Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

free/low fee re-loadable debit you can fund with visa gc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Hey

I have a bunch of $200 visa debit/gif cards. I would like ot somehow load them into one card so I can then use that card to make larger payments when paying for things.

Is there a way to do it? will amex serve work or something else?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by bklgafly
Hey

I have a bunch of $200 visa debit/gif cards. I would like ot somehow load them into one card so I can then use that card to make larger payments when paying for things.

Is there a way to do it? will amex serve work or something else?
Really??????

May I suggest politely that you start at the very top of the MS site and begin reading. This should be a great introduction into the question you asked above. Good Luck
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:58 am

You can use the $200 gift cards to buy a $500 gift card at Walgreens. They allow split tender.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I'm not into the whole MS thing, but I find that most stores will allow you to split your payment over a couple of cards if you ask. People often combine several gift cards that they received as legitimate gifts (weddings, baby showers, etc.) to make a larger purchase. But I guess it depends on how many "a bunch" is.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:49 am
inY

GoHenry
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:13 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by inY
GoHenry
That's interesting, bunch of limitations on volume etc but should not matter if used to combine multiple GCs; could even be worth it for lower volume to be able to load to a card with name on it. Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by c2d
That's interesting, bunch of limitations on volume etc but should not matter if used to combine multiple GCs; could even be worth it for lower volume to be able to load to a card with name on it. Thanks!
wow. So no fee to load via debit card, right?

Basically only fee is the monthly 3.99 which is waived first month. amazing.

I am sure they will care less that the name of the "parent" & "child" is the same...

Thank you so much inY!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:16 pm

Thanks inY, but near the bottom of the home page it says
For security reasons, you won’t be able to add money to your child’s card using a credit card or pre-paid card.
I don't know if goHenry enforces this, but if so then it's a no go for vgc.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:32 am
inY

Let me know if it works!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:01 pm

This looks interesting, but after going over the T&C for awhile, I don't know if this will work for MS. I actually don't see where it says loading with prepaid cards isn't allowed, but it does say:

You may use your Card to purchase or lease goods or services everywhere Mastercard is accepted as long as you do not exceed the value available on your Card Account. However, for the privacy and security of our customers, gohenry Cards will not be accepted for the following transactions:
  • Wires or money orders
If it won't work for MO, the only way to liquidate reliably is through ATMs. It says ATM withdrawls are limited to $120 a day, and gohenry charges a $1.50 fee per withdrawl. So even if loading with a prepaid GC does work, that's a pretty steep fee to liquidate. Maybe still worth it to meet minimum spend though.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darkice81
This looks interesting, but after going over the T&C for awhile, I don't know if this will work for MS. I actually don't see where it says loading with prepaid cards isn't allowed, but it does say:

If it won't work for MO, the only way to liquidate reliably is through ATMs. It says ATM withdrawls are limited to $120 a day, and gohenry charges a $1.50 fee per withdrawl. So even if loading with a prepaid GC does work, that's a pretty steep fee to liquidate. Maybe still worth it to meet minimum spend though.
Luckily I don't intend on liquidating any of it. It will all be for regular spend...

I ordered the card. Had to put on my son's name which I think is fine but we will see.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:05 pm
soy

Programs: various
Read the GoBank thread
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by bklgafly
Luckily I don't intend on liquidating any of it. It will all be for regular spend...

I ordered the card. Had to put on my son's name which I think is fine but we will see.
Bklgafly: Were you successful in loading your son's Gohenry card with your VGCs in spite of GoHenry's website saying it was not allowed?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by inY
GoHenry
There is a competing service called osper.com. Don't know anything about them. Currency information on their site is in pounds instead of dollars. This may mean currency exchange fees.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PoEntre
Bklgafly: Were you successful in loading your son's Gohenry card with your VGCs in spite of GoHenry's website saying it was not allowed?
STILL WAITING ON THE CARD....

They said should arrive between 10-15th the latest. Of course it didn't.

I will keep you guys posted.
Clueless12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.