FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1949375-simon-mall-gift-cards-2019-2023-a.html)

tcook052 Jan 5, 2019 3:52 pm

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

This is the thread for 2019. The previous 2014 - 2015 is here, the 2016 edition here and the 2017 - 2018 thread is here.

tcook052
MS forum moderator

Litig8r1104 Jan 6, 2019 8:01 pm

Has anyone had any luck with SM that previously would not sell to you now being willing to? Maybe it is due to a change in management.

jtav559 Jan 7, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Litig8r1104 (Post 30620236)
Has anyone had any luck with SM that previously would not sell to you now being willing to? Maybe it is due to a change in management.

I don't think I have read (any time recently at least) regarding a SM that was not friendly to "frequent and loyal customers". Maybe the occasional CSR that went off the reservation, but never a blanket ban!

Quite the contrary in my neck of the woods....One of the stores in my local area has a whole "loyalty" setup for those who purchase VGC regularly. Call aheads to prep cards, heads up on promos, etc.
Its a pretty symbiotic relationship - ease for me, more sales for them.

Which begs the question - what did one do to get on SM's bad side? Did you lie on their little info form they make you fill out and get caught?

josh1573 Jan 7, 2019 10:19 am

3 or 4 year ago my simon mall used to sell the cards out of kiosk in the middle of the mall and it was always busy and cumbersome to purchase a large amount
of cards due to the registration process but since them they move the sale of the cards to the mall offices and it has been great, I know all people in the office and
they are always asking me where am I going to go every year, they know about the hobby and they are always very eager to help, so no I never really have an issue with CSRs at my simon

pao2dapao Jan 7, 2019 12:14 pm

Anyone have a DP on hilton free weekend nights with $15k spend working when purchasing Simon GC at the mall?

fishfly Jan 7, 2019 4:25 pm

This is a newb question... but do you guys buy vgcs directly from the reps or pick a packaged one from the rotating shelves?

Chelski Jan 7, 2019 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by pao2dapao (Post 30623253)
Anyone have a DP on hilton free weekend nights with $15k spend working when purchasing Simon GC at the mall?

The answer is here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...2017-a-11.html

ChrisFlyer66 Jan 7, 2019 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by fishfly (Post 30624416)
This is a newb question... but do you guys buy vgcs directly from the reps or pick a packaged one from the rotating shelves?

directly from the reps

jtav559 Jan 8, 2019 7:45 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 (Post 30625617)
directly from the reps

Usually directly from the reps, but on occasion they are out of the loose cards and I have to grab a handful from the rotating shelf. I double check each package to make sure there are no signs of tampering when I use the prepackaged ones.

knopfler Jan 8, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jtav559 (Post 30622540)
Which begs the question - what did one do to get on SM's bad side? Did you lie on their little info form they make you fill out and get caught?

They will ban people who buy more than $10k a day by going to multiple SM's.

fishfly Jan 8, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 (Post 30625617)
directly from the reps

Originally Posted by jtav559 (Post 30626969)
Usually directly from the reps, but on occasion they are out of the loose cards and I have to grab a handful from the rotating shelf. I double check each package to make sure there are no signs of tampering when I use the prepackaged ones.

Pretty sure I saw one of us in front of me with a loong receipt and a stack of cards. Thought it was a pre-order or something. I had been pulling 3-4 cards from the rack, triple-checking if it had been tampered. Going to walk directly to the reps next time around. Thanks for the responses.

redtop43 Jan 10, 2019 12:16 am

In many cases, the CSR's will reserve their "private stock." The cards off the kiosk can only be loaded with $25+, but the loose cards the CSR's have can be loaded with less. So if they have a promo like "Buy a $50 gift card for Nike, get a $10 Simon Gift Card" they have to use their loose cards.

At my go-to SM, I hand the CSR my pre-printed form and ask if they need cards. They usually say yes, and I open up the kiosk and take two packages of 10 cards each.

Occasionally they say the cards can't be swiped, only scanned, which requires removing the perforated part of the back of the card package, and I do that for them.

I've never found a single SM that wasn't totally hospitable. One in Las Vegas even called me once to tell me their system was down and that they'd call me when it was back up, to save me a wasted trip. Only friction I've ever had was when I briefly had a corporate account and they shut me down, but we all know they shouldn't have given it to me in the first place.

AlohaDaveKennedy Jan 10, 2019 4:50 am

Both.

knopfler Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 30635370)
One in Las Vegas even called me once to tell me their system was down and that they'd call me when it was back up, to save me a wasted trip.

SM in DFW area did the same for me. Awesome customer service. Sometimes if I can tell they are having a rough day, I walk over to SBUX and bring them back a refreshment.

tuphat Jan 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler (Post 30637347)
SM in DFW area did the same for me. Awesome customer service. Sometimes if I can tell they are having a rough day, I walk over to SBUX and bring them back a refreshment.

For those who still have 5back cards with $26 on them: I'm sure your favorite SM rep would appreciate one, or a GC purchased with one ...