Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Point of depositing money orders through smartphone app?

Old May 8, 19, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

So after looking through the Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-2019) thread I noticed there in a lot YMMV. Each bank has different policies. The smartphone apps may mal-function. Different types of money orders may or may not work.

Is the primary motivation for using a smartphone app to deposit money orders purely convenience and avoid making a trip to bank? Avoid greater scrutiny that you would presumably be subject to if you went into the branch in person to deposit money order?
Old May 9, 19, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by PoEntre View Post
So after looking through the Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-2019) thread I noticed there in a lot YMMV. Each bank has different policies. The smartphone apps may mal-function. Different types of money orders may or may not work.

Is the primary motivation for using a smartphone app to deposit money orders purely convenience and avoid making a trip to bank? Avoid greater scrutiny that you would presumably be subject to if you went into the branch in person to deposit money order?
Because people are lazy, and places that allow MO may or may not be in someone's back yard. If you can put through a couple MO a day without seeing a human or a bank, it is an attractive option. (Assuming you're not Walmart banned already!)
TyPo311 likes this.
Old May 9, 19, 8:33 am

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PoEntre View Post

Yeah I think it's mostly for convenience. Personally I don't mess with phone deposits, the first time I did the deposit was rejected and I had to send the MO in via snail mail. There are plenty of banks around me that are relatively convenient so I feel like depositing via phone is an unnecessary risk.
Old May 9, 19, 12:42 pm

also, it may be your only way to make deposits if that particular bank does not have any branches in your state.
Old May 12, 19, 7:58 pm

I personally don't like depositing MOs online or via apps because I wouldn't like to keep track of the original MO document themselves in case issues arise. Having the MO stub as the receipt that has the MO number on it is sufficient to me and if any issues arise with the MO document it would be the responsibility of the bank branch. I already keep too many MS artifacts in many shoe boxes so there is no need to add more clutter. I much prefer the in-person presence of depositing MOs.
compddd likes this.
Old May 13, 19, 12:45 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
I personally don't like depositing MOs online or via apps because I wouldn't like to keep track of the original MO document themselves in case issues arise. Having the MO stub as the receipt that has the MO number on it is sufficient to me and if any issues arise with the MO document it would be the responsibility of the bank branch. I already keep too many MS artifacts in many shoe boxes so there is no need to add more clutter. I much prefer the in-person presence of depositing MOs.
The image of the MO is accessible as soon as the deposit is accepted at least for the two banks I do this with. I'm more confident in an electronic trail that I can access immediately than relying on a bank branch to sort things out in case of teller error. I keep MO's, GC, and all receipts for about 14 days and then shred everything and have never had a problem.e
Old May 15, 19, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
The image of the MO is accessible as soon as the deposit is accepted at least for the two banks I do this with. I'm more confident in an electronic trail that I can access immediately than relying on a bank branch to sort things out in case of teller error. I keep MO's, GC, and all receipts for about 14 days and then shred everything and have never had a problem.e
The image of the MO is also scanned and provided on my online banking account so I can see the document. I just don't like the idea of shredding MOs or have to keep them for repository purposes.
Old May 19, 19, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
just know ur banks archive policies coz some archive electronic quite quickly and to access them can become quite burdensome or costly. I have a bank that sends everything to microfiche after 3 years and only one location to access the records. Iím sure this is the exception but it does happen. Create ur own digital path if you want the records longer.
Old Sep 2, 19, 7:17 pm

This looks like an appropriate spot to continue the discussion... please provide a link if there are related threads.

Seeking a digital bank where you can either/or:
1) deposit MO's. (higher the limits the better) - pay bills
2) skipping the MO all together and topping off balances w/VGC

Walmart has been drying up and our last options are nearly extinct. Not into micolending (kiva) and seeking alternative pathways. Looking for a 2019 version of the old Amex Bluebird.
Joonydell likes this.

Search this Thread