Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you banned at Wal-Mart?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Car Jack
I sorta don't get this. I have never been ID'd but I only do MOs now and then when Stop & Shop is doing VGC promos with gas points. If a CSR were to ask me for an ID, I'd cancel the transaction and leave. I only do MO's for under $1k and only one at a time.
OK, but unrelated to topic.
cuthroat and BLoch12 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danpeake
Mine does for any split tender. They definitely have the option to take ID sub $1,000 if they want.
the ID prompt happens before you start swiping - how would split tender have anything to do with it?
farwest101 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Today I went to a WM I haven't been to in years, bought a $995.17 (I buy my SM cards for $996.05) without incident. Went to my secondary and tried for $999.12 (2x500) and was asked for ID. Suggested we try $998.12 and was still asked. Said I didn't have my ID. CSR showed it to me on the terminal. Went to my primary WM and was able to do both $995.17 and $999.12.

I haven't tried to do over $1K since my first fail. I'll try next week.

Clearly this will slow me down, but at least at this point won't stop me, and of course the BP's are still my primary source of recycling GC's.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by beast7276
the ID prompt happens before you start swiping - how would split tender have anything to do with it?
Well, they know me and know I'll be doing split tender. For others, I think they're pretty adept at telling.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
Today I went to a WM I haven't been to in years, bought a $995.17 (I buy my SM cards for $996.05) without incident. Went to my secondary and tried for $999.12 (2x500) and was asked for ID. Suggested we try $998.12 and was still asked. Said I didn't have my ID. CSR showed it to me on the terminal. Went to my primary WM and was able to do both $995.17 and $999.12.

I haven't tried to do over $1K since my first fail. I'll try next week.

Clearly this will slow me down, but at least at this point won't stop me, and of course the BP's are still my primary source of recycling GC's.
So at the secondary WM, did you end up getting a MO for $998.12 or did they deny you? Would be curious if people will be ID unbanned over time but WM will be putting a hidden cap per month to prevent huge numbers by ID.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
So at the secondary WM, did you end up getting a MO for $998.12 or did they deny you? Would be curious if people will be ID unbanned over time but WM will be putting a hidden cap per month to prevent huge numbers by ID.
When they asked for ID for $998.12, I just walked out. Told them I didn't bring my ID. Back at Old Faithful today, they asked for ID for $999.12 and $998.12. I'm not sure what's going on, although today the CSR was one I'm not especially familiar with, and he seemed to type a bunch of stuff in before starting to enter the MO sale. Tomorrow is my first day for BP since the MO shutdown. Obviously, I'd just like to know what the rules are. I can't figure out why they ask for ID one place and not another, or one CSR and not another. I will probably try for $749.12. I haven't sensed any hostility from anyone at my primary in years. (Back in the days when they had the MO machines, one of the CSM's shut me down one night, and shortly after that the machine was removed.) I have two more days, then I go away for 5 days.

It will be interesting to see how, if at all, SM responds. Stop selling $1k's? Start selling MOs?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

It will be interesting to see how, if at all, SM responds. Stop selling $1k's? Start selling MOs?
I still don't know who is running the banning show. Obviously WM is the primary focus, but is it WM that initiated it or was it MG? Who makes the ban decision??

In all honesty, I have only once been asked for ID when doing $800 MOs (4x$200) and paying for the MO with cash.
However, I only do 1 at a time per visit (and never $1000), vary my WM locations for each MO purchase, and I am small fish (4-6K/month).

I live in fly-over country where anything over $1000 is a BIG deal to most people.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:25 pm

I tried to do a MG bill payment today. I did it off the WM app, it's something I do once a month, sending $100 to a friend in prison. Declined. Seems like the MG ban is systemwide, not just MOs.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I tried to do a MG bill payment today. I did it off the WM app, it's something I do once a month, sending $100 to a friend in prison. Declined. Seems like the MG ban is systemwide, not just MOs.
Can you send a MG MO not via WM but from somewhere else?

Or are you banned ? That would answer the question as to who is doing the banning
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Can you send a MG MO not via WM but from somewhere else?

Or are you banned ? That would answer the question as to who is doing the banning
I haven't tried from another location. I"m going to try again from WM tomorrow. I did it off the app on my phone, and I'm pretty sure that has my DL. I'm not sure if when I do it "over the counter" I have to give ID. I don't think I do, but my memory can be bad.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Car Jack
I sorta don't get this. I have never been ID'd but I only do MOs now and then when Stop & Shop is doing VGC promos with gas points. If a CSR were to ask me for an ID, I'd cancel the transaction and leave. I only do MO's for under $1k and only one at a time.
There’s nothing more suspicious than. Running away
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:14 am

Not banned yet. Something else to consider is how the MO's are being used. Are they being filled out correctly? Are you making them out to yourself?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:21 am

Question for those who have been banned. When purchasing $4k in one transaction, were you entering your real SSN or "accidentally" fat-fingering it?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:36 am

I haven't tried from another location. I"m going to try again from WM tomorrow. I did it off the app on my phone, and I'm pretty sure that has my DL. I'm not sure if when I do it "over the counter" I have to give ID. I don't think I do, but my memory can be bad.
A test also be if you do a CFP using the phone number method (not via the app) for > $3k. When you do these, they take your drivers license and social.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:44 am
ogg

Originally Posted by knopfler
Question for those who have been banned. When purchasing $4k in one transaction, were you entering your real SSN or "accidentally" fat-fingering it?
People get banned who have never done a money order transaction that requires an SSN. I've been banned. Now that I think about it, I have done several transactions over $7K (using a real bank debit card but always use my real SSN.

BTW, I was going to say that using a fake SSN is illegal, but possibly it isn't illegal under this circumstance when requested by a WM CSR. You're not submitting an official form to the government. It's only a Walmart request. SSNs are not supposed to be used for ID anyway. Still, illegal or not, it's certainly not advisable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.