Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread is a continuation of the following discussion: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1737248-kroger-master-thread-2016-onwards-26.html
Print Wikipost

Kroger master thread (2019 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Lovelabs2
Registration is needed for online purchases only. It offers no protection that I know of if used as credit. If the scammer has duplicated the vgc, which is usually the case, then can be used as credit and won’t need a pin or address to drain.. If used as credit then no name is required either.

There are DPs further back on this thread that discuss this scenario. The key with USB vgc from grocery stores is to drain within 1 hour of purchase to avoid any problems. The risk of fraud increases immensely after that time frame.
if card is registered, online purch likely can't work for scammer as info don't match; last yr, 1 of my registered gdvgc bought at WM got a pending charge of $1 on Amazon by scammer; so, I went ahead loading $499 to BB first, $1 pending charge was returned to the card few days later

if card is duplicated by scammer, it could work as debit with the card's last 4#
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:05 pm

Curious, has anyone been getting non-authorized or debit transaction failed for MOs at Kroeger's and or Walmart with USB VGC from Kroegers in the last few days? I have been having a devil of a time liquidating........
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by joemeckler
Curious, has anyone been getting non-authorized or debit transaction failed for MOs at Kroeger's and or Walmart with USB VGC from Kroegers in the last few days? I have been having a devil of a time liquidating........
When this happened to me in past with USB vgc from Krogers their CS told me the card was deactivated by USB for possible fraud….small charge made to see if card is activated and what balance is. That is the scammer MO for draining cards. Call USB CS and be prepared for a long hold or call to check balance on card with auto system. If you are redirected to CS rep from auto system you can bet card has been deactivated.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:42 pm

Yes, as soon as I purchase the VGCs from Kroegers, I call in immediately to check balance. If I get automatically redirected to CS rep, I know that US Bank has put a fraud hold on my new cards. However, I was able to call in and confirm my balances (no fraud?). So nothing seemed amiss. But I was getting denied at both my Walmart and local Kroeger affiliate.
innerspace likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:22 pm

Yes, as soon as I purchase the VGCs from Kroegers, I call in immediately to check balance. If I get automatically redirected to CS rep, I know that US Bank has put a fraud hold on my new cards. However, I was able to call in and confirm my balances (no fraud?). So nothing seemed amiss. But I was getting denied at both my Walmart and local Kroeger affiliate.
Wow…that is strange. Looks like you will have to speak to USB CS rep about it then…..maybe the nag strip on card is defective…that’s only thing I can think it is for not working. Good Luck!
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:51 pm
Idk

I was unable to load a USB VGC to BB at WMMC yesterday. Card balance was good, and WM is friendly and reliable. Had similar problem in early October. Started working a couple days later. Hoping this is just a temporary issue.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Idk
I was unable to load a USB VGC to BB at WMMC yesterday. Card balance was good, and WM is friendly and reliable. Had similar problem in early October. Started working a couple days later. Hoping this is just a temporary issue.
Yup, add me to the list. Happened to me at a WMNM. That makes three of us on this page. I had this happen twice last year, and both times i changed the PIN and went back and it worked with the new PIN. This time I have changed the PIN, and checked to make sure my money was still on the USB VGC, but I haven't gone back today to try it with the new PIN yet, so we'll see if the card works now.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:29 pm
Idk

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Yup, add me to the list. Happened to me at a WMNM. That makes three of us on this page. I had this happen twice last year, and both times i changed the PIN and went back and it worked with the new PIN. This time I have changed the PIN, and checked to make sure my money was still on the USB VGC, but I haven't gone back today to try it with the new PIN yet, so we'll see if the card works now.
Would appreciate hearing if it works or not. For now I’m going to hold off on USBs.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by jn in ca
Why not try a $99 load if you are not successful with the $500 one.

If $99 loads and $500 does not, that seems like bad juju to me
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Why not try a $99 load if you are not successful with the $500 one.

If $99 loads and $500 does not, that seems like bad juju to me
For the first time ever my $500 USB vgc didn’t work immediately after purchase….as noted in other DPs. $500 balance is there…so maybe USB has changed policy for activation time frame.

Also….saw something very interesting at my local Kroger affiliate store when I purchased USB vgc yesterday. There is a sign above the VISA and MC gift card rack….”Smile, you’re on camera”. This is new and wasn’t there last week. So my guess is that BHN and USB realize that grocery stores are main avenue for scammers to mess with these cards and are asking for the camera installation to deter them. I could be wrong but no camera over any other GC rack. Either way it’s a good thing IMHO. On the other hand it could also work against folks who buy many GC on regular basis. Anyone else see this change in there grocery stores? Thoughts??
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:54 pm
Idk

For the first time ever my $500 USB vgc didn’t work immediately after purchase….as noted in other DPs. $500 balance is there…so maybe USB has changed policy for activation time frame.

Also….saw something very interesting at my local Kroger affiliate store when I purchased USB vgc yesterday. There is a sign above the VISA and MC gift card rack….”Smile, you’re on camera”. This is new and wasn’t there last week. So my guess is that BHN and USB realize that grocery stores are main avenue for scammers to mess with these cards and are asking for the camera installation to deter them. I could be wrong but no camera over any other GC rack. Either way it’s a good thing IMHO. On the other hand it could also work against folks who buy many GC on regular basis. Anyone else see this change in there grocery stores? Thoughts??
I don’t think it’s activation time. I was able to use the card to make an online payment immediately after it failed at WM.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I'll throw out my dp. You guys can draw whatever conclusions you want from my dp.

I took 2 USB VGCs to my Walmart MC. I went online right before I left and made sure they were both good. Tried to buy a MO with no card splitting. First card swipe nothing happened. So I pulled out the second card and swiped it. Got a code 58. I made sure to get the little printed slip so I'd know for sure.

So I drove down the street my friendly WMNM. This time I made a small purchase at customer service, lotto tix, to make sure the card worked. Went through no problem. So I order a MO, no card split. First swipe nothing happens, second swipe it reads as a bad card swipe. I say to the guy "this is the same card that just bought the lotto tix." He says swipe it again. Instead I pulled out the other card to swipe and got another code 58.

Reading Reddit this week I see lots of reports of code 58, lots of declines at Kroger and Albertsons too, lots of cards being locked for fraud. One guy got through to a second level fraud rep at US Bank who said USB has had a lot of fraud the last few weeks. (Yeah, I had that figured out already!) Gee, if you were having a lot of fraud on your gift cards, you might get pretty ornery about people cashing out your gift cards for MOs too.

Sorry Kroger but I am going back to Safeway for now.
innerspace likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Idk
I don’t think it’s activation time. I was able to use the card to make an online payment immediately after it failed at WM.
Update on my USB vgc not working yesterday or today….Per CS rep the card was blocked before I ever tried to use it….Full $500 still on card. Asked for reason it was blocked and told suspicious charge attempted. I literally tried to use it within 30 minutes of purchase yesterday.

it’s getting very dicey with USB GC fraud and it confirms that the scammers are definitely targeting these cards at grocery stores. Fortunately USB has upped their game with proactive security measures.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:00 am

Update on my USB vgc not working yesterday or today….Per CS rep the card was blocked before I ever tried to use it….Full $500 still on card. Asked for reason it was blocked and told suspicious charge attempted. I literally tried to use it within 30 minutes of purchase yesterday.

it’s getting very dicey with USB GC fraud and it confirms that the scammers are definitely targeting these cards at grocery stores. Fortunately USB has upped their game with proactive security measures.
darn, sounded that their vgc would likely often be blocked for large amt?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
darn, sounded that their vgc would likely often be blocked for large amt?
That certainly could be happening now if DP 552 above is true with USB having more fraud last few weeks. IMHO I think, with inflation now at record levels, scammers will be working OT now and in future for a free ride. Buckle your seatbelt and be extra vigilant with USB cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.