was nice enough to let me try the $500 again but no bueno. Today I bought more VVGC from the drugstore and same thing "not authorized" on the pin pad. But to my surprise, 1 of the 4 cards from the other day worked fine!

Vanilla customer service keeps telling me there is nothing wrong, is anyone else having this problem? Thanks in advance
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: none
Happened to me one time, I didn't bother to call or check balance online, used for MO 2 days later, it went through. So it maybe system issue at thst specific time. No worry. Use it another day or spend on organic spending if has to.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:10 pm

Try $495 instead. Sometimes a single swipe max balance of card flags it. Use remaining on groceries next time in store.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:14 pm

I had that happen yesterday at Kroger when trying to auto drain. When they entered the $500 instead of auto drain, it went through fine.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:37 pm

I was trying to autodrain a 100 VGC from Metabank at Kroger yesterday (just the self-check) and it wasn't working. Haven't been back to try it or anything but I found it strange.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, I did it for $499 even and I didn't do auto drain. I am not sure which one was the cure but they all worked fine!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:06 pm

Anyone having trouble using OneVanilla MCs? I tried to use two different MCs today at two different non-WM grocery stores (WU agents) that usually eat them up like candy, but got "not authorized" for each transaction. No charge/hold when I checked balance online, each at original $500.

eta: Yes, original thread was for OV Visas, not OV MCs. ToMAYto, toMAAto.

Last edited by tuphat; Jan 1, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Anyone having trouble using OneVanilla MCs? I tried to use two different MCs today at two different non-WM grocery stores (WU agents) that usually eat them up like candy, but got "not authorized" for each transaction. No charge/hold when I checked balance online, each at original $500.

eta: Yes, original thread was for OV Visas, not OV MCs. ToMAYto, toMAAto.
which grocery stores did u attempt?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
which grocery stores did u attempt?
Kroger and Food Lion
bmustang likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:57 pm

Datapoint -- So I had another fail at using OV MCs, to purchase MO at a third grocery store chain that has worked perfectly w/ OVs in the past. So now I'm like a junkie with a contaminated stash (2x $500 cards). My plan is to liquidate ASAP, probably to fund Amazon gift account and write off the opportunity cost.

Will be interesting to see if other stores are hard-coding against OV like WM, or if this is one-off experience.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by tuphat
Datapoint -- So I had another fail at using OV MCs, to purchase MO at a third grocery store chain that has worked perfectly w/ OVs in the past. So now I'm like a junkie with a contaminated stash (2x $500 cards). My plan is to liquidate ASAP, probably to fund Amazon gift account and write off the opportunity cost.

Will be interesting to see if other stores are hard-coding against OV like WM, or if this is one-off experience.
See if you can just buy a MetaBank VGC with the OV at an Albertsons/Safeway store. I had the same issue with a Bancorp OV MCGC at every store I tried to use for debit, and swore them off in favor of the Meta Visas/MasterCards instead. I believe there were some DPs about these cards from people buying them at Sams (Bancorp vs InComm flavor Vanillas) and which ones consistently work for MOs and other debit purchases.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:38 pm

Interesting, I thought Vanilla vgc is long dead. Didn't know it still works to buy MO, will give it a try tomorrow.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by cchang4
Interesting, I thought Vanilla vgc is long dead. Didn't know it still works to buy MO, will give it a try tomorrow.
Long dead at WM, was very much alive elsewhere.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:47 pm
Suspended

TG, BAU, in NE this afternoon, so it must be certain chains besides Wally have put the kebish on them. Now to get another couple to finish off my Freedom promo
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by craz
TG, BAU, in NE this afternoon, so it must be certain chains besides Wally have put the kebish on them. Now to get another couple to finish off my Freedom promo
What's TG?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.