Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you banned at Wal-Mart?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2022, 2:32 pm

Likely got the banhammer at a local WM I frequent. I only do about $2k at a time with my ID two times a week or so. Rep put in my ID yesterday and as soon as I confirmed the MO amounts, it said unable to process. This is pretty low volume compared to some others and I've been doing it for some time now so not sure what changed in their systems.
BWItraveller and Carrisco like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM) | Hertz President's Circle
What type of MOs? MG or WU? (I'm assuming MG based on others experiencing similar issues...)

-b.

Originally Posted by teetertotterboy
Likely got the banhammer at a local WM I frequent. I only do about $2k at a time with my ID two times a week or so. Rep put in my ID yesterday and as soon as I confirmed the MO amounts, it said unable to process. This is pretty low volume compared to some others and I've been doing it for some time now so not sure what changed in their systems.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Carrisco
What type of MOs? MG or WU? (I'm assuming MG based on others experiencing similar issues...)

-b.
Yes, it was MG.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:09 pm

DP: Had success today with 2 $999 MOs in one transaction by using my passport for ID to get around the MG ban.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:14 pm

The more DPs we get on this, it's looking more and more like an MG ban as you state below, and not a WM ban...

As I remember with the WM bans, you wouldn't get as far as to verify the amounts of the MOs because it would deny you as soon as the ID information was entered... I believe after the amounts are confirmed, the information is passed over to MG and that's when the ban hammer is smacking down and stopping the show.

-b.

Originally Posted by Chasepoints
DP: Had success today with 2 $999 MOs in one transaction by using my passport for ID to get around the MG ban.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Carrisco
The more DPs we get on this, it's looking more and more like an MG ban as you state below, and not a WM ban...

As I remember with the WM bans, you wouldn't get as far as to verify the amounts of the MOs because it would deny you as soon as the ID information was entered... I believe after the amounts are confirmed, the information is passed over to MG and that's when the ban hammer is smacking down and stopping the show.

-b.
This may be the reason that WM switched from MG to WU.

This is pure speculation but....
Perhaps WU has better methods of detecting ML than MG did. It may even be that WM got into trouble with the government because of this and rather than create a method of policing MO issuance, they just decided to turn the whole thing over to the provider of MOs, Thus, the switch from MG to WU.

With WM, it's always about cost to them
Carrisco likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Sometimes the easiest explanation is the correct one. I imagine WM's costs are lower with WM vs MG.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danpeake
Sometimes the easiest explanation is the correct one. I imagine WM's costs are lower with WM vs MG.
Yup
Better security and lower costs. A winning combination for WM
danpeake likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:46 am

I know in the case of my local WM, the MG printer is offline more than it's online. If it's like this at other locations, that might have something to do with it as well.

As far as profit, at the end of the day, I think both WM and MG/WU would gladly take in as much profit as possible as long as they are (at least appearing to) follow/following federal ML preventive guidelines...

-b.

This may be the reason that WM switched from MG to WU.

This is pure speculation but....
Perhaps WU has better methods of detecting ML than MG did. It may even be that WM got into trouble with the government because of this and rather than create a method of policing MO issuance, they just decided to turn the whole thing over to the provider of MOs, Thus, the switch from MG to WU.

Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:56 pm

deleted

Last edited by ufly1; Jul 17, 2022 at 12:57 pm Reason: solved
Old Oct 19, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Was only doing about 10k per month in money orders at Wally because I do almost all of mine at groceries stores. Am now blocked with DL at all wallys for MG and WU with DL. Not sure about CFBP yet. Will be testing that soon.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Was only doing about 10k per month in money orders at Wally because I do almost all of mine at groceries stores. Am now blocked with DL at all wallys for MG and WU with DL. Not sure about CFBP yet. Will be testing that soon.
I have always wondered about this. If the block were at the WM level, then you should be able to buy MOs at grocers and other places that sell them.
Can you purchase a MO at a grocer without being blocked?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: All of them
I have always wondered about this. If the block were at the WM level, then you should be able to buy MOs at grocers and other places that sell them.
Can you purchase a MO at a grocer without being blocked?
My regional grocer who sells WU MOs doesn't check ID until you get into $3k+ range.

Someone else posted earlier that they got MG MOs to ring up at CVS with ID check, even after being banned for MG MOs at WM.

It's definitely WM-level shenanigans, and passports are a good workaround.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:48 am

how does the passport work? why won't it be banned as DL?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by liw5215
how does the passport work? why won't it be banned as DL?
You show the passport, and some WM cashiers also ask to see some document that shows your address, so you can just show the car insurance ID card.

no idea why it's not banned, or if it's ban-proof, but it worked just fine to get around any existing bans on MO and Billpays.
cuthroat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.