How are you all MSing chase business ink cash 5x?

Old Feb 21, 19, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

How are you all MSing chase business ink cash 5x?

Staples and office depot only have $200 gift cards with a $6.95 fee each... that seems pointless, considering you can just go to walmart with chase freedom 1.5x and get $500 gift cards for $4.94 each and come out with the same number of points per dollar spent... So, how exactly do you MS the business card to get the 5x and not have to spend too much on MS costs? Any online tricks?
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:32 pm

Wait for the periodic OM/OD/Staples sales and promotions.
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:45 pm

What Steve said. About once a month, they'll have a sale where they waive the gift card fee, or give you $15 off for buying $300
Old Feb 21, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
What Steve said. About once a month, they'll have a sale where they waive the gift card fee, or give you $15 off for buying $300
And dont forget the occasional sales glitches where you can buy $400 of vgc for $325. I prefer those.
tygran37 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 7:53 pm

Directing my real spend through gift cards available at Staples and Office Depot. For example:

Groceries - Buying gift cards for Wholefoods and Safeway in the amount of my anticipated spend.
Amazon
Uber
Old Feb 21, 19, 9:14 pm

I rarely buy uber GC now. You can get 5% discount from Uber in the Uber APP and use a card with 3x-5x reward.
Old Feb 21, 19, 9:57 pm

My favorite was when $20 off $180+ of happys, free Google home mini for $180+, and $25 BBB GC for buying an mcgc all overlapped. Everyone got Google home minis for Christmas this year and we kept 4 back for ourselves.

Edit: also got ourselves a free wine aerator with BBB money to spare.
Old Feb 22, 19, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by NeGourmand View Post

And dont forget the occasional sales glitches where you can buy $400 of vgc for $325. I prefer those.
They have fixed this in the 10 or so stores I've frequented since the 2 promos where this was going on.
Old Feb 22, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
OD sells Lowes HD, Amazon GC, and many more no charge, and you still receive 5X,
Old Feb 22, 19, 12:19 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by casterpix343 View Post
Directing my real spend through gift cards available at Staples and Office Depot.....
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
OD sells Lowes HD, Amazon GC, and many more no charge, and you still receive 5X,
I do similar things, but they are category shifting rather than manufactured spending. It's a fine way to earn bonus points, but it doesn't recycle your money to pay the card bill.
jsl_313 and bbriscoe34 like this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:08 pm

Assuming that the tail part of your manufactured spending process isn't trivially infinitely scalable at whatever time and money cost that part of the process incurs, it then matters if manufacturing spending results in 4x bonus points per dollar spent (as with office supply store purchases of Visa/MC gift cards with 5x total points using Chase Ink variant) versus only 0.5x bonus points per dollar spent (as with Freedom 1.5x total points anywhere). I prefer more total points earned per thousand dollars fed through this process for the same time/money cost of the tail part of my manufactured spending process.
amazingjames likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I have rental properties, so we exceed the limits on 3 INK Cards,

my money comes back to me,

Every rent check is like a SS Check, and we even get s raise about every year.,

I agree, the GC MO Game is nice, but nothing like the Mint..

Loved the MINT..
Old Mar 1, 19, 6:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; IHG Platinum; Marriott Platinum; Free agent on airlines
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I do similar things, but they are category shifting rather than manufactured spending. It's a fine way to earn bonus points, but it doesn't recycle your money to pay the card bill.
You have to way whether or not you get a category bonus from other cards to determine if it's worth it. For example, if you will get 4.5 Amex points from the Everyday Preferred (assuming you make 30 purchase), it may not be worth it to buy grocery gift cards so that you can maximize the Ink Cash in other ways.

I also charge my Internet bill to this card.
Old Mar 1, 19, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by stormpelt View Post
Staples and office depot only have $200 gift cards with a $6.95 fee each... that seems pointless, considering you can just go to walmart with chase freedom 1.5x and get $500 gift cards for $4.94 each and come out with the same number of points per dollar spent... So, how exactly do you MS the business card to get the 5x and not have to spend too much on MS costs? Any online tricks?
5% of $206.95 is 10.35. 1.5% of 504.94 is 7.57. Probably missing something simple but I'm trying to understand how this could come out to the same number of points per dollar spent.
Old Mar 1, 19, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by hankindooby View Post
5% of $206.95 is 10.35. 1.5% of 504.94 is 7.57. Probably missing something simple but I'm trying to understand how this could come out to the same number of points per dollar spent.
You are missing the "per dollar spent" part.

Search this Thread