Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by DBFL

If you’re just talking CB cards, the numbers make sense as long as two things are true. First is that you don’t have access to Simon yourself. Second is that you have to really, really trust the purchaser.
If both are true, you should maximize the return by going for the $25k max purchase. Based on your math, which is definitely a little bit conservative, you’d get $390 before buyer comp and liquidation (since you’re only paying one mailing fee). This is assuming that you’d be paying the buyer a flat fee per trip. You’d probably want the buyer to change the pin on each card before mailing. Or text pictures of the cards so you could do so yourself.
Changing the PIN would be an absolute waste of time.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Probably true. I was thinking it would prevent liquidation. But the amount of people that know that the preset pin is the last 4 numbers is rather small. They could just run it as credit.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
I completely Disagree with your opin. I change every card I buy to the same 4 #s , why? That way I dont have to keep remembering the different #s on each card before walking in and if I make a mistake and input the wrong # having to glance at the card hoping the csr doesnt catch me., and yes in the past I had that exact problem and walked out empty handed

2ndly theres usually some cents remaining on most of the cards, at the supermkt that drains them no need to look at each card for the # I must input, alot quicker to get the job done
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta DM
For the supermarket, you can just run them as credit. No need to punch in #s .
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfr
For the supermarket, you can just run them as credit. No need to punch in #s .
not by me, I 1st click CC/DC on the screen, then swipe the card then automatically it wants to know the PIN, there maybe a way out of that but why bother, alot faster to input the Pin
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:10 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by craz
not by me, I 1st click CC/DC on the screen, then swipe the card then automatically it wants to know the PIN, there maybe a way out of that but why bother, alot faster to input the Pin
Swipe card
- box looking for pin appears
Press enter (green button)
- asks to confirm amount
Done
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by soy
Swipe card
- box looking for pin appears
- asks to confirm amount
Done
thx but its just as fast inputting the Pin IMO, also that doesnt solve the problem when getting the MOs , its alot safer IMO if I can simply rip thru inputting the Pin. I used to remember the last 4 digits on the 4 cards I was gonna use and much like staying at a different hotel each night, there will come the times when I need something or my card to be rekeyed and I tell them my room # and they say Im mistaken, eg room 1121 problem is that hotel only has 5 floors so nothing after 5XX, 1121 was the previous night. So too I used to mess up with the Pin, by having 1 # it solves any problem for me and works for me and no messing up
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:28 am

I used to set the same PIN on every card, to avoid looking at the digits after swiping (1 card is fine to remember, 4 is tough), and also to offer an extra (imaginary?) security layer.
But once you go over $100k monthly, it's just unmanageable, too much time wasted.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:29 am

GCM has monthly limits. If you’re hitting those limits, being able to purchase $25k in a day is very useful. Also, the $25k is available to liquidate immediately. No waiting for processing or mailing. Is the margin lower on Simon? Yes, but if you’re doing enough volume where you’re buying $10-25k at a time, Simon is a damn good option. It’s about volume at that point. If you’re buying $1500 at a time, 3x$500 from GCM is better for you.
I'm working for SW CP right now and this something I've thought about. I breezed through $20k Simons so quick I had to purposefully slow myself down. Now I bought $15k from GCM and it's been a drag. Buying $1.5-1.9 is slow going. Have $10k more to go and I'm still debating on cheaper cost vs faster spending.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I completely Disagree with your opin. I change every card I buy to the same 4 #s , why? That way I dont have to keep remembering the different #s on each card before walking in and if I make a mistake and input the wrong # having to glance at the card hoping the csr doesnt catch me., and yes in the past I had that exact problem and walked out empty handed

2ndly theres usually some cents remaining on most of the cards, at the supermkt that drains them no need to look at each card for the # I must input, alot quicker to get the job done
We were talking about from a security standpoint if mailing the cards to someone. Changing the pin doesn’t stop someone from using the cards if they are delivered to the wrong address. They can just be run as credit.
Changing the pin does make liquidating easier since you only have to remember one pin if you’re doing a bunch at a time. But that wasn’t the point.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti

We were talking about from a security standpoint if mailing the cards to someone. Changing the pin doesn’t stop someone from using the cards if they are delivered to the wrong address. They can just be run as credit.
Changing the pin does make liquidating easier since you only have to remember one pin if you’re doing a bunch at a time. But that wasn’t the point.
You understood my point. He's off on a weird tangent completely missing the context of my comment.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:56 pm

opened up a fidelity card for a family member recently. took it to a local simons. ~15k limit, charged ~5k on it, declined repeatedly. called up CS said they cleared the fraud alert, still could not go through. any one have issues with fidelity card at simons?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
When I did my break-even analysis, I assumed that I could liquidate $500's 4 at a time, and $1000's in a package with 2 $1000's and 1 $500.

I didn't worry about monthly limits. I have two Rakuten accounts, one that gives 1% CB and one that gives Amex points. They normally allow only one account per person, but they told me I could have two since I want to get my rewards different ways. While I mainly use the Amex option, I take cash when using my Rakuten credit card, because you can't get Amex points with that.

It's true that it can be a little annoying to order 3 cards at a time, but it's also annoying to drive back and forth to the mall. And while it can certainly take 6-9 days from date of order to delivery, I can place the online order as soon as the available credit exists in my account, rather than having to wait until I can get to the mall.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by 621mango
opened up a fidelity card for a family member recently. took it to a local simons. ~15k limit, charged ~5k on it, declined repeatedly. called up CS said they cleared the fraud alert, still could not go through. any one have issues with fidelity card at simons?
Most cards will have to go through a "learning" process until your charging history is established.

Simon normally will not allow a card to be used again on the same day after it is declined.

Try another day, and call Fidelity before you attempt the charge.

Also, SM normally will not let you use someone else's card - the name on the card must match the ID.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Haven’t seen much discussion on this… why isn’t Plastiq processing these $1k cards as a debit card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.