Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 6:34 pm

Upon reading this most recent post I'm noticing that I haven't gotten points for any Simon purchases on Amex cards since midway through April. Is there a discussion about this somewhere? Seems pretty serious.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tectomoc
Upon reading this most recent post I'm noticing that I haven't gotten points for any Simon purchases on Amex cards since midway through April. Is there a discussion about this somewhere? Seems pretty serious.
since 4/10 Simon mall hasn’t counted for anything Amex related. MR earning or co-branded.

There was a glitch at certain locations for a certain card earning wayyyy more than it should have earned
Old May 3, 2019, 9:46 pm

First time realizing how nice the girls (at least here they all are) at Simon actually are. Ended up getting caught at work so I couldn't make it before they closed, so I called them and they stayed open a couple minutes for me with the GCs ready.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yaji
First time realizing how nice the girls (at least here they all are) at Simon actually are. Ended up getting caught at work so I couldn't make it before they closed, so I called them and they stayed open a couple minutes for me with the GCs ready.
Hope you didn’t use an Amex
Old May 3, 2019, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by beast7276

Hope you didn’t use an Amex
Thankfully not. Only MC/Visa used there since since it's almost always just MS and I can finish it the day I get the card. Sometimes would use CIU/doublecash just to offset fees.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by humbled_thoughts

since 4/10 Simon mall hasn’t counted for anything Amex related. MR earning or co-branded.

There was a glitch at certain locations for a certain card earning wayyyy more than it should have earned
Just to be precise...
Anything that Amex would give you (pts or whatnot) will not be included in any SMGC purchase.
However, if the award is being given by another party, for example Hilton points on a Hilton Amex card, then all purchases to date have counted for those points.
With that being said, I have not gotten an Amex Hilton bill since April (which did count the SM purchase), so I am waiting with bated breath to see if things have changed.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by radonc1
Just to be precise...
Anything that Amex would give you (pts or whatnot) will not be included in any SMGC purchase.
However, if the award is being given by another party, for example Hilton points on a Hilton Amex card, then all purchases to date have counted for those points.
With that being said, I have not gotten an Amex Hilton bill since April (which did count the SM purchase), so I am waiting with bated breath to see if things have changed.
wrong. Save your bated breath. You aren’t getting anything.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:36 pm

since SMs are far from home & work, WM work for me for now; based on current DPs, seems that it's best to not use any Amex CCs at SMs.

Does vgc purchase @ GCM & GC still earn pts from Amex? Thx
Old May 4, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by beast7276

wrong. Save your bated breath. You aren’t getting anything.
Bated breath is unneeded. You are unfortunately correct
I checked my statements and Amex not only is not giving Hilton points for SM purchases but it is also not giving any spend as well
So no more SM purchases with Amex cards.
My next question is: is this also true for Staples and OM/OD GC purchases? (Definitely takes the fun out of this game)
Old May 4, 2019, 9:34 pm

Those not getting AMEX points ( Amex or branded): is this sm reg mall or outlet? If outlet, may be worth trying a $5 coupon book. I haven’t done Amex at SM since last year. Will try a split pmt for $1k next time at an outlet
Old May 5, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Chelski
Those not getting AMEX points ( Amex or branded): is this sm reg mall or outlet? If outlet, may be worth trying a $5 coupon book. I haven’t done Amex at SM since last year. Will try a split pmt for $1k next time at an outlet
Spg card doesnt get any point on both reg mall and outlet since mid april.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:27 am

I am uncertain as to whether to start a new thread, or perhaps there is an old one. However..

I was originally using MSing to qualify for certain CC benefits. With the passing of Amex's use at SM, I wanted to see if there was any sense to continuing this endeavor for the points.
Just to clarify, I use MSing with CCs not for point value per se, but to get benefits such as status level, etc. (Points were just an added benefit) But I want to look at just how beneficial the points that I receive are as well.
Quick calculation.
At best, using SM, I can get $1000 of MOs for around $8.78. ($3.95 card charge for $500 card plus MO cost of $0.88 per $1000.) (I have specifically eliminated specials such as Staples or OM. I don't use GCM or GC.com through a portal so I do not know the cost using these sites, but let's agree that the complexity in this endeavor becomes greater).
Using this site, the average loyalty program value is $0.01 per point, which means that your 1000 points is on average worth only $10.00 (range $5-$19). (Scroll down to the table labeled "Point value by loyalty program")

So, other than very specific stays (such as stay 5 nights, pay for 4), or very specific sales on specific dates for individual properties, most routine stays now cost a fortune in points. Is there any sense to doing MSing for hotel points? And given the incredible difficulty in using points for airline awards (especially F fares, etc), this is also true for most airlines as well.
Does it make sense to do MSing just to gain points?
Has the world of reward travel been turned upside down by MSing?
Old May 5, 2019, 12:58 pm

I MS for cashback.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:03 pm

I am uncertain as to whether to start a new thread, or perhaps there is an old one. However..

I was originally using MSing to qualify for certain CC benefits. With the passing of Amex's use at SM, I wanted to see if there was any sense to continuing this endeavor for the points.
Just to clarify, I use MSing with CCs not for point value per se, but to get benefits such as status level, etc. (Points were just an added benefit) But I want to look at just how beneficial the points that I receive are as well.
Quick calculation.
At best, using SM, I can get $1000 of MOs for around $8.78. ($3.95 card charge for $500 card plus MO cost of $0.88 per $1000.) (I have specifically eliminated specials such as Staples or OM. I don't use GCM or GC.com through a portal so I do not know the cost using these sites, but let's agree that the complexity in this endeavor becomes greater).
Using this site, the average loyalty program value is $0.01 per point, which means that your 1000 points is on average worth only $10.00 (range $5-$19). (Scroll down to the table labeled "Point value by loyalty program")

So, other than very specific stays (such as stay 5 nights, pay for 4), or very specific sales on specific dates for individual properties, most routine stays now cost a fortune in points. Is there any sense to doing MSing for hotel points? And given the incredible difficulty in using points for airline awards (especially F fares, etc), this is also true for most airlines as well.
Does it make sense to do MSing just to gain points?
Has the world of reward travel been turned upside down by MSing?

I MS for 2-3 things typically.

1) minimum spend requirements
2) Cash
3) Spend requirements like a FNC for hyatt or Hilton..
Old May 5, 2019, 1:07 pm

Bated breath is unneeded. You are unfortunately correct
I checked my statements and Amex not only is not giving Hilton points for SM purchases but it is also not giving any spend as well
So no more SM purchases with Amex cards.
My next question is: is this also true for Staples and OM/OD GC purchases? (Definitely takes the fun out of this game)
should be fine for staples, OD/OM purchases. As long as your account never comes up for review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.