Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you banned at Wal-Mart?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Originally Posted by Huzordaddy
I was buying 2k or 4k of MOs almost every day until early March when I stopped MSing due to COVID-19 stay-at-home orders. When I ventured out again in June, I found I had been banned in the interim.
same thing happened to me as well. all other MS'ers in our area were banned before covid and for some reason I survived.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rambo
same thing happened to me as well. all other MS'ers in our area were banned before covid and for some reason I survived.
Several data points I have collected indicate after one or more SARs were reported by WM associates on a MSer, the ban will occur within weeks (not immediately.)
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy100
Several data points I have collected indicate after one or more SARs were reported by WM associates on a MSer, the ban will occur within weeks (not immediately.)
So all those bans really happened before the lockdown, and folks just didn't get to find out right away?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:16 pm

Does the above mean i am banned ? I am getting this msg whenever i tried to pay Amex thru MG for bill payment. Able to proceed for other card types visa/mc thru CFP...

Not getting this message in 2nd account and was able to pay amex in that
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu

Does the above mean i am banned ? I am getting this msg whenever i tried to pay Amex thru MG for bill payment. Able to proceed for other card types visa/mc thru CFP...

I would be an interesting experiment. I never tried the BP feature in the app using MG (only CFBP).
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:54 am

my DL got banned on buying MO's and MG BP. but on WM BP, only WM associate can see on their screen, the BP can't go through, from the app on my side, I can't see anything wrong.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
So all those bans really happened before the lockdown, and folks just didn't get to find out right away?
my several datapoints showed after one or more SARs, MSers can still buy MOs for days or weeks, then banned. so from submitting SARs and banning, there is a period of time during which you can either buy MOs or don't buy MOs, doesn't matter.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by ogg
Interesting. I never heard of that before. Of course, if you're banned you never get to this point--your money order request is rejected when you put in the first ID.
I had the opposite experience today. I was asked to put in SSN for a 4k transaction and only then was told that they would be unable to finish the transaction. For context, I was consistently going in at least three times a week doing 4k up until 3 weeks ago when I took some time off. First time back and Im seemingly banned. Or is this something different since I got to the SSN step?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by chasingadvnture
I had the opposite experience today. I was asked to put in SSN for a 4k transaction and only then was told that they would be unable to finish the transaction. For context, I was consistently going in at least three times a week doing 4k up until 3 weeks ago when I took some time off. First time back and Im seemingly banned. Or is this something different since I got to the SSN step?
The block notice comes after your SSN if I remember correctly.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
The block notice comes after your SSN if I remember correctly.
Has anyone had luck not entering their SSN and being able to move forward with the transaction (ie don't go over 3k)? Or has anyone tried different form of ID, new DL, or just waiting it out and seeing if the ban is temporary?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:48 pm

Has anyone had luck not entering their SSN and being able to move forward with the transaction (ie don't go over 3k)? Or has anyone tried different form of ID, new DL, or just waiting it out and seeing if the ban is temporary?
Pre-Covid-Lockdown, in a 5-month span, I was banned on my DL first, then US Passport Card, then US Passport. (Except for a few times doing $4K with my DL, I was always doing $3K per trip - probably 3-4 days per week.) / Money Orders only -- WM BP via app is fine, thus far.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 6:28 am

If you're banned, you'll still get banned if doing less than $3k. You're only option is under $1k and a willing CSR (they can still force the register to ask for ID on any amount).
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:58 pm

I got the same error when trying to do CFBP to auto loan, maybe its just a temporary glitch. First time ever using CFPB and have not CFPB'd in probably at least 5 years when I was doing heavy volume. Dont MS at walmart anymore in years but incidentally was there last week and bought 2k of mo's and went through fine after scanning ID. I was a heavy hitter before the limits were in pre 2015 but if i was banned i would have known from last week when I bought some mo's.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by economyfly
I got the same error when trying to do CFBP to auto loan, maybe its just a temporary glitch. First time ever using CFPB and have not CFPB'd in probably at least 5 years when I was doing heavy volume. Dont MS at walmart anymore in years but incidentally was there last week and bought 2k of mo's and went through fine after scanning ID. I was a heavy hitter before the limits were in pre 2015 but if i was banned i would have known from last week when I bought some mo's.
I guess the easiest way to find out is by trying to buy a MO with your ID. If you can, you're ok.

I would just do it at some store that you don't frequent regularly because you still should be able to buy <$1000 MO's without ID and the last thing that I would want is to have my regular store know that I had not been able to purchase a MO with an ID. Just saying
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by gm9928
Pre-Covid-Lockdown, in a 5-month span, I was banned on my DL first, then US Passport Card, then US Passport. (Except for a few times doing $4K with my DL, I was always doing $3K per trip - probably 3-4 days per week.) / Money Orders only -- WM BP via app is fine, thus far.
Hey, do you knowknow if the address matters at all? I got banned on my DL. Have been using my passport card for roughly 5k-10k/month. After my DL ban, I started using a biz address and that has worked with my passport card. I've since moved and updated my DL. Any idea if I can use my DL with the new address?

The reason I ask is because one clueless manager told me that I could not use a bill address with my passport card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.