Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid gift card for recurring charge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Prepaid gift card for recurring charge

I recently discovered that my landlord waives the transaction fee for lease payments with debit cards, but only if set up as a recurring charge. My plan was to buy $500 VGCs every month and cancel the auto-payments after one transaction on each card. Blackhawk/metabank denied the transaction because they say prepaid gift cards can't be used for recurring transactions. Are there any other brands of VGC/MCGC that won't deny recurring charges?

If not, I'm OK eating the transaction fee once, but then I'd need a way to combine the balance of several VGCs so I can process only one payment and I haven't heard of a way to do that.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by mroseman13
I recently discovered that my landlord waives the transaction fee for lease payments with debit cards, but only if set up as a recurring charge. My plan was to buy $500 VGCs every month and cancel the auto-payments after one transaction on each card. Blackhawk/metabank denied the transaction because they say prepaid gift cards can't be used for recurring transactions. Are there any other brands of VGC/MCGC that won't deny recurring charges?

If not, I'm OK eating the transaction fee once, but then I'd need a way to combine the balance of several VGCs so I can process only one payment and I haven't heard of a way to do that.
This isn't quite MS'ing in the tradition sense, but
If you already have a demand account (traditional checking or even BB) that will permit your landlord to access it, then why don't you simply set up a recurring charge on the demand account for your rent and fund that account with MO's obtained from your VGCs?.
It does require one extra step (buying a MO using the VGC and depositing it into the demand account) but otherwise will permit you to pay your landlord and still use a CC to get your points.
It only cost one MO more than if you could do what you wanted, which I do not believe you can with VGCs.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1
This isn't quite MS'ing in the tradition sense, but
If you already have a demand account (traditional checking or even BB) that will permit your landlord to access it, then why don't you simply set up a recurring charge on the demand account for your rent and fund that account with MO's obtained from your VGCs?.
It does require one extra step (buying a MO using the VGC and depositing it into the demand account) but otherwise will permit you to pay your landlord and still use a CC to get your points.
It only cost one MO more than if you could do what you wanted, which I do not believe you can with VGCs.
I haven't yet ventured into more traditional MSing with MOs; I was hoping to avoid the extra steps (and eyes on my activities) required there. Usually I purchase VGCs to top up the bonus categories on my CC and use them for everyday spend. I guess if there isn't any other way I can read up on various MO purchasing options and the recommended demand accounts these days.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:31 am

Maybe check out the prepaid cards at CVS or similar? See if any can be loaded at walmart or FD/DG similar to serve loads.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:29 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I haven't yet ventured into more traditional MSing with MOs; I was hoping to avoid the extra steps (and eyes on my activities) required there. Usually I purchase VGCs to top up the bonus categories on my CC and use them for everyday spend. I guess if there isn't any other way I can read up on various MO purchasing options and the recommended demand accounts these days.
Can't you just pay your landlord with the money orders?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by bigshooter
Can't you just pay your landlord with the money orders?
Many landlords will not take MOs. For example, my daughter's LL refused to accept MOs, and only took checks (or cash).
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:53 pm

Many landlords will not take MOs. For example, my daughter's LL refused to accept MOs, and only took checks (or cash).
Crazy that a landlord would take a check, but not a money order.
bigshooter likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by camaross
Crazy that a landlord would take a check, but not a money order.
Why not just barter sex like in the movie Kingpin.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:34 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Renting a house from a individual or is this an apartment? Funny that they'd take a check that they probably can't guarantee funds on, but not a MO that is 100% guaranteed.

And what kind of proprety accepts cash??? Sounds like a place waiting to get robbed on the last of the month.
camaross likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Nice reviving my old thread Payment is through an online portal, so no MOs, checks, or even cash accepted. It's a ~$7 fee per debit card payment, since the fee-waived recurring charge will get declined by the GC issuer. Simon Mall GCs half the number of debit payments needed. $0.88 is cheaper than $7 (if you weren't aware), it's just a bit of a drive to get to a friendly WM which I've visited a few times since starting the thread. With a 2% back card, I'd still be up ~$9 per $1k of rent without visiting a WM. It's better than an ACH from my checking account, I was just hoping there was a magical GC on the shelves that would work.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:46 pm
ogg

Nice reviving my old thread Payment is through an online portal, so no MOs, checks, or even cash accepted. It's a ~$7 fee per debit card payment, since the fee-waived recurring charge will get declined by the GC issuer. Simon Mall GCs half the number of debit payments needed. $0.88 is cheaper than $7 (if you weren't aware), it's just a bit of a drive to get to a friendly WM which I've visited a few times since starting the thread. With a 2% back card, I'd still be up ~$9 per $1k of rent without visiting a WM. It's better than an ACH from my checking account, I was just hoping there was a magical GC on the shelves that would work.
Get a reloadable prepaid card like GoBank/Serve/BlueBird. Load that card with your Simon prepaids, then do recurring payments from it.
ccna101 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:49 pm

How much for CC payment?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigshooter
How much for CC payment?
3.6%. So only good in the emergency case where I need to hit minimum spend and my normal methods don't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.