MS in Spain and/or EU

Old Feb 18, 19, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

MS in Spain and/or EU

Hi All,

Is anyone doing MS from Spain or the EU? I am looking to see what can be done from Spain with either US or Spanish CCs.

Any thoughts, suggestions, forums are appreciated.

Thx.
Old Feb 19, 19, 9:50 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Dated discussion here may give you some ideas, even though specifics likely different:

Manufactured spend in Continent Europe
Old Feb 19, 19, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Dated discussion here may give you some ideas, even though specifics likely different:

Manufactured spend in Continent Europe
Thanks Mia. I see a bit of back and forth and some thoughts but nothing too specific (as well as arguments about the UK vs Europe, which are likely more relevant now than then! ).

I will throw out a bone, and see if anyone bites....
  • Correo-prepaid
  • Transferwise Borderless
  • Revolut
  • ???
Oh.... and I am open to US CC spend, liquidating into Euro...

Last edited by Lennys26v2; Feb 19, 19 at 1:29 pm
Old Mar 26, 19, 5:09 pm

Revolut seems like a good option in theory. Did you try it ? Transferwise and Correo-prepaid would probably work as well, but they are not free. At least in France, I see several other ways to send money for free. In theory, one could MS an unlimited amount of miles for free, but I wonder how much they would let you do before closing your account or closing your credit card.
And won't your bank ask questions if you suddenly have transactions for several thousands of € each month ? Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Old Mar 28, 19, 9:38 am
Original Poster

@Katzz - Loading Citi or Chase to Revolut comes up as a cash advance, and AMEX is not allowed. Transferwise Borderless has also hit me with cash advance fees. So far, my luck with Correo-prepaid has been "cash loading only".

Banks are part of the puzzle, but my expectation is to get the money back to the US (to pay the MS spend) using Transferwise or similar. That is what completes the circle.
Old Mar 28, 19, 3:52 pm
inY

Originally Posted by Lennys26v2 View Post
@Katzz - Loading Citi or Chase to Revolut comes up as a cash advance
This directly contradicts my experience: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30217810-post23.html . Revolut's MCC is 6012 and has not changed.

Are you using a mobile wallet to load to Revolut like Google Pay? Then the MCC is 4829.
Old Mar 29, 19, 6:18 am

Ok. As a French citizen, I am not familiar with the cash advance concept so I did not pay attention to this issue. With French credit cards, these options look viable, but sending the money back to the US makes things more complicated of course.
Old Mar 29, 19, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Yesterday I tried the CP card and it was rejected - something about "rejected by the card issuer" which I took to mean it hit as a cash advance, which I have disabled.

I stand corrected as far as Chase. I have just been able to load Revolut with my CSP. Cost me the 1.84% fee from Revolut.
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Lennys26v2 View Post
I stand corrected as far as Chase. I have just been able to load Revolut with my CSP. Cost me the 1.84% fee from Revolut.
Really interested in this discussion. Thanks for starting it. Just confirming, (1) you can fund your Revolut using a cc, (2) it doesn't code as a CA, but (3) they charge you a 1.84% fee? Seems pretty steep for a 1x category! Have you uncovered any other options?
Old Apr 11, 19, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by conspire123 View Post
Really interested in this discussion. Thanks for starting it. Just confirming, (1) you can fund your Revolut using a cc, (2) it doesn't code as a CA, but (3) they charge you a 1.84% fee? Seems pretty steep for a 1x category! Have you uncovered any other options?
1 - My luck, yes.
2 - Correct
3 - As for the 1.84% fee, while I would certainly prefer a better return than 1x, according to my calculations, this still does keep you [slightly] ahead using a value of $0.020 per UR point. Please correct me if my calculations are off.

I have not had luck with other options, no. I also fear that Revolut will not be pleased if I ramp up the amount -- I have read many posts that they quickly jump on these types of transactions. Of course, the question becomes is it something that can be achieved by ramping up more slowly. I dont know....yet.

Search this Thread