Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you banned at Wal-Mart?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
I did 3 back to back yesterday in different transcations. First 999.11 no problem, second 799.12 no problem, third 999.11 required ID. It was 3 in a row. It was at a neighborhood store which i normally don't go to. I also did 3 later that day at a non neighborhood store without an issue (all <1K). Doubt there is any interpretation from this. Just a DP.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:36 am
ogg

Originally Posted by fulthrust7
I did 3 back to back yesterday in different transcations. First 999.11 no problem, second 799.12 no problem, third 999.11 required ID. It was 3 in a row. It was at a neighborhood store which i normally don't go to. I also did 3 later that day at a non neighborhood store without an issue (all <1K). Doubt there is any interpretation from this. Just a DP.
That's just a random ID check--it has nothing to do with the banning described in this thread.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ogg
People get banned who have never done a money order transaction that requires an SSN. I've been banned. Now that I think about it, I have done several transactions over $7K (using a real bank debit card but always use my real SSN.

BTW, I was going to say that using a fake SSN is illegal, but possibly it isn't illegal under this circumstance when requested by a WM CSR. You're not submitting an official form to the government. It's only a Walmart request. SSNs are not supposed to be used for ID anyway. Still, illegal or not, it's certainly not advisable.
You don't have to provide SSN for amounts over $3k. You can choose to provide a second ID (ie passport) instead.

I had a friendly CSR get to that point in the typing and say "So, what's your second form of verification" (or something similar). She said I can give my passport or do SSN. I didn't have passport with me (and never brought it since) but there seemingly are other options.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:40 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by danpeake
You don't have to provide SSN for amounts over $3k. You can choose to provide a second ID (ie passport) instead.

I had a friendly CSR get to that point in the typing and say "So, what's your second form of verification" (or something similar). She said I can give my passport or do SSN. I didn't have passport with me (and never brought it since) but there seemingly are other options.
Interesting. I never heard of that before. Of course, if you're banned you never get to this point--your money order request is rejected when you put in the first ID.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by redtop43
I tried to do a MG bill payment today. I did it off the WM app, it's something I do once a month, sending $100 to a friend in prison. Declined. Seems like the MG ban is systemwide, not just MOs.

I was completely shut down by Moneygram a couple of years ago. Closed my regular moneygram account that was used only online directly with MG. Was sending only 50 or $100 a couple of times a year so that’s not how I got shut down. I believe it was due to using money gram BP at WM to pay my AMEX bills. But WM did not shut me down and I have continued to use MG BP at WM.

Last edited by worldtravels; Oct 2, 2019 at 3:40 am
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by worldtravels

I was completely shut down by Moneygram a couple of years ago. Closed my regular moneygram account that was used only online directly with MG. Was sending only 50 or $100 a couple of times a year so that’s not how I got shut down. I believe it was due to using money gram BP at WM to pay my AMEX bills. But WM did not shut me down and I have continued to use MG BP at WM.
I think that we are still baffled by the mechanics of the shutdown.

We don't know why people are canned or who is even doing the canning.

I suspect that it is big hitters, i.e. those who either BP in the high 4 dgit or low 5 digit range or who buy large (again high 4 or low 5 dtrigit range) amounts of MOs. Those people have to use ID for their purchase and are well out of the normal range of money that usual MG users request. But there are DPs out there of people being shut down for seemingly trivial amounts of MO business.

On a hypothetical opinion (my own ), I think that the SM $1000 VGCs has made it more apparent to MG what is going on and who is doing it. There are probably many neophytes out there buying 5 to 10 cards and trying to convert them to MOs. More IDs being taken and MG getting more DPs on what exactly MSing is and how it is affecting their business. SM is (IMO) not doing us any favors with the new VGC denominations.

It has the faint whiff of the USPS MOs prior to the shut down.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by radonc1
From DPs I have been reading, some are saying that the block is coming from MG.

it would be very helpful to know if people who cannot purchase MG MOs from WM have experienced the same problem when buying a MG MO from another vendor.

That would mean that even using cash, you are banned.

