Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just another data point. Went to Simon Malls in Atlanta and they said the $1,000 gift cards were going to be running indefinitely.

Bought $9,900 and it was just as easy as before.

Now, got to convert them to money orders despite the Walmart MO machine being so restricted.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by beast7276
LOL - keep on keeping on! Question for you - is Arianna your favorite blogger?
never heard of her
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I have been using Chase unlimited freedom for Simon VGCs...received a chase secure message today:

Update: We are concerned about your rewards activity

We reviewed your credit card account and it appears certain activities indicate potential misuse of the rewards program. Examples of such activities include:
  • Buying or selling rewards
  • Selling, or participating in the sale or exchange of, gift cards, travel or other items of value obtained through use of rewards
  • Repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the purpose of generating rewards
  • Manufacturing spend for the purpose of generating rewards
  • Moving or transferring rewards to an ineligible third party or account
  • Misuse of a third-party merchant or service provider program with which rewards may be used under this program
  • Misuse of a frequent travel program to which rewards may be transferred under this program, if applicable
We may close this and any other accounts you have with Chase if this activity continues, or if there is any other indication of misuse. Please see your rewards program agreement for additional details. If you have questions, please call us anytime at the number on the back of your card.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by coolguy100
I have been using Chase unlimited freedom for Simon VGCs...received a chase secure message today:

We reviewed your credit card account and it appears certain activities indicate potential misuse of the rewards program. Examples of such activities include:
  • Selling, or participating in the sale or exchange of, gift cards, travel or other items of value obtained through use of rewards
  • Repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the purpose of generating rewards
  • Misuse of a third-party merchant or service provider program with which rewards may be used under this program
  • Misuse of a frequent travel program to which rewards may be transferred under this program, if applicable
We may close this and any other accounts you have with Chase if this activity continues, or if there is any other indication of misuse. Please see your rewards program agreement for additional details. If you have questions, please call us anytime at the number on the back of your card.

Darn, sorry to hear that they are cracking down on you. How much per month were you doing on that card?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:50 am

Nice you got a warning!
gm9928 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

You, unfortunately have been ratted out

There is a high likelihood that you are going to be shut down. I would be moving anything of value out of your account(s) asap before the axe falls.

While curtailing your behavior may spare you, most DPs from Chase are not positive. Please let us know what happens (and the amounts of MSing that you were doing.)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:20 pm

I just wanted to follow up on my attempt to purchase a SMGC with my Citi World MC.

I went in and asked to buy a single $1000 card. When I used my Citicard, the purchase was declined .....again.....as usual

However, I used my phone to let Citi fraud know that I was purchasing the item and a simple text message to them unfroze the account.

The difference today was that the young lady behind the desk let me use the now unfrozen Citicard to complete the purchase. She is new and I suspect that she just didn't know the SM rule about not permitting one to use a just declined cc to purchase GCs.
So I got my card, but in the normal SM world, I would not have been able to use this CC.
OTOH, maybe SM has changed their rules. So other DPs on this would be helpful.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by radonc1
I was at a new mall and my card declined. The rep said that I had to wait a day to use that card again, but after looking a bit sad, explaining that I didn't want to have to drive all the way back the next day, and showing the fraud-prevention text from BoA, he let me re-run the card. I explained that it was likely due to being my first time at the new location. I think it's still against their rules, but they seem more like guidelines. YMMV
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:23 pm

Does all Simon Malls sell 1000 VGCs? Or just the ones that have a "Management Office" listed under stores? Specifically, I'm looking to head to University Park Village in DFW, but can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:03 pm

I just wanted to follow up on my attempt to purchase a SMGC with my Citi World MC.

I went in and asked to buy a single $1000 card. When I used my Citicard, the purchase was declined .....again.....as usual

However, I used my phone to let Citi fraud know that I was purchasing the item and a simple text message to them unfroze the account.

The difference today was that the young lady behind the desk let me use the now unfrozen Citicard to complete the purchase. She is new and I suspect that she just didn't know the SM rule about not permitting one to use a just declined cc to purchase GCs.
So I got my card, but in the normal SM world, I would not have been able to use this CC.
After time, "training" your card to work for large purchases at Simon will fix this. This isn't a "Citi blocking Simon" problem.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by deker0
Darn, sorry to hear that they are cracking down on you. How much per month were you doing on that card?
checked my Chase unlimited freedom statements....only used this card in Aug, Sep and Oct 3 consecutive months...each month did $19k Simon VGC with $19.5k CL. didn't use it in Nov and Dec at all. I don't use this card if not in Simon, if Chase closes it, go ahead, I don't care, chase is just the pain in the rear.

oh, I also used the leaked link to get approved for a new Ink card for 80k bonus points recently.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:29 am

The Problem is bigger than you realize

checked my Chase unlimited freedom statements....only used this card in Aug, Sep and Oct 3 consecutive months...each month did $19k Simon VGC with $19.5k CL. didn't use it in Nov and Dec at all. I don't use this card if not in Simon, if Chase closes it, go ahead, I don't care, chase is just the pain in the rear.

oh, I also used the leaked link to get approved for a new Ink card for 80k bonus points recently.
The problem is bigger than you realize, Chase will shutdown all your personal and business cards, so I suggest you just move your MS to a different non-chase card. I believe that if you had spread the love you would have been better off.

For example 7k on the chase unlimited, 7k on lets say a Cap one quicksilver and 7k on the Citi double cash card. that's 21k a month.

I'm guessing you were trying to get like $2,000 worth of Chase ultimate rewards, the problem is even if you said you have a 150k annual salary spending 57k in 3 months is still a lot of spend, especially on a personal card and at one type of place.

I wish you luck though.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
After time, "training" your card to work for large purchases at Simon will fix this. This isn't a "Citi blocking Simon" problem.
I have tried many times to do this at SM without success. This is not a new card and it has been well used over the years for large organic purchases (4 digit range) without a beep from Citi. It also has a large line that I never come close to.

So it is hard for me to believe that this isn't a SM thing. However, I will now use the card (or attempt to ) on a routine basis (maybe once or twice a month) at SM for a single GC purchase just to see if I can get Citi fraud off my case.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:29 am

Move your points now! Get everything out of your accounts that you value. When the rats smell the cheese, they don't nibble, they devour it.
Chase has no compunction of closing out accounts and confiscating awards points.

As @joeaseer said, your problem will be that Chase will close out all of your business, not only all cards but all checking and savings accounts as well (other than loans). This is not insignificant since Chase is into so many different travel credit cards that it will impact your activities.

The fact that you have not used your Freedom card for 2 months after the splurge of activity to me is not a good indication that stopping your activity will change the direction of things to come. Furthermore, the use of an unauthorized link to obtain another card with a bonus was probably the proverbial Swiss that got the rodent's attention

Last edited by radonc1; Jan 4, 2020 at 7:37 am
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:00 am
Suspended

Chase has no compunction of closing out accounts and confiscating awards points.
This is what happens when you come to FT for advice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.