Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Someone has used My Vanilla card to purchase a UA flight - Dispute

Old Jan 23, 19, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Someone has used my vanilla card for $100 on 12/17/18. I still have the card and the transaction when I put card # in said it was used for United flight # 0162430128xxx. This was a card never been used and now that I want to use it I can't. Please correct this mistake. No one should have been able to use it as it was in a safe deposit box.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 19 at 12:37 pm Reason: removed personal information
Old Jan 23, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Carole Curtis View Post
Someone has used my vanilla card for $100 on 12/17/18. I still have the card and the transaction when I put card # in said it was used for United flight # 0162430128xxx. This was a card never been used and now that I want to use it I can't. Please correct this mistake. No one should have been able to use it as it was in a safe deposit box.
You may want to contact the card issuer about this matter. Perhaps they can assist you with a dispute, though I am not sure how that process works with a reloadable card.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 19 at 12:46 pm Reason: quote update to reflect Moderator edit;
Old Jan 23, 19, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You should contact Vanilla and/or United Airlines directly with your concern. This forum is for discussion of United Airlines, but it's not affiliated with United, and nobody here will be able to help you. I'd call United at 1-800-UNITED-1 (864-8331).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 19 at 12:47 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator Edit
Old Jan 23, 19, 12:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
While there is no great place on FlyerTalk for MyVanilla card issues, seems the most discussion is in the Manufacturing Spend forum, so hoping someone there can help the OP in filing a dispute on this prepaid debt card (suspect this is not easy)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 23, 19, 1:47 pm

Welcome to MS forum of FT!

FYI, if your card # has been hacked, funds can be stolen and used online without the physical GC. Did you check the balance on this GC when you got it how much was the initial balance? If let's say initial balance was $200 and someone who hacked the GC info used it to pay a UA flight, make sure to check remaining balance. If initial balance was $100, your balance now is zero. If initial balance was higher and there's still some balance left, better spend it now or else, it will be used again by the one with your GC info.

If you have to file a dispute, go to Vanilla website to get their number and follow prompts on how to file a dispute. The rep will usually ask for scan of receipt and packaging as proof of purchase; if you got it as gift, that may be harder to prove that you got the VGC legitimately so be prepared to explain, if necessary. If you still have the packaging of the GC, check the back to see if it was issued by Bancorp or Metabank. The issuer will reimburse the funds stolen after finishing an investigation. You may have to wait up to 30 calendar days to receive the refund. Good luck!
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is for the newbies who buy the cash equivalent gift cards -

Putting your gift card in a safety deposit box does not offer ANY protection because as Mimibear said, a physical card does not need to be present when making online purchase. Not every merchant requires the CVV (the 3 digits at the back of the physical card) to complete an online transaction. Amazon does not require it for example.

The BEST WAY to give you protection and makes a stolen or lost card much easier to be replaced, is to take the trouble to REGISTER your cash equivalent card if you do not use it immediately like in the next 30 min.

Once you bought the cash equivalent gift card, check the balance online to make sure correct amount is loaded -

If the card has already been compromised before you bought it, the website would give you a message to call, the phone prompt would immediately transfer you to a human rep - then they would follow procedures to help you.

If everything looks fine, amount is correct, and you dont intend to use it immediately - REGISTER the card in your own name/address/phone number. That way should something like what you experienced happened, a phone call to the issuer would let the issuer quickly see WHO is the rightful owner is and proceed to take proper action.

There are more and more scenarios that the thieves registered the stolen cards because of the negligence of the rightful owners who fail to register their cash equivalent gift cards after purchase - the outcome is, the issuers would often cite with the registered owner even though it is the thief who does it.

Always always keep the receipt of your purchase until you have fully spent the card's value. You can still find the issuer of the card even if you have tossed away the package - it should be in the very hard to read fine print at the back of the card - at least I have seen some cards have it. Better yet, keep the receipt and the sheet that is inside the package together until the card is fully used up.

Good luck in sorting the case with Vanilla card issuer and please return here to post the outcome.
Old Jan 23, 19, 4:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

There is always the risk of the GCs get hacked. For the HTs who regularly MS like $100k/month, you can't do what Happy recommended above. It is impractical to register more than 200+ GCs each month.

The only thing we can do is to cash the GCs within a very short time windows. Again, it is impractical to cash in the 200+/month with all the new restrictions of the MOs, prepaid loading etc.

As said in all the wiki and newbie guides, MSing is a risky business. You take your own risk and manage it..... Good luck to get your $$$ back.
Old Jan 24, 19, 5:03 pm

Please correct this mistake. No one should have been able to use it as it was in a safe deposit box.
I will correct it right away. Please send me your bank account and routing number, along with your SSN, date of birth and mother's maiden name.
cruisr, jtav559 and NeGourmand like this.
Old Jan 24, 19, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
We will never see the OP here again.
Old Jan 28, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
We will never see the OP here again.
While I imagine she wound up in the FT forums on accident, she couldn't have found a better place to give her guidance for her issue. Alas I have to agree with you, she won't be seen again.

Search this Thread