This would be important to know.
Si muchachos. Yo tambien! Not so much when I am stationed in gringolandia oeste I use WM and cash out but now I find the same problem. My volume is not special perhaps 2K three or four times in the week. For years I have a usual spot where they likes Reina and help me but even here I am blocked now. I do not quit but sure it is more difficult now.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by worldtravels

We’re you paying a mg or cfp payee??
Old Oct 5, 2019, 7:15 pm

Pardon this newbie question, but may I use a VGC to pay a bill at MG? Can this transaction be done online so that I do not have to go to a MG store? What are their typical fees for a $200 bill?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Chelski
We’re you paying a mg or cfp payee??
Only regular MG to individuals, small dollar amounts in regular MG account , not a WM account. No check free pay online. For a couple of month period, I did quite a few max MG BP at WM because of need for high spend. Thats when MG closed my personal account directly with them. Couldn't even log in. Called in and told it was closed.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I think that we are still baffled by the mechanics of the shutdown.
After asking a WM employee to purchase another <1k MO, and telling him he can see my ID but I don't want my personal info to be stored in some DB, he told me he can't do it due to regulations, and warned me that if I get caught trying to buy more MO's by jumping stores, I'll get banned. That made me think that maybe that's the reason at least some people got banned. That also would explain why there's no obvious pattern to these bans. Lots of folks jump through stores, but it would take some special circumstances why MG or WM would decide to actually check/track somebody specific, which is not difficult, even if it happens accidently.

Also curious to know from anybody who got shut down if they ever went over the daily limit ex post facto: purchase 8k with ID, but later purchase separate <1k MO's in a different WM (which doesn't require ID during the actual transaction) but provided ID after that because employee asked for it since the total was over 1k in different transactions. I asked for an explanation why they need an ID since MG doesn't require one because a transaction is <1k, and was told that WM can still tag your info to provide to MG if you buy in multiples transactions totaling >1k. I would think this might be an issue only if you go over 8k in total, and there are reports of bans from doing low numbers, so not sure, but still something to keep in mind.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by DjRocket
After asking a WM employee to purchase another <1k MO, and telling him he can see my ID but I don't want my personal info to be stored in some DB, he told me he can't do it due to regulations, and warned me that if I get caught trying to buy more MO's by jumping stores, I'll get banned. That made me think that maybe that's the reason at least some people got banned. That also would explain why there's no obvious pattern to these bans. Lots of folks jump through stores, but it would take some special circumstances why MG or WM would decide to actually check/track somebody specific, which is not difficult, even if it happens accidently.

Also curious to know from anybody who got shut down if they ever went over the daily limit ex post facto: purchase 8k with ID, but later purchase separate <1k MO's in a different WM (which doesn't require ID during the actual transaction) but provided ID after that because employee asked for it since the total was over 1k in different transactions. I asked for an explanation why they need an ID since MG doesn't require one because a transaction is <1k, and was told that WM can still tag your info to provide to MG if you buy in multiples transactions totaling >1k. I would think this might be an issue only if you go over 8k in total, and there are reports of bans from doing low numbers, so not sure, but still something to keep in mind.
It’s not mg rule. It’s wm rule. Kys and kyc
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
It’s not mg rule. It’s wm rule. Kys and kyc
which rule are you referring to? the ID rule is mg rule, not wm. The wm can tag your ID with the transaction to mg if they want, even on transactions <1k, but whether it's their rule or not doesn't matter here. And the wm employee wasn't clear on who's going to ban you, mg or wm. He seemed to be informed of the MS activities (beyond what happens just at wm), so it's not clear whether he meant a ban by mg or wm. I assumed he meant the former, but in the hindsight, should have asked to clarify.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:07 am

Am I missing something? If a CSR were to ask me for an ID for a transaction, I'd say "Sorry, I don't have one, I guess we have to cancel the transaction" and end it right there. None of the WMs have my id and none ever will. I have no problem avoiding a particular WM for 6 months to let them forget me.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:50 am
ogg

Originally Posted by Car Jack
Am I missing something? If a CSR were to ask me for an ID for a transaction, I'd say "Sorry, I don't have one, I guess we have to cancel the transaction" and end it right there. None of the WMs have my id and none ever will. I have no problem avoiding a particular WM for 6 months to let them forget me.
Am I missing something? Why do you avoid showing your ID?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.