Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:47 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
$1000 gift cards to be available indefinitely. Notified by Simon Mall spokesperson on Dec 26 2019. ($1k cards are temporarily not available anymore at many Simon malls as of March 2020)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 12, 20, 5:22 am
  #811  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 677
Originally Posted by wmy2008 View Post
HI, Tried search this thread, but the answer does not quite match my situation. Hope anyone has similar experience and would like to share.
First time happen. I have been using my dc from citi for over year in simon, and I believe the card has been deep seasoned, Today, I get declined for ~6k purchase. Soon, I am able use the the same card for some small purchase, so the card is not locked.
I did not see any 6k pending or whatever shown on my card when I log in to my account.
So, it is better just wait >24 hour and try again.? or should call citi? I don't want to call because it is likely to have some human eye on my account. My simon purchase will be noticed.
any input will be appreciated.
Just used my dc card yesterday around noon at Simon for 9k no problem.
gw14 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:36 am
  #812  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: ca
Posts: 18
Thank you. I will try again one or two days later..My card is still good for other purchase now. Remember first time using it(back to year ago), it got declined, but the card was locked as well
thanks.
wmy2008 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:05 pm
  #813  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by wmy2008 View Post
Thank you. I will try again one or two days later..My card is still good for other purchase now. Remember first time using it(back to year ago), it got declined, but the card was locked as well
thanks.
I posted just before you with a similar situation - unexpected decline from Simon. I did contact the credit card company to see if there was a security limit set on the account (I know, probably a mistake), but they said there wasn't. Today, 24 hours later from my decline, I went back to the same Simon property with the same clerk and got $6K in VGC with no problem. There is hope!
cuthroat likes this.
dngrmys is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 6:22 pm
  #814  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: JRF
Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
Posts: 1,249
I know Amex is long dead at Simon for minimum spend, regular spend, etc. But what about add an AU spend? I did it without thinking but I guess will find out soon enough...
msp3 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 6:50 pm
  #815  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
I know Amex is long dead at Simon for minimum spend, regular spend, etc. But what about add an AU spend? I did it without thinking but I guess will find out soon enough...
should work
msp3 likes this.
beast7276 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:36 pm
  #816  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 586
Originally Posted by wmy2008 View Post
HI, Tried search this thread, but the answer does not quite match my situation. Hope anyone has similar experience and would like to share.
First time happen. I have been using my dc from citi for over year in simon, and I believe the card has been deep seasoned, Today, I get declined for ~6k purchase. Soon, I am able use the the same card for some small purchase, so the card is not locked.
I did not see any 6k pending or whatever shown on my card when I log in to my account.
So, it is better just wait >24 hour and try again.? or should call citi? I don't want to call because it is likely to have some human eye on my account. My simon purchase will be noticed.
any input will be appreciated.
Is $6k more than what you have normally purchased per visit over the past year? If so, I could see a random decline from Citi. Or if you recently received a replacement card for any reason (old card expired, card lost/stolen, etc).
knopfler is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 11:10 pm
  #817  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: ca
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Is $6k more than what you have normally purchased per visit over the past year? If so, I could see a random decline from Citi. Or if you recently received a replacement card for any reason (old card expired, card lost/stolen, etc).
That is amount I normally do each visit. The card is still good for other purchase. I might give it a try in about two days. This might be just glitch due to whatever reason I don't know. To be honest, buying a gebit card is always doable, but the hard part is to turn them into cash.
Thanks for all the inputs.
wmy2008 is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:08 am
  #818  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 3,612
Originally Posted by wmy2008 View Post
That is amount I normally do each visit. The card is still good for other purchase. I might give it a try in about two days. This might be just glitch due to whatever reason I don't know. To be honest, buying a gebit card is always doable, but the hard part is to turn them into cash.
Thanks for all the inputs.
My Citi card is the World Elite MC (for the past 5 years) and until recently, any spend at SM for GCs was declined. However, in the past month, I have been able to buy a single $1K GC and the charge did go through (for the very first time ever).

While I know the SM is not suppose to let you use a declined CC for a charge within 24 hours (thereby making the CC useless for the current purchase) I have discovered that if the person selling you the cards knows you, they can let you reenter the card after you affirm the purchase with Citi without an issue.

If you have notifications on your phone, set up your Citi account to send you notifications when there is a decline of the charge. You can reverse the decline on your phone.Then proceed to buy the cards as long as the rep will let you.
radonc1 is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:59 pm
  #819  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Posts: 3,261
For the first time, I had a SM CSR let me run a declined card again. Note though, that I am probably this mall's most familiar customer. (Back in the $500 days they used to keep a container of cards in the closet with the label "RedTop's Cards" on it.)
TyPo311 likes this.
redtop43 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 20, 4:23 pm
  #820  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
I know Amex is long dead at Simon for minimum spend, regular spend, etc. But what about add an AU spend? I did it without thinking but I guess will find out soon enough...
Any update on this? Did it went through(earned MR) for you as an A/U?
rice4u is offline  
Old Feb 16, 20, 4:24 pm
  #821  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by rice4u View Post
Any update on this? Did it went through(earned MR) for you as an A/U?
lol
beast7276 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 20, 4:28 pm
  #822  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by beast7276 View Post
lol

From my understanding, spends from A/U counts toward SUB or just UR/MR?
rice4u is offline  
Old Feb 18, 20, 8:47 am
  #823  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 28
My CIU got denied while purchasing the 1k giftcards. Anyone tried calling in to get that fixed? Or is that not recommended?
chuakc92 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:47 am
  #824  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Posts: 3,612
Originally Posted by chuakc92 View Post
My CIU got denied while purchasing the 1k giftcards. Anyone tried calling in to get that fixed? Or is that not recommended?
So little information, so big a question.

How many GCs were you trying to buy?
What is your CL and are you near or over it?
How long have you had the card?
Have you purchased this amount of GCs at SM before using this CC?

Answering some of these questions may make it easier for someone here to supply some useful information. TIA
radonc1 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:50 am
  #825  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
So little information, so big a question.

How many GCs were you trying to buy?
What is your CL and are you near or over it?
How long have you had the card?
Have you purchased this amount of GCs at SM before using this CC?

Answering some of these questions may make it easier for someone here to supply some useful information. TIA
I was trying to buy 9 1k VGCs and have 9.5k credit limit. Definitely not going over. I've had this card for 3 months, but have successfully bought 3 VGCs on it before. I guess 9 is just not safe to do currently?
chuakc92 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: