Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread is a continuation of the following discussion: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1737248-kroger-master-thread-2016-onwards-26.html
Print Wikipost

Kroger master thread (2019 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:47 am

I had no problem yesterday @ Kroger. But my area just started accepting debit a month or so ago. I did 2x$998 with 4 swipes. Don't know if they realize they are VGCs or not and don't volunteer the info.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
For the first time, my local Kroger/Fred Meyer declined my Visa Gift Cards for a MO purchase. Anyone else noticing a change?
Was it declined by the machine or did the CSR just tell you that can't accepte VGC's? Most krogers in the DFW area stopped accepting VGC's long ago, but it is not hard coded into the system so you can still buy them from the right CSR if you are not doing multiple swipes and not getting to close too $500. I'm guessing any changes would either be store specific or possibly region specific.

Last edited by knopfler; Jan 15, 2019 at 12:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
Was it declined by the machine or did the CSR just tell you that can't accepte VGC's? Most krogers in the DFW area stopped accepting VGC's long ago, but it is not hard coded into the system so you can still buy them from the right CSR if you are not doing multiple swipes and not getting to close too $500. I'm guessing any changes would either be store specific or possibly region specific.
Today, I was turned down by the other Kroger/Fred Meyer in my area. Previously, I had no problems at either store. Now, the CSR at each store asked to see the VGC. Store no. 1: "We can't accept gift cards." Store no. 2: "We can only accept cards with your name on them."

Fortunately, my local WMNM is still golden.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Today, I was turned down by the other Kroger/Fred Meyer in my area. Previously, I had no problems at either store. Now, the CSR at each store asked to see the VGC. Store no. 1: "We can't accept gift cards." Store no. 2: "We can only accept cards with your name on them."

This is one good reason to buy BLACK cards from GCM. You can then take a sharpy and black out GIFT top right. Onyx choice for example. Also sign back of card before you go in helps.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
This is one good reason to buy BLACK cards from GCM. You can then take a sharpy and black out GIFT top right. Onyx choice for example. Also sign back of card before you go in helps.
Because I have other options for liquidation (WMNM), I am not dependent on Kroger. All of my VGC purchases are at OM/OD/Staples when the fees are waived, and they qualify for the 5X with my Ink, so I have not needed to buy from (and pay fees to) GCM. But thanks for the suggestions. (Because I do my regular shopping at Kroger, I do not want to try any dodgy tricks there.....)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
This only works for rookie CSRs.

The seasoned ones look at the back and as soon as they see metabank or some sort of gift card or prepaid card in the fine print in the back, they will not let you use the card.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:38 pm

I find I'm usually fine when I do only one card. It's when I go for a split transaction is when the CSR starts asking to see the card, and then tell me they don't take VGC.
4everlovingjah likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:31 am

I have tried ~10 krogers in SE michigan/NW ohio, my standard question is to ask if I can do multiple swipes and they all say yes unless they are gift cards. This is store policy, not coded in the register, so If you don't do multiple swipes you can often get away with one pretty easily. Just not worth my time so I don't bother.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:37 am

Anyone in the Knoxville area? Wanted to see what the Kroger landscape is like.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:30 am

No issues using the USB VGC at Kroger, but had an issue with the WU MO.

My bank (Regions) froze my account because they said WU couldn’t authorize the funds at time of deposit. Maybe I deposited the MO too quickly? Is there a lag on these WU MO becoming available? Never had this issue before.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: none
my suntrust not only closed my acct(Lost out $200 new acct bonus) but held the 1 MO for 1 yr despite i worte to CFPB, they sometimes do that only to new account, lesson learned, for me, I never open an account with MO or deposit MO until 30 days or got my bonus 1st with the new account, it wont happen to all but i no longer take my risk, i deposit all MO to WF, then may use WF check or fund to open new acct if needed. your bank regions may just want hold 7 to 10 days to get paid.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:12 pm

Does kroger accept the mastercard GC from metabank? I can't hit the "change payment" button fast enough to use the MC GC in walmart!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by adobe
Does kroger accept the mastercard GC from metabank? I can't hit the "change payment" button fast enough to use the MC GC in walmart!
Best way to try is to buy few bananas and do self check out to make sure its working(receipt even show you remaining balance) before heading to the customer service desk. computer may decline you 1st, but try again after 30 minute or another day and it should work
medellinfein likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by adobe
When I was trying to liquidate Mastercards from Sam's Club at Kroger, I found that some Kroger stores would take them, some wouldn't. A SC MC is Bancorp, but I imagine you'll get the same result with Metabank. Some Krogers will take it, some won't. While trying to find out, I would start with a $499.12 MO so you don't need to split payment. That way you can test if the machine will take it instead of being turned down by the CSR. Good luck!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:15 pm

It's been a year since I was in TN, but at the time I was able to do ~$5k per month in MS at Krogers. It doesn't sound like anything has changed as I currently do that in CO at a Kroger owned chain. Only times I get denied is if I ask to do multiple swipes and they ask to see the card. When I'm using cards from GC.com that have my name on them, they allow it, but if I'm using a GC from a grocery store they won't. Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.