Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread is a continuation of the following discussion: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1737248-kroger-master-thread-2016-onwards-26.html
Print Wikipost

Kroger master thread (2019 onwards)

Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Kroger master thread (2019 onwards)

Between 11/2018 and 1/2019, several Krogers in my area have begun refusing MO purchases with GCs. They've reported that an audit revealed an uptick of high-value MO purchases, so management is insisting that all cards be checked. This has spread throughout our area like wildfire. Anyone know of a workaround? Kroger was the best place to redeem.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; May 21, 2020 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Between 11/2018 and 1/2019, several Krogers in my area have begun refusing MO purchases with GCs. They've reported that an audit revealed an uptick of high-value MO purchases, so management is insisting that all cards be checked. This has spread throughout our area like wildfire. Anyone know of a workaround? Kroger was the best place to redeem.
The work around is to go elsewhere, since they don't want people using gift cards to pay for money orders at Kroger... they seem to be paranoid about money laundering issues. This goes hand in hand with how they've run off the MS users in general with fewer promotions, blacklisting certain credit card numbers from working in their stores of high volume gift card purchasers, etc.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:07 pm

Anything changed related to your Money order runs at kroger for anyone in michigan? Plan to go to multiple krogers in my area to liquidate some VGCs from the fee free deal and kroger is the most convenient place to do it for me.

currently located in southeastern MI so theres some other places to try in a pinch.
rufflesinc and BDF4030 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:40 pm

No Kroger in SE MI that I have been to takes debit for MOs. Cash only.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by stealthyMSer
Anything changed related to your Money order runs at kroger for anyone in michigan? Plan to go to multiple krogers in my area to liquidate some VGCs from the fee free deal and kroger is the most convenient place to do it for me.
Not MI, but in OH, I bought a MO today. BAU. Only bought one, but did it with a split transaction. Some Krogers in my area work, some don't. Good luck in MI.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: none
IN East TN, bought 2 money orders same receipts for total $1995 1 hr ago, used 4 VGC of 500 each, took less than 2 minutes for the whole thing, used left over for some oranges at same store self checkout. so its BAU. I normally use 1 card for 1 MO. per visit.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:33 pm

Which cards are you all buying/using at Kroger? Just moved to a new area, have done a ton of volume with MetaBank VGC at WM but nearly zero MS with Kroger.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by cb11
Which cards are you all buying/using at Kroger? Just moved to a new area, have done a ton of volume with MetaBank VGC at WM but nearly zero MS with Kroger.
Kroger is a useful place to liquidate Vanillas, also MC GCs without having to do the WM workaround.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by shadow520
No Kroger in SE MI that I have been to takes debit for MOs. Cash only.
are you sure about that?

Because I just went to no less than 6 krogers on my area yesterday in SE MI. All took debit. Remember their MO policy changed after the 2016 memo to allow debit cards to buy MOs again.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:05 am

Kroger master thread (2019)

I'll have to start asking again. I'm in the far NE suburbs, the Kroger's out this way all said cash only. I've not checked recently, but certainly much more recently than 2016 - I've barely been in the game that long. It'd be extremely nice to have another recycle center than just WM, I have a Kroger right around the corner from me. When I'm in LAS, I use Smith's quite a bit to cash out VGCs.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by shadow520
I'll have to start asking again. I'm in the far NE suburbs, the Kroger's out this way all said cash only. I've not checked recently, but certainly much more recently than 2016 - I've barely been in the game that long. It'd be extremely nice to have another recycle center than just WM, I have a Kroger right around the corner from me. When I'm in LAS, I use Smith's quite a bit to cash out VGCs.
I will have to try too. Someone else from SE MI said that he's had some success at Kroger.

Any interest in setting up a private group for those in SE MI?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I will have to try too. Someone else from SE MI said that he's had some success at Kroger.

Count me in. I haven't tried Krogers in SE MI since about a couple of years ago since they all were cash-only at the time, so I'd be curious to know if anything has changed.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy

I'm game.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:02 am

Hello, I'm new

If possible, any data points on mo from Dillons in the ICT,ks area? In my area, the card readers placed on the counters are conveniently unreachable for cs eyes

Thank you
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:24 am

For the first time, my local Kroger/Fred Meyer declined my Visa Gift Cards for a MO purchase. Anyone else noticing a change?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.