Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 24, 20, 4:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: danpeake
Wiki Link
$1000 gift cards to be available indefinitely. Notified by Simon Mall spokesperson on Dec 26 2019. ($1k cards are temporarily not available anymore at many Simon malls as of March 2020)

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 11, 20, 9:29 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by danpeake View Post
The issue is on the redemption side. Some stores don't accept cards that are gift cards and when they ask to see the card that says "Gift Card" across the top, they will deny them even if it has ones name on it.
Wow, sounds like you live in a huge metropolitan area with lots of heavy hitters.
Haven't had anyone ask to see my VGCs in the middle of nowhere Mid West in forever.
I do actually like the super cheap material of the new Simon VGCs and also I will never ever buy them online and risk having one or two being drained in the process of home delivery.
Love to see my Simon Malls back to selling them.
Old Sep 11, 20, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by craz View Post
While others go ape when you swipe and not use a chip, and dont care if it says Gift or not but want to make sure its a Bank DC and if it isnt will send you on your way,its a YMMV issue and as others have said its not getting any easier, unless you are in the boondocks, but then you probably dont have many locations to work with should 1 turn on you
On contraire, I do have 4 Wallys to work with on a daily basis and and extra 3 if I decide to travel a little farther while on my way to the airport to catch an airplane for work (yes, I am still flying for business and have been for the last couple months).
Old Sep 11, 20, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
On contraire, I do have 4 Wallys to work with on a daily basis and and extra 3 if I decide to travel a little farther while on my way to the airport to catch an airplane for work (yes, I am still flying for business and have been for the last couple months).
Then you dont live in what I consider the Boondocks, 1st of all an airport wouldnt be a short drive <1hr, 2nd Wallys would be like at a min 1/2 hr between locations
Old Sep 11, 20, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by craz View Post
Then you dont live in what I consider the Boondocks, 1st of all an airport wouldnt be a short drive <1hr, 2nd Wallys would be like at a min 1/2 hr between locations
And amazingly, in the last 10 years (back to when KATE still existed), I have NEVER been asked to show my VGCs and have never been asked for valid I.D. to scan ... (just adjusted to 1 X $999.11 MO per visit) even when splitting non Simon $500 VGCs from Krogy.
This shows America (USA) still has its golden spots away from the major metropolitan areas
Old Sep 11, 20, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
And amazingly, in the last 10 years (back to when KATE still existed), I have NEVER been asked to show my VGCs and have never been asked for valid I.D. to scan ... (just adjusted to 1 X $999.11 MO per visit) even when splitting non Simon $500 VGCs from Krogy.
This shows America (USA) still has its golden spots away from the major metropolitan areas
Wish I was so lucky, with the exception of 2 supermkt stores (not chains) its Only Ca$h, thats why I take a nice long drive to unload Staples, its an all day affair but I get the job done and when SM was in bi, would stop by Wally as well but havent in months. Any location closer to me would draw their guns on me if I tried doing split payments and not about to get MOs for $199, nopt so much saving the $1 as wanting to limit the # of MOs having to deposit

that said with not using any Pts or Miles in months I will probably cut back once Im Chased out with Staples
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by gw14 View Post
Just got an email from one of my regular Simon Malls saying the Giftcards are now available for purchase at the management office.
location?
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by soy View Post
True, I wonder if there is some rule that they have to include the word 'gift' ?
Otherwise, you would think that they would offer a design for the volume cards that does not have that word gift - after all they know why we buy them.
These cards started out as gift cards and that is how they were advertised, but we buy them for budget tools or whatever. They currently say "Simon gift card", so just the word "Simon" would be best, I think. I have had some clerks question the cards and it is a hassle. I point out that it is a Visa Debit card but doesn't always work if they find the words "gift card".
Old Sep 13, 20, 7:34 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by soy View Post
True, I wonder if there is some rule that they have to include the word 'gift' ?
Otherwise, you would think that they would offer a design for the volume cards that does not have that word gift - after all they know why we buy them.
A Simon rep told me by email that by law they have to include the gift card wording on the card. Not sure if that's entirely true, perhaps if enough of us email them they'll take another look at it.
Travelz likes this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 12:42 pm

Gut check please: If I have already maxed out the FREEGROUND promo, there's currently no discount promo/deal? Thanks
beachmiles likes this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
SIMON does not count for OBC, in any respect.
Delta if chasing future diamond and dont care about lost money
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:46 am

Counts for the MQD waiver ?
808traveler likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, SPG/Marriott/HHonors Gold, *A Gold (SAS EuroBonus)
Originally Posted by wmy2008 View Post
Hi, did you solve your issue yet? Finally, it happen to me. Bought 13 card, one got drain out 1k entirely. I called BHN, and had an dispute case open. Also wondering, should I talk to Simon people as well?
Activated on 9/5, and one get drain out on 9/6. Thing look so scary now.
I've had it happen twice now. Just got an email that the first dispute (from a transaction dated 8/22) has been resolved in my favor and they are mailing me a new 1k VGC replacement.
wmy2008 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:31 am

Hi, new to Simon, been mostly working on MR with Amex and I understand they don't play well with Simon so I waited. I'm finally ready to work with SM and was wondering if anyone could recommend a Wiki or page to fast-track beginning process. Also, besides Amex, do they play well with Cap1, Citi, and Discover?
TIA
Old Sep 16, 20, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ms069279 View Post
Hi, new to Simon, been mostly working on MR with Amex and I understand they don't play well with Simon so I waited. I'm finally ready to work with SM and was wondering if anyone could recommend a Wiki or page to fast-track beginning process. Also, besides Amex, do they play well with Cap1, Citi, and Discover?
TIA
I can tell you that Cap One absolutely hates Simon purchases. I had one of my Cap One CCs shut down because of this type of activity. I have read others having the same issue with Cap One CCs.
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
I can tell you that Cap One absolutely hates Simon purchases. I had one of my Cap One CCs shut down because of this type of activity. I have read others having the same issue with Cap One CCs.
They seem to tolerate GCM Ok

Search this Thread
Search Engine